Would you wax your 3yo's unibrow?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 EBKatie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

That is exactly what 'Teen Mom' star, Farrah Abraham did to her three-year-old daughter, Sophia. The 21-year-old wrote a blog about the attempted removal of her daughter's excess eyebrow hair.

Read more here: 'Teen Mom' star waxes three-year-old

What do you think? Is waxing a three-year-old's unibrow justifiable or is it encouraging an unhealthy self image?

#2 baddmammajamma

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

You know what scares me?

I saw this topic in the "We Are Discussing" section, and I knew it was about Farrah before I even opened this thread. ninja.gif

Must not get sucked into MTV trainwrecks...must not get sucked into MTV trainwrecks...

#3 CountryFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

No.

But I would also not spend $16 000 on plastic surgery as she has just done so I'm thinking we are not similar in many, many of our life choices.

#4 casime

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Why are we calling this person a "star"?  WTF is she?

#5 StopTheGoats

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I wouldn't dream of it in a million years.

#6 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Never.

#7 mummahh

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think the question is could you wax your 3yo's unibrow? I couldn't imagine DS putting up with that.

#8 ubermum

QUOTE (casime @ 09/01/2013, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are we calling this person a "star"?  WTF is she?

Nothing. She's a teenager that got knocked up. In fact, she's the opposite of what I want my kids to aspire to.

#9 mummahh

removed - double post

Edited by mummahh, 09 January 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#10 Feral like a Lemon

QUOTE (EBKatie @ 09/01/2013, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...'Teen Mom' star, Farrah Abraham...

roll2.gif

So easy to be a "star" these days.

#11 Squeekums Da Feral

I expect no less from Farrah oddly
Looks rule her life and seems will rule Sophias as well.

I dont even use wax on myself, never ever on a child. Same goes for tweezing.
Just to cover, I wouldnt shave unibrow either.

#12 deejie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

No. I think it is very sad that young girls are "beautified" at such an early age. It's right up there with the atrocities committed on Toddlers and Tiaras.

#13 Ferelsmegz

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

No!

#14 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have no idea who this person is and I have no intention of clicking onto the link to find out. Trash stories such as those need no further traffic, encouragement, notice, whatever.

It's a ridiculous question to ask.

#15 BadCat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, I just dip my DD in wax once a week.  Have done since birth.  She looks just like a barbie doll, or will when I get her some implants.

#16 Amy 1976

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Not a popular opinion but I would use wax to separate a childs monobrow.

I used to get teased for having a monobrow and was so pleased when I got old enough to wax it myself.

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 09/01/2013, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I just dip my DD in wax once a week.  Have done since birth.  She looks just like a barbie doll, or will when I get her some implants.

Do you find it hard to keep her hair extensions on?  Or is she just banned from all play activities that require movement?

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Farrah has many parenting techniques that are very questionable, this does not surprise me at all.
I know I shouldn't watch the rubbish but she is a piece of work in so many ways. She is an adult now, it is clear that adulthood has not improved her decision making.

I'd be more concerned about trying to break poor little Sophia's extreme dummy addiction than whether she has hairy eyebrows.

ETA-To the person on the blog who compared it with piercing baby's ears....I hate that as well.

Edited by soontobegran, 09 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#19 casime

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

My 1 year old DS has just been promoted to the next class in swimming.  Should I wax his chest to improve his performance in the pool?   unsure.gif

#20 BadCat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Do you find it hard to keep her hair extensions on? Or is she just banned from all play activities that require movement?

Mostly she just sits in a little glass case looking pretty.

Seriously though, I just can't begin to fathom the mind that would wax a child for the sake of vanity. Hell, I don't even encourage my nearly 14yo DD to shave her pits.  If society wants her to be hairless  and "perfect" then society can go **** itself sideways.

Edited by BadCat, 09 January 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#21 KeepTheFaith

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

At the risk of being mocked by EB, I am actually GENUINELY concerned about this.

DD (2.5) has quite a distinctive mono-brow. She is currently in Day Care, where no one could give two hoots about it. But as she gets older, I worry about her being teased for it.

FTR, I couldn't care less about it. But as an adult 'survivor' of some pretty extreme childhood bullying myself, I hate to think of her getting teased. Yes, I will do my best to instil confidence, and a variety of witty responses, in DD. But I am still aware that she may be mocked, and I hate the thought of her being hurt  cry1.gif

In all honesty, I don't know WHAT to do about it. I wouldn't wax, but if she asked, I might consider shaving...(dons flame proof suit)...

#22 asdf89

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I can understand removing the hair if the kid was older and was self conscious/being teased... but a 3 y/o wouldn't even be aware of it. Now she'll be self conscious about it for life.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 09/01/2013, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mostly she just sits in a little glass case looking pretty.

Sort of like their dear little dog which spends it's life in a cage so it doesn't mess the house. sad.gif

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (KeepTheFaith @ 09/01/2013, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the risk of being mocked by EB, I am actually GENUINELY concerned about this.

DD (2.5) has quite a distinctive mono-brow. She is currently in Day Care, where no one could give two hoots about it. But as she gets older, I worry about her being teased for it.

FTR, I couldn't care less about it. But as an adult 'survivor' of some pretty extreme childhood bullying myself, I hate to think of her getting teased. Yes, I will do my best to instil confidence, and a variety of witty responses, in DD. But I am still aware that she may be mocked, and I hate the thought of her being hurt  cry1.gif

In all honesty, I don't know WHAT to do about it. I wouldn't wax, but if she asked, I might consider shaving...(dons flame proof suit)...

It is really normal for a toddler to have a fine coating of fluff on their backs, arms and their eyebrows. I have found that to a large extent it sorts itself out before the age when the child feel self conscious about it.
One of my DD's (won't mention which one ) was a really hairy little girl but as she grew it seemed to fall out and now she is like one of those hairless dogs. original.gif
I think it would have been acceptable at puberty to discuss hair removal with our DD's if it is bothering them and let them choose, I would never have made the decision for them.

#25 BadCat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

She feels like a good mum?  Really?

A good mum would never draw the attention of a 3yo to the the fact that their face is less than 100% Hollywood acceptable.

If it becomes an issue for an older child then fine, but at 3 they should not have any inclination that their perfectly normal face is not acceptable to others.

Edited by BadCat, 09 January 2013 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.