Share your "That's not a" recipe

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 ~Mintie~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yeah it's a bit of a spin off...
So they aren't recipes but it doesn't mean some of them aren't delicious. Do you have a favourite cheat dish to share? I made a great variation of the choc ripple cake for Christmas by adding some coffee, and I must say it was absolutely divine! Just half a shot of espresso coffee mixed into the cream that goes between the biscuits, then I put regular plain cream on the outside (stole an idea from someone on EB and made it green and in the shape of a wreath, whacked some Jaffas on the top and Bob's ya uncle wink.gif ).

So share your cheats with me, I often cook/bake from scratch but sometimes I just don't have the time. I'd love to hear some other "that's not a" recipes.

biggrin.gif

#2 FiveAus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Apple and Sour Cream Slice

1 packet of home brand vanilla cake mix
150 g butter (melted)
1 400g tin of pie apples
1 small carton sour cream
Cinnamon

Mix melted butter with cake mix and press into the base of a slice tin.
Bake at 180 c for about 10 minutes or until light golden.
Fold apple through sour cream and spread over cooked base.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and return to oven for a further 10 minutes.

Allow to cool, then slice and enjoy.

#3 Jax12

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Similar to yours, I made a variation of a choc ripple cake that was ridiculously delicious.  I had left over ganache from some chocolate reindeer tarts and had cream in the house, so layered ganache, choc ripple biscuit, cream, choc ripple biscuit, cream and drizzled left over thinned down butter cream icing over the top into a brandy glass.  Oh.my.god.  It was soooooo good!  And I'm not even a huge fan of choc ripple cake.

#4 Feral Borgia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Peanut butter balls...think Reese peanut butter cups, but better:

Cup of crunchy peanut butter
Half cup of butter or margarine

Melt that in a saucepan

Tip in cup of rice bubbles
Half cup icing sugar mix
Pinch salt

Roll into little balls and refrigerate till firm

Melt chocolate (a block should do!) and dip balls in to coat

Refrigerate again until chocolate is set

#5 FiveAus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 08/01/2013, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Melt that in a saucepan

Half cup icing sugar mix
Pinch salt

That sounds deadly. Might pinch that one for the next morning tea at work.

#6 PatG

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Packet of gingernut biscuits (arnotts - the other brands don't work so well)
Condensed milk
Cocoa

Put the gingernut biscuits in a round bottomed patty pan (like this type http://www.getprice.....1_2978-1dl.jpg) and place in 180 deg C oven for a few minutes, when the biscuits will easily push down take out.  Use a spoon or something to push the biscuits down so they are the shape of the pans, leave to cool.

Mix some cocoa with condensed milk and spoon into gingernut shells, put in fridge.  You can drizzle with melted chocolate....

#7 Jax12

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

PP that makes me think of yum yum balls - grind Marie biscuits in a food processor.  Add condensed milk and cocoa, mix and roll into balls and coat in cocconut.  Set in fridge.

This is not helping my afternoon sugar cravings!

#8 skylark

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Those peanut butter balls sound insane, I am currently doing a 12 week weight loss mission, but I think I have found my treat at the end of the rainbow (although I think I'll dip them in white choc).

#9 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

My MIL is like a 4 ingredients cook. Everything is mostly can of cream of mushroom soup based.

Her chilli con carne though is onion, mince, can of baked beans and chilli powder.

#10 FeralBob!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Lucretia, that sounds divine  wub.gif

Mine is adults only   ph34r.gif

1 pack ginger nut biscuits
About 200 mls whiskey
1 carton thickened cream
Some chocolate shavings

Put the whiskey in a bowl, dunk the ginger nuts and place in a single layer in a shallow dish. Continue until all the gingernuts are used. Whip the cream until you have peaks and layer over the whiskey gingernuts. Top with chocolate shavings. Refrigerate for a couple of hours and serve.

#11 mummy2amelia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

This is how my Mother makes porcupine balls

500 g mince
Cup of rice

Mix together and form into balls with cube of cheese in the middle.  Put in oven proof dish and cover with tin of condensed tomato soup.  Put in oven for 1 hour.  

#12 mum2345

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Linguine pasta with pesto:

Packet of 375g dried linguine pasta
Jar of pesto

Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions until tender. Drain. Return to pan.

Add pesto to pasta. Toss to combine.

#13 Feral Borgia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

They're pretty good!

Years ago when DH and I were dating I had Christmas with his family on his parents farm...he is one of six and the extended family is huge, so his mum, my now MIL was feeding the hordes ...but day after Boxing Day she made a "salad" (and I use the word salad in its broadest possible sense) entirely out of canned goods...so in it was

Can of artichokes
Can of champignons
Can of corn kernels
Can of three bean mix
Canned baby beets

I kid you not. I kind of watched with morbid fascination as each item was dragged out of the pantry.....she (wisely  I feel) did not dress it, given the quantity of vinegar already in each canned component.

It was vile, but if there is a nuclear war, I am heading for her pantry...you could feed an entire family for a year based on what she has in her larder .....

#14 noi'mnot

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 08/01/2013, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Melt that in a saucepan

Half cup icing sugar mix
Pinch salt

This has me very (and quite possibly indecently) excited.

QUOTE (PatG @ 08/01/2013, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Packet of gingernut biscuits (arnotts - the other brands don't work so well)
Condensed milk
Cocoa

Put the gingernut biscuits in a round bottomed patty pan (like this type http://www.getprice.....1_2978-1dl.jpg) and place in 180 deg C oven for a few minutes, when the biscuits will easily push down take out.  Use a spoon or something to push the biscuits down so they are the shape of the pans, leave to cool.

Mix some cocoa with condensed milk and spoon into gingernut shells, put in fridge.  You can drizzle with melted chocolate....

My friend does a similar thing, but instead of fancy "cooking" like mixing the cocoa and condensed milk, she uses a can of the caramel stuff that is in the stupormarket next to the condensed milk. They're actually really yummy, I kept asking her for the recipe the first time I had them and didn't believe her that this is all it took! original.gif

Edited by noi'mnot, 08 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#15 PigNewton

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

That layered Mexican dip would count, wouldn't it?

#16 trebambinibelli

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Easiest fruit cake in the world - and tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen!

1 kg mixed fruit
700 mls chocolate milk
2 cups self raising flour

Soak mixed fruit with chocolate milk overnight.  Slowly add flour and then mix well.  Pour into baking tray and bake for 1.5 - 2 hrs at 150oC. Yum!

(I add a bit of allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg while mixing flour in)

ETA to add temperature

Edited by trebambinibelli, 08 January 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#17 whale-woman

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Coconut/choc biscuits

can of condensed milk
packet choc chips
few cups of coconut  (so its firm enough to spoon out & hold together)

spoonfuls on baking tray
cook till starts to brown on top
eat.

Edited by whale-woman, 08 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#18 Jjbeanz

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Cook a batch of meatballs and pour a tin of condensed tomato soup over the top! It tastes pretty good!

#19 HeroOfCanton

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Honey chicken:

8 drumsticks in a cast iron pot
sprinkle with plain flour & pepper

mix 1 & a bit cups chicken stock with 2 spoonfuls of honey
pour over drumsticks

cook at 180 degrees for an hour covered, uncover for 20 minutes.

Serve with rice & steamed veg

#20 Mmmcheese

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Mars bar slice! Chop 3 mars bars, melt in a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of butter. Once all melted, mix in with 3 cups of rice bubbles. Press into a greased tin, and pop in the fridge. I usually drizzle some melted chocolate over the top to make it more fancy wink.gif love that stuff!

#21 Frightbat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

My mums spag bol:

1 onion, diced.
250g mince
1 tin condensed tomato soup.

For DH's 'gourmet' version, add a stack of Tuscan seasoning.

I made a variation of a chocolate ripple cake where I added a couple of bars of the White knight peppermint chocolates all smashed up into the cream and layered it between the biscuits. Then smashed up another few bars to sprinkle over the top of the cream outside.

One day I'll get around to trying it with jaffas.

Edited by Helena Handbasket, 08 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#22 CalEliKat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

try choc ripple cake with crushed crunchie bars through the cream.  Evil evil stuff

#23 CalEliKat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

My effort today was 500g greek yoghurt, a cup of skim milk and blended strawberries and blueberries, mixed together and put in the ice cream machine.  Frozen yoghurt central.  I have to say though choc ripple cake and my frozen yoghurt are about as far as I go when it comes to non recipe recipes

#24 elizabethany

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Morrocan Chicken

Coat cut chicken pieces (strips, chunks, however you like it) in Masterfoods Morrocan spices.  Pan fry in a small amount of oil, serve with lettuce and cucumber.

This is great in a wrap as well.

#25 CleverChook

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

We call these "Matchsticks"

Frozen packet puff pastry. Cut into rectangles about 10 X 5 cm.  Bake in a hot oven until puffed and golden.  Leave to cool.  Split each one into two through the middle (easier than it sounds, a line develops as they cook).  Spread with your yummiest raspberry jam, cream, then put the top half back on and dust with icing sugar.  

Lovely for a morning or afternoon tea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.