Jack Reacher Fans!
No, not the movie...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix Blue

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I only discovered Jack Reacher mid way through last year. I must have been under a rock, or too obsessed with Harry Bosch...

I'm reading all the books in order on my kindle and loving them. I'm only up to No. 4, Running Blind, and I can't put it down. They seem to be getting better!

So do you have a favourite Jack Reacher book?

Which Reacher book is the movie based on?

And how much sway must Tom Cruise have in Hollywood to get cast as Jack Reacher? What a devastating choice  cry1.gif

#2 Cheryl_v

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I haven't seen the movie but I believe the movie is based on the 9th book One Shot although they seem to have taken some liberties with the bad guys.  FWIW I read something the other day from either Lee Childs or the director which basically said there is noone in Hollywood who would physically personify Reacher so they went for someone they felt would be able to give him the intensity instead - not sure how they got Tom Cruise from that description because in the books it is constantly reiterated that lots of women want to sleep with Reacher but I can't think of many who want to sleep with Tom Cruise Tounge1.gif  

Personally I don't have a favourite but I am becoming less interested in the newer books as he seems to be more of a Mary Sue the more the author writes him.  The ones from when he was still an MP or working with his MP team are the ones I like best I think, there's more hard work and less guessing or luck involved.

#3 RealityBites

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Love love Jack Reacher.

And all I can say is that Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher rant.gif

#4 joy6328

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (RealityBites @ 23/01/2013, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love love Jack Reacher.

THIS!!!

He is my absolute favourite character.

I'm not sure I could name a favourite book - I adored every single one of them...

#5 asdf89

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I think Tom Cruise's production company made the Jack Reacher movie... so he just cast himself in the main role.

I liked the books and don't think they could have chosen someone more different!

#6 Ireckon

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

There is a FB page dedicated to Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher.

I love them all, though do agree that the last few seem to have lost their edge.

From the previews of the movie, it seems to be shot hobbit style, all camera angles to make Tc look bigger than he is. The can try, but he is not 250 lbs, or 6'5 or a head taller than average folk. Ray Stevenson would have been an awesome pick for the role. He did a stint in this season of Dexter and has everything that Reacher is for me. Though Gerard Butler would work as well.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (RealityBites @ 23/01/2013, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love love Jack Reacher.

Big fat YES to this.

I will NOT be watching the movie because TC is in it.

#8 purplekitty

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm boycotting the movie.

#9 BreezaH

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I just read the first book earlier this week and really enjoyed it. Have requested the 2nd from my library and I'll try and work my way through the series over the next couple of months. I won't see the movie because it's based on the 9th book and I never watch a movie before reading the book. And also, I don't like Tom Cruise and even after one book, I just can't see him in that role...

#10 RealityBites

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Ireckon @ 24/01/2013, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a FB page dedicated to Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher.

I love them all, though do agree that the last few seem to have lost their edge.

From the previews of the movie, it seems to be shot hobbit style, all camera angles to make Tc look bigger than he is. The can try, but he is not 250 lbs, or 6'5 or a head taller than average folk. Ray Stevenson would have been an awesome pick for the role. He did a stint in this season of Dexter and has everything that Reacher is for me. Though Gerard Butler would work as well.

I am a vocal member of the FB group  biggrin.gif

#11 NunSoFeral

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (asdf89 @ 24/01/2013, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked the books and don't think they could have chosen someone more different!

Ditto - he is Anti-Jack.
And a t*at.

QUOTE (purplekitty @ 24/01/2013, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm boycotting the movie.

Me too.

OP - The movie is from One Shot.

I think Clive Owen would have been great. He is tall and built and rugged hheart.gif
Even someone like Sam Worthington if you could dub his voice.
Liza Minelli would have been better than Tom.

Really liked Killing Floor, and the bomb on the train one was good...61 Hours I remember as a good one.

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 24 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#12 Peppery

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think this thread has convinced me to start reading the series after i have finished the current book i am listening to.

Looks like i will have to boycott the movie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.