How many items of clothing do your kids have?
Bit of a *fluff*

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jack's Mummy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yes I know it's a silly question but I am genuinely curious and please don't judge me ph34r.gif

I think I have to admit my kids have too many...

My partner has put his foot down because the boys cannot shut their draws now they kind of over flow, after going thought a couple of draws this morning I may have to admit that he is right. 25 pairs of undies, 32 t-shirts are too many ohmy.gif  blush.gif don't even get me started on the pajamas or pants.

Soooo how old are your children and how many jumpers, t-shirts etc.. Do they own?  I really have no idea what I should cull it down to?

Lisa

#2 i-candi

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wow that's a lot. Dd has a lot but I've not bought her any as they were all hand me downs, such beautiful clothes as well! ETA dd is 10

DS not as many. I've only bought what he needs,  he probably has 5 pairs of shorts and same amount of t-shirts. 2 pairs of jeans and a few jumpers. 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of orthotic sandals. ETA DS is 13

Oh and they have just enough socks and underwear to probably last a week and a half, I wash weekly.

Edited by i-candi, 08 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#3 Ally'smum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

My 19 month old DD has 20 t-shirts (all of which were given to us) at the moment. It is ridiculous, too many and she is about to grow out of all of them, it doesn't even look like we will make it to the end of summer. She has two pairs of shorts, two skirts, 6 pairs of leggings and countless dresses (which don't get worn much).

I must admit she wears all of the t-shirts, but if I was buying her clothes I think 5 outfits at any one time is enough.

I use the same theory for DH, about 9 outfits for me.

#4 vanessa71

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I haven't counted recently, except for DS's jeans, he has 12 pairs. He will be growing out of some soon though.

I am probably not the right person to ask, given that my kids have always had more than enough clothes.

Edited by vanessa71, 08 January 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#5 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well I'm not about to go and count but here's a rough guess. DS does actually need some new clothes at the moment, I think because he's not wearing school uniform during the week we're running out of casual clothes all the time!

T-shirts - 7
'Nice' shirt - 2
Shorts - 5
Long pants - 4
Long sleeved t-shirt - 10
Jumper - 2 (but we live in north NSW so fairly warm climate)
Summer PJs - 3
Winter PJs - 3
Board shorts - 4
Several pirate/spiderman/ninja outfits
Boots, thongs, sandshoes - one pair each

All his stuff basically fits into one 'nursery wardrobe' - half hanging space, half drawer space.

#6 Puffin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Are they at school? I ask because I found that once they start school and are in uniform, they really really don't need much at all.

My kids usually don't have much, however we were given a lot of hand-me-downs recently and I am finding that it's too many. They just don't wear them at all.

So, for my school age children before the extras were given this is what they had, and honestly it was plenty..

DD -3-4 skirts
3-4 dresses
8-10 t-shirts/singlet tops
6-8 long sleeve t-shirts
2 pairs shorts (she prefers skirts/dresses)
4 pants
leggings, about 6
about 6 jumpers/cardis

DS had about 8-10 of everything. ie t-shirts. long sleeve t-shirts, jumpers, pants, shorts. Prob a few less shorts/pants

Heaps of socks and undies as they always seem to get lost in the wash...

Hope this helps a bit!

Edited by Puffin, 08 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#7 sophiasmum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

That is too many OP  laugh.gif

I wish I could tell you but honestly I cannot be bothered counting. They have enough I think, not too much & not too few.

At the start of every season, so April & September, I spend a day or two going through their cupboards & drawers & pulling out stuff that no longer fits & making a list of what we need to buy or replace at the shops, & then go on a spending spree.

#8 Jax12

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Another with too many I think...not sure of definite numbers but drawers are bulging.  We haven't actually bought too many clothes, not since DS was in 0s, but my sister regularly gives me huge boxes of her DS's old clothes and being the hoarder I am I keep it all.

#9 Lokum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Way too many. Lots of hand me downs, heaps of gifts, and a slight inability on my part to go past Pure Baby at 70% off.
The worst part is, we end up with a relatively small number on high rotation, and many of the nicer pieces hardly get worn.
For busy little boys, I'd say you could get away with  5 each of t shirts, shorts, track suits. 2 x good pants or jeans, 2nice shirts and 2x long sleeved tees and a good jacket/ cardigan.
Shoes we have are good sandals in summer, shoes in winter, plus cheap thongs, runners and gumboots. Could outfit the toddler for around $100 per season including good quality shoes if i had too. As it is, there are hundreds of $ of baby clothes.

#10 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I will only wash once a week so DS has:

7 x T Shirts
7 x Shorts
7 x Singlets (for night time)
10 pairs of sock because he is always loosing them
14 pairs of undies (he wears a fresh pair morning/night)
1 Special Outfit
1 Raincoat
1 Stylish hat
1 Kindy Hat
1 pair of Gumboots
1 pair of leather sandals with his inserts in them
1 Umbrella

That is everything he needs for summer, he will keep wearing those in Feb in addition to his school uniform.

#11 s'peachykeen

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I aim for about 8 'outfits' (dress/shorts+tee/jeans+tee+hoodie) for each season in each size. I'm buying a size ahead in the sales. I try to make sure the separates work with each other.

I'm sure we could get by with less again, but it's like anything - if I set a target that's too restrictive, I won't maintain it rolleyes.gif

#12 Zahhy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Too many, but sometimes it seems like not enough Tounge1.gif

I would love to cull their clothes down to just a few - 8 outfits a season seems really reasonable and manageable, but sometimes they just get so filthy/it's too wet/I'm too lazy to wash, and it feels like we run out of clothes.

I've been putting away clothes for the new baby this morning, and there's things that have never been worn that I've had since #1. If they don't get worn by the new baby, I'll be selling/donating them as we must have about 10 vaccuum bags of clothes that I'm storing for the Future Babies.

#13 2anewme

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

waaay waay too many!!

DD1 (4) has about 20 dresses, at least 10 skirts and counting.  
hardly any t-shirts or socks as she is always in a dress and sandals.

She refuses to wear pant/shorts/tracksuit pants.  I must admit she has just had a massive growth spurt and her foot grew a whole size without me realising it.  So we just donated about 15 pairs of shoes to the salvos.

Then there is all the dancing clothes, shoes, socks, accessories etc, plus the dress up costumes, swimming costumes the list never ends!

DD2 (21 months) has more clothes than I can bother to count.  But she's still a grub and will go through 3 or 4 outfits in a day.  She's also still so small and is only really just going into a size 1 so I have heaps of bigger clothes that I have been given for christmas/birthday etc that Im not sure when she will ever fit into them!

Edited by 2anewme, 08 January 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#14 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

At least 25 dresses, 20 skirts, 20 tees plus tanks, undies, leggings/shorts - they never ever ever wear pants except leggings. So there are no jeans/pants in there. Probably 10 plus jackets. I don't deny my kids a good wardrobe. Lots are preloved otherwise designer stuff bought at really cheap prices on sale mostly. Basics from K-Mart like tanks cost about $3 each. Enough school uniforms for a full week.

#15 Justaduck

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I just counted...before I reveal I will just say that Mum & Dad just came back from the USA and brought tons of clothes back with them as they were $2 or $3 a piece & DD is the only grandchild so they went overboard. Also DD is slow growing, so we certainly get moneys worth with her clothes (10 months and only in 0000 shorts, some 000 clothes still and 00 tops). Also my friends DD is almost exactly a year older than DD so she gives us bags of clothes all the time too.

32 shirts & sleeveless tops
20 dresses
A pair of overalls
25 pairs of pants/shorts/leggings (she has been in some of them since 3 months old though)
20 onesies
15 sleeveless onesies

#16 *LucyE*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

We have lots but its handy when I'm behind on washing original.gif

I wouldn't 'cull' so much as reduce purchasing in future. Kids grow quickly so they'll outgrow them soon enough. Just pick out the larger sized ones that will continue to work for the next size up and don't buy anymore of those items.

#17 Sif

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

At a guess...

The oldest has

3 t-shirts
2 pair jeans
3 pair shorts
2 button down shirts
4-5 undies
currently 2 pair of shoes.

Mr 11
4-5 t-shirts
5 pair of jeans (he's inherited a lot!)
3 pair of shorts
4-5 button down shirts (again inherited)
4-5 undies
1 pair shoes

Mr 7
8-9 t-shirts (mostly inherited, he got a new one for xmas)
2 pair jeans
6 pair shorts
5-6 button down shirts
10-15 pair undies
1 pair shoes

Mr 4
5-6 t-shirts
3 pair of pants I'd let him out of the house with (another 4-5 which are now too short)
7 pair shorts
20+ pair of undies (he recently toilet train and every went nuts buying him undies)
2 pair shoes + pair of rain boots

#18 Therese

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Far, far too many. Especially my youngest as she gets all her big sisters hand me downs plus new clothes...

#19 Bodacious Prime

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

My youngest has heaps of stuff, but it's all hand-me-downs and gifts. He's almost 2 and I would have only ever bought him about 3 or 4 items in his life.
The middle one is the same. She needs PJs at the moment but we're making do with shorts and T-shirts which she has loads of. I can't remember the last time I bought her any clothes, hang on yes I can, I bought her a pair of jeans last winter.
My eldest has only what she needs. Family tend to buy her pretty dressses for Christmas and birthdays. She has enough shorts and T-shirts for a week or so. She is in need of some leggings at the moment.
My sister actually joked to me at Christmas "Do you ever buy clothes for your kids? Every time I see them they're wearing something I bought for them".

#20 JRA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

DS is in school, so wears school uniform 5days/week, and during winter hockey 1 day/week.

So needs limited clothes. In summer holidays he tends to be in bathers/wetsuit a considerable amount of time.

I would say at the moment he has about 4 pairs of shorts that fit him, 6 or so shirts, probably 7 or 8 jocks and jumpers are simply 3 x hockey club jumpers, a nippers jumper, and two fleecys.

#21 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

no idea, DD has about 6 dresses (well she has more but 6 left that fit), 4 pairs of shorts, 6 skirts, 10 tops, 2 pairs of Jeans, 2 jumpers (keeping them for now but don't think they will fit next winter), and 3 jackets (again don't think they will fit next winter but keeping them just in case, if they don't fit they will either go to a friend or go to the salvos).

DS2, has 6 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of school shorts, 10 tops (more if you include his winter tops), 4 pairs of jeans, and 5 jackets.

DS1, 10ish tops ranging from long sleeved for winter to singlets for summer, whole bunch of shorts, no idea how many, he has fit into the same pair of shorts for 3 years now I think, 1 jumper (3 if you coun't the 2 school jumpers), 1 jacket, and 4 pairs of jeans.

#22 Propaganda

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I don't actually know.

I really need to go through and sort out what fits and what doesn't though, because I think there's more in her wardrobe/drawers than actually fits her properly.

#23 kuhla

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

My 12 year old would have a lot more if she looked after them original.gif

#24 Blueblue

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

is it too much when you cull out the youngest ds clothes of the size he is growing out of and the drawer still wont close? cool.gif

#25 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Im to scared to count.
She has clothes up to size 6 in storage
DD is almost 3
I may have a shopping issue

Im to scared to count.
She has clothes up to size 6 in storage
DD is almost 3
I may have a shopping issue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.