Holiday rental - refund of bond

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Splodge83

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

We rented a property for the weekend and were required to pay a $200 bond, fair enough.

Vacated property on Sunday morning before required check out time. We left it it good, clean condition, no breakages etc. We were only there 2 nights so didn't require more than a sweep through and wipe down for cleaning which we did prior to leaving.

How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for the refund of the bond money? Whenever I have rented a holiday place before it has either been refunded the next working day or straight back onto to my card at check out time.

WDYT?

We are in WA

#2 Dosninos

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I would expect that you should receive the bond back at the time of checkout.

#3 Splodge83

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

So being told it will take 14 days to process the bond refund is not acceptable?

I just want to make sure I'm not being unreasonable because I'm pretty p*ssed off right now

#4 Zesty

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think two weeks is a bit much. Was there any mention of a time frame in the small print when booking?

#5 JECJEC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

How did you pay the bond?

I would expect in back in the same manner as I paid it on checkout. ie cash - the cash returned. Eftpos or credit card, reversal done on Sunday. 2 weeks is taking the p*ss

#6 ~chiquita~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Well I'd be p*ssed off too if I was told it would take 14 days to get my money back.
That's inconvenient and unprofessional.

#7 Cath-In-SA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

When we rented a holiday house we always got told different time frames with the longest being 31 days!  Kick up mary hell until you get it back.  Find the Principal of the agency and ask to speak to them.

We eventually got it back within 2 weeks (down from their month) or so but it took calling them and the owner of the agency everyday to get this.

#8 emnut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

being quoted a 2 week maximum time is fairly normal around this area with a lot of holiday rentals but it doesn't usually take that long unless there is an issue - the properties I'm talking about are houses where key drop off is a separate location so the condition of the property can't be checked to return the bond on receipt of the keys

#9 Mpjp is feral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think it depends on what you rented, and how you rented it. Hotel - bond refund immediately. A holiday house through an agent - within a few days (afterall they are not on premise to check all is ok). House direct with owner (such as stayz or the like) then I think 7 or maybe 10 days would be normal - as the owner (or cleaner) needs to get there to check it is all ok.

#10 Splodge83

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

It was a holiday house through an agent, keys left in lock box on exit.

What I'm really peeved about is that she did not answer her phone all day monday or tuesday, and will not return any messages.

She sent me an email monday night telling me it will be 14 days for the refund.

I can see by the website that the house is being let again as of friday so they will obviously have done the exit inspection by then.

I paid by direct deposit into their account

#11 CalEliKat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

When we rented a holiday house earlier this year, our bond was back in our account within 24 hours,

#12 Splodge83

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am drafting an email to send how does the below sound

Dear XXX & XXX

I am incredibly frustrated and disappointed in the unprofessional manner in which your company has conducted themselves regarding the refund of my bond for **** which we rented from you for the 4/01/2013 and 5/01/2013.

Not only are my phone calls and messages going unanswered, but emails too. You are claiming to be overseas but are updating facebook with local pictures you have taken that day and answering your phone to other mobile numbers (just not mine) this makes it clear to me that you are dishonest and untrustworthy.

I have rented numerous holiday properties over the last 6 years in WA and never have I had such a farce to receive a bond refund. In my previous experiences the longest wait has been 2 business days. If you are trying to build a reputation and gain repeat business I would strongly recommend you look into your customer service attitude as 14 days to return money to someone is totally unacceptable. There were 3 families staying in the property over the weekend, so 3 separate opportunities for you to receive repeat custom, well not now.

I made a call to consumer protection yesterday afternoon and I am now officially advising you that if my money is not returned into my account today I will be lodging an official complaint against your company with them, with your local council and with the WA tourism board. I will also be very vocal about my displeasure on social media sites and travel rating sites where I see your company mentioned.

WDYT? Sound too p*ssed off? Not professional enough?

I'm no good at writing these things!

#13 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

It has always taken up to 14 days to receive the bond back when we have rented holiday houses. I am more than happy to wait that period of time.

#14 TillyTake2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Sounds perfect to me

#15 Splodge83

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (kriattica @ 09/01/2013, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has always taken up to 14 days to receive the bond back when we have rented holiday houses. I am more than happy to wait that period of time.

Really? Hmm, maybe I'm being unreasonable then.

I've never had to wait that long, it's always been immediate or within a day or so.

I think what is the most annoying is I tried calling Sunday when we vacated, no answer, sent email Sunday night with bank details asking for deposit to be credit back the following day, no response, called Monday morning, no answer, called 3 times Monday to check all was ok and the bond would be refunded, no answer. Email received Monday night saying she was overseas (lie) and it would be refunded in 14 days. Called Tuesday, no answer. Called Tuesday from my partners phone, picked up straight away, when I said my name she hung up.

I know she isn't overseas as she is updated FB with local pics and you can see the location tag on there.

I'm thinking it's all a bit dodgy and I'm not happy.

#16 Holidayromp

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I have a question - why in hell do they need to hold on to money that is not theirs for such a long period of time considering the place has probably had several other tenants through in the interim?  Bond should be automatically refunded upon the exit inspection.  It saves alot of problems for both parties.

#17 Holidayromp

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Oh and when we rented a holiday house it was just the credit card details that was put down.  We didn't need to pay a bond.  Nothing was ever charged to the card.

#18 dotty27

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

We have been looking at staying in holiday rental houses and some say in t and c's please allow up to 14 days for bond refund.

#19 emnut

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

depends what was in the t & c's where you rented it through.  Also if you haven't actually called consumer protection don't include that but rather state that it would be your intention to lodge a complaint with them.  If depositing to a bank account when you paid by direct deposit, expecting it today is also unreasonable - most banks would take overnight to process the transaction.

#20 Splodge83

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Nothing in T&C's on website say anything about bond refund.

I have spoken to Dept of Consumer protection yesterday and they have advised me to make a complaint in writing to agent and if no satisfactory result achieved lodge complaint with the them, their local council and the tourism board etc.

I am not expecting the money to be cleared today but I am expecting the deposit to be made today.

#21 Splodge83

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 09/01/2013, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question - why in hell do they need to hold on to money that is not theirs for such a long period of time considering the place has probably had several other tenants through in the interim?  Bond should be automatically refunded upon the exit inspection.  It saves alot of problems for both parties.

That's what I don't understand.

#22 malibu71

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

They should put in the booking details the time frame to expect the bond back - so they will have your bond and the next tenants bond ...

sounds like bad organisation on their part, I would prefer if I were them to get it all back asap one less thing to deal with but perhaps it is somewhere earning some interest might add up over a year of doing that for every weekend booking... no excuses for bank transfers these days to take that long.

#23 mumsoon1975

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I appreciate that it can be frustrating waiting for bonds to be repaid, and that the agent's customer service leaves a bit to be desired, but think your approach is a bit unreasonable. From what I've read, the only timeframe you've been given for repayment is a fortnight. While that may not be what you want, the agent hasn't yet failed to meet any obligation to you, nor have they broken any laws. Maybe just see this as a learning experience and make sure it's one of the details you check in future.

#24 gadfly271

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I do think that 2 weeks is too long to wait to get your bond back seeing how easy it is to do a internet transfer, however I also think expecting someone to return business-related calls and emails on a Sunday is also a bit much.

Maybe next time ask what their bond-return timeframe is before booking, and a simple follow-up email on the Monday confirming full bond refund is all you need.

#25 Splodge83

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Will just wait and see I guess. I haven't sent the email but I am far from happy with this company and their lack on professionalism.

The calls on Sunday were to advise that we had vacated and left keys in the same place as we found them as they did not tell us where they wanted them left. I didn't expect a reply on the Sunday but did expect a response on the Monday and expect her to answer my call Monday morning when calling to check keys were received ok and bond would be transferred as per my request.

Admittedly I should have asked at the time of paying when they were planning return the bond, but I have rented holiday homes previously and never had an issue receiving bond back as I previously said the longest I have ever waited to 2 days.

I don't think me making a couple of phone calls which have gone unanswered and sending a email that has not been replied to is unreasonable, especially when this is my money she is holding on to for no good reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.