Sleeping arrangement suggestions.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

So my DS is a beyond shocking sleeper. I am working on it but it's been  a slow process with little result so far.

Our second child is due in July.

Currently DS and I share a bed.

We can fit a cot in our room. I really, truly don't want to bed share with both kids and I especially am not comfortable bed sharing with a newborn.

We've had so many problems with DS's sleep that I want to try and do things different next time.

So I was thinking of putting the baby in its own room from day one. Our house is tiny so the room is right next door.

Just looking for some advice.

Should I try and get DS back into a cot in a separate room before hand? I don't even have a cot at the moment.

or
should I leave DS in bed with us and side car a cot to the foot of the bed and have the baby sleep in there? I am concerned about the baby waking my already frequent waking ds. I think one of the ways i ****ed up ds is by not letting him cry and feeding him when he became unsettled instead of waiting a few minutes before he went back to sleep.

Or should I keep DS in my bed and then put the baby in another bedroom and then one day hope that DS and his new siblings will share a room and bed.

ETA my biggest concern with DS being woken by the baby is that he only resettles with boob (I'm working on that) and I don't want to have to feed him back to sleep and try to settle the baby at the same time.
Any suggestions?

Edited by Sunnycat, 08 January 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#2 VintageEyes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

My DS is a shocking sleeper. When I waspregnant we started  co sleeping because I was too tired to keep putting him back to bed.

DD is in a cot in our room (as was ds when he was born) and most nights DS ends up in our bed. DS very rarely got woken by dd and if he did he was straight back to sleep snyway.

DD won't settle before 11ish but then she will only wake up maybe once or not at all. I do exactly the same with her as I did with ds. I just think some kids are bad sleepers and theres not much you can do about it.

#3 Jaffacakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Both my elder kids have been in their own room from pretty much day 1 (although we had a breathing monitor for both to reassure me.)

This bub will have to room in with us for a while (I'm not quite sure how that will go!), then it will either share with a sibling or get its own room (probably when aged around 6 months unless we can't handle it earlier). DS also currently co-sleeps with us (well for second half of the night anyway). I think our current plan is just to let DS go along as per normal and shift the baby around if having them in our room is problematic (they really will be too little to know what is going on, whereas unless I can magically "cure" DS sleeping issues in the next few months, I do not want to be trying to deal with him in the middle of the night as well as a newborn).

#4 axiomae

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

You don't say how old your DS is, but I would be assuming that he is a toddler and would have some language and ability to be reasoned with. Perhaps you could set up a room for him and start telling him that when the baby comes this is where he will sleep because he's a big boy etc... only babies sleep in the bed etc. Maybe being woken by a newborn will see him want to go into his room! You could always have DH transition him when you stay in the hospital after the birth which would involve settling him without boob.

Just thoughts - my DD is a pretty good sleeper so my heart goes out to you.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.