Blistered Sunburn

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Have you ever had a blistered sunburn? What did you do? How long did yours last for??

I dont want to hear from people to use sunscreen, because I did and it was reapplied several times, was not out of date either.

I have sought medical advice and was told to use solarcaine upto 4 times per day.

I am watching to make sure it doesn't become infected, but if it does I will see the GP.

#2 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Whereabouts is it? (on the body?)

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

DD was burnt in the shade with sunscreen on on a mild early 20s day. She was 11mo.

Her face blistered. Went to hospital. If the burns were elsewhere they would have put silver burn foil on her. As it was around the eyes they could not. They said neurofen for pain, keep fluids up for hydration. Keep an eye on the blisters and not to pop them. Of course as they were under her eyes DD rubbed her eyes and popped blisters. No signs of infection, no fever from infection (did not give neurofen, but was told if she was upset in pain to give).

Was cleared up within 5 days.

Edited by lsolaBella, 09 January 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#4 purpleblackqueen

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 09/01/2013, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whereabouts is it? (on the body?)

Left ankle and lower leg and a touch on my foot and the actual patch of blisters in my lower left leg, above my inner ankle

#5 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I have never had sunburn which has blistered.

It's pretty easy to avoid if you take the appropriate precautions.

My advice is to follow your GP's suggestion.

#6 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Sounds painful.

Can you put your feet up today and rest? Watch some movies with the kids? Have a nap?

#7 Reshad

from my experience, unless you fall asleep in the sun. you feel the heat of the sun and realise that your skin is being burned. It is usually at this point that you seek shade or cover up in some way ie towel over head or neck etc or apply more sunscreen.

I am not sure how it is possible to get so burnt by the sun that you get blisters with out knowing that either the sunscreen wasn't working or some extra covering/shade was needed?

You can actually feel the sun burning your skin ......

#8 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Mine always blisters.  I just use an aloe Vera spray and ride it out, my blisters usually pop the same day they appear.

#9 purpleblackqueen

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (MrsDamonSalvatore @ 09/01/2013, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine always blisters.  I just use an aloe Vera spray and ride it out, my blisters usually pop the same day they appear.

Mine blistered today, so hopefully the blisters will pop today.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (MrsDamonSalvatore @ 09/01/2013, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 09/01/2013, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine blistered today, so hopefully the blisters will pop today.

Blistered sunburn means you have second degree burns. PLEASE do NOT pop your blisters, it is NOT a good thing that they pop. The blisters at least give you some defence against infection.
If you have blisters today that equal an area bigger than a 50 cent piece PBQ you need to see your doctor.

MrsDamonSalvatore, if you blister so easily I would consider completely staying away from the sun. Every time you blister you increase the risk on melanoma enormously.

#11 zande

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Do people not realise that sunscreen only multiplies your skin's natural protection, it doesn't mean you can slather it on and stay in the hot sun for hours without expecting to get burnt. It is not the total protection people think it is!

#12 purpleblackqueen

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 09/01/2013, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blistered sunburn means you have second degree burns. PLEASE do NOT pop your blisters, it is NOT a good thing that they pop. The blisters at least give you some defence against infection.
If you have blisters today that equal an area bigger than a 50 cent piece PBQ you need to see your doctor.

MrsDamonSalvatore, if you blister so easily I would consider completely staying away from the sun. Every time you blister you increase the risk on melanoma enormously.

They are oly small, I wasn't going to pop them.

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 09/01/2013, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had blisters after sunburn, little tiny blisters that I don't notice until I rub my hand over them and then they pop.

It usually then just peels.

How big are the blisters? Small, large? Match head size or 5 cent piece size for example.  Are they full of fluid?

They are only small, but a lot of them, Some have fluid and some dont.

#13 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

I hope so for your sake PBQ, just be careful cause when my blisters pop, I get fluid run everywhere from the blisters. It's pretty gross, but most of the time It's on my shoulders so I can just wrap a Towel around my shoulders when it starts. Dunno what you would do with your legs :-/

Even my "minor" sunburn blisters, luckily I haven't been burnt in quite sometime and I have been trying to avoid getting burnt again in all ways possible.

#14 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 09/01/2013, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever had a blistered sunburn? What did you do? How long did yours last for??

I dont want to hear from people to use sunscreen, because I did and it was reapplied several times, was not out of date either.

I have sought medical advice and was told to use solarcaine upto 4 times per day.

I am watching to make sure it doesn't become infected, but if it does I will see the GP.

The answer is simple, do as the doctor says.

QUOTE (Swahili @ 09/01/2013, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never had sunburn which has blistered.

It's pretty easy to avoid if you take the appropriate precautions.

My advice is to follow your GP's suggestion.

QUOTE (zande @ 09/01/2013, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do people not realise that sunscreen only multiplies your skin's natural protection, it doesn't mean you can slather it on and stay in the hot sun for hours without expecting to get burnt. It is not the total protection people think it is!

Absolutely. That is why it is slip, slop, slap. not just slop!!

#15 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I didn't know that, thanks STBG. I'll make sure I keep that I n mind!  They are never big blisters, just like little pimples but I have been much more sun safe since having Ethan!! Plus I hate getting burnt and burn so easily  :-(

#16 purpleblackqueen

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (JRA @ 09/01/2013, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The answer is simple, do as the doctor says.

Absolutely. That is why it is slip, slop, slap. not just slop!!

I did do the slip slop slap------I had a shirt on, I had a hat on and I had sunscreen on, not much you can do when on the beach as far as feet, ankles go- you can't exactly wear socks. rolleyes.gif  and yes I was as far under an umbrella as I could get, considering I was sharing it too, and when I noticed how sunburnt I was getting I put one of the kids towels over my feet.

#17 kuhla

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I don't recall the OP asking for a lecture.  She asked for advice.  

Sorry I don't have any but it sounds painful.  Hope it eases soon.

#18 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

did do the slip slop slap------I had a shirt on, I had a hat on and I had sunscreen on, not much you can do when on the beach as far as feet, ankles go- you can't exactly wear socks.  and yes I was as far under an umbrella as I could get, considering I was sharing it too, and when I noticed how sunburnt I was getting I put one of the kids towels over my feet.

You asked.

Often I see people, and I do the same, as you did in the end, put a towel, sand etc over the ankles, shins, feet etc. Burnt feet are the most painful thing

#19 ninaswalk

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'd love to say I'm wonderful and never been burnt but I can remember a number of time getting bad blisters when I was younger (a long time ago!)  Not much you can do - cold showers etc and just ride it out.

The best relief I ever found was Nutrimetics after sun lotion - probably too late once you blister but I always found if I put it on the night I got burnt it was stop it burning all night and never got blisters afterwards.  I still use it now after I've had a big day in the sun even when I'm not burnt at all.

Oh and if you've burnt that badly with sunscreen on, I'd be changing sunscreens.

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (MrsDamonSalvatore @ 09/01/2013, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't know that, thanks STBG. I'll make sure I keep that I n mind!  They are never big blisters, just like little pimples but I have been much more sun safe since having Ethan!! Plus I hate getting burnt and burn so easily  :-(

In my stupid period when I used to intentionally get sunburn I would blister very easily too but I thought that it was cool because I would end up brown afterwards sad.gif  I got into so much trouble from my doctors as all that skin is now damaged and I have to be very vigilant now watching for mole and freckle changes. I do not go into the sun for sunbaking at all and I am always covered, if I had my time again I wouldn't be such a d***head. mad.gif

QUOTE (kuhla @ 09/01/2013, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't recall the OP asking for a lecture.  She asked for advice.

If you ask for advice then you get it, if it seems like a lecture then it is what it is.
There is no harm in becoming informed via EB.

#21 purpleblackqueen

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Some of the blisters have now burst.

#22 lamarque

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I used to blister a bit in my early teens - a long time ago now but yes not much you can really do except wait for the blisters to go down naturally and keep up the aloe vera.  It's an ouchy kind of area too.

#23 strawberrycakes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

When I was about 16/17 I fell asleep topless sunbaking on the beach.  I did not know how burnt I was until the following day & I didn't notice the blisters all over my chest either until I had a shower & the towel burst them all when I was drying.

It was excrutiating. I remember calling my Mum at work balling my eyes out begging her to tell me something i could use to ease the burning itchy pain.

I tried cold showers but they only releived the itchy burn whilst the cold water was running on it, I shoved frozen peas down my shirt & layed on the cold tiles. Nothing worked.

I know this obviously is not advised or the right thing to do but seriously the only thing that took away the pain was a very very hot shower.

I can honestly say I have never ever been sunburnt like that again.

#24 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hi STBG.
I appreciate your nursing background but the advice you are giving is very outdated.
Blisters do not really form a barrier to infection, and the contents of the blister fluid (various prostaglandins) actually impede woun healing. Big bulky blisters are actually hard to manage.
Current burn management of superficial partial thickness burns (whatever the source, including sunburn) is actually to deroof the blisters (cut away the blister at its edges), and dress the raw surface. Tiny blisters do not require medical intervention, but anything larger than 1.5 by 1.5 cm should be seen by a GP or nurse, the blister should be de-roofed, and an appropriate dressing applied (silver such as Acticoat is appropriate, but the latest Cochrane review does not find any anti-bacterial benefit to silver dressings over plain Jelonet or others).
The summary is that anyone with large blisters should go see a GP and get appropriate dressings.

ETA - re: the risk of melanoma - the maximum relative risk of melanoma after repeated sunburn is 2.2 (so a doubling of the risk). The risk of melanoma in Australia varies by latitude, but a national average is 40/100,000. A doubling of that risk is 80/100,000.
Squamous cell carcinoma is more likely (and can also result is disfiguring surgery/can kill, but most SCCs do not)
I am not disagreeing with the notion that sun protection is vitally important and blistering sunburn is bad. But the concept of increasing melanoma risk enormously is not accurate. And the aim, I think, should be to encourage sun safe behaviour without excessively frightening those who have been burned in the past.

Edited by AntiBourgeoisie, 09 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#25 AMPSyd

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Last year I liberally used a sunscreen from the chemist (in date) when I walked. I still got burnt. My DH said - you should put sunscreen on and I said - well I did. I now steer clear of that brand.

I sooooooo remember getting nastily burnt as a teen - a burn that blistered and peeled.

I don't have any advise though my FIL swears by paw paw cream (you can get from chemists) that does soothe burns - well it works for burns from hot ovens etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.