Toilet training -poos

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sqawk

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

My DD is almost 3.5yo. We have been TT over the last 2 mths. It has been a slow process but with gradual improvement. She is due to start preschool in Feb and "needs" to be TT for that.  I was never convinced that she ever showed signs of wanting to TT herself but since we had this deadline and she is 3 we have been trying.

She is doing well with wees and has few wee accidents although I need to remind her to go to the toilet (usually every few hrs- can hold for that long).

She has never really ever done a poo in the toilet. At the moment I often catch her just as she starts to do one in her pants, I take her over to the toilet and she is happy to sit there a while but doesn't actually do anymore poo.  This repeats a few times a day.  If I don't catch her early in the process she'll do the whole poo in her pants and then usually come and tell me about it after she has finished.  I'm not convinced that she realises that she is doing a poo at the time.  Often she seems quite oblivious to it.  She understands rewards for wees in the toilet but I can't bribe her to do a poo in the toilet.

She's not constipated. Usually poos 1-2/day.

Any ideas??

#2 ~Mintie~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Bumping because my son is doing the exact same thing. He's almost perfect with weeing, day and night but has not done a poo in the toilet!

#3 sqawk

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I was so
excited to get a reply!! Maybe someone else has some ideas!

#4 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Don't ask me (says the person whose DD rolled a small amount of poor into a ball and handed it to her in full skype view of her parents tonight...)

We're just letting her run around nappy free and 9/10 times she takes herself to the potty - but not sure specifically about encouraging poops.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

One thing that I would try is sitting her on the potty, or getting a step or something that is high enough for her to put her feet on while she's on the toilet.  DS2 couldn't poo unless his feet were touching the ground.

I will say though that with my one child who got wee before he got poos, once we caught one in the potty/toilet he never ever did one in his pants again though!  The other two children got poos first.

#6 ~Mintie~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Aww I'm sorry I got your hopes up OP Tounge1.gif

once we caught one in the potty/toilet he never ever did one in his pants again though!

I'm so sure my son will be the same because he's be surprisingly easy to train, which is why this is so damn frustrating!

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I am no help. DS2 went 6m post TT to do poo on toilet. That first happened at 3.75yrs. Thankfully in that time we only had one poo incident at kinder. They very nicely dealt with it.

I do like PP suggestion of feet on step. dD likes to have her feet flat. She is also just three but has moments where she refuses to poo on toilet.

Edited by lsolaBella, 10 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#8 overthehill

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my first son took 7 months to poo on the toilet! And my second son is now about 2 months from being trained and is also refusing to do it, he comes and asks for a nappy when he needs to go.  
So I can't offer much advise except leave it a bit longer maybe rather than force the issue. Also can you use pull ups so it is less messy.
Good luck!

#9 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Nothing helpful to add, except that we are struggling with the same thing.  Oh well, at least I know I am not alone!

#10 noi'mnot

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Another one with a poo refuser here.  rolleyes.gif

#11 boopyscreet

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I let DD1 pick out some Jessie - Toy Story undies and a sparkly singlet and then hung them up on a hook in the bath room. She was fascinated by them and we had lots of conversations about how when she did pooh's in the toilet she would get her special Jessie undies. It took a couple of weeks to get there, but once she had done one pooh in the toilet and there was much rejoicing and fanfare, she has been going in the toilet.

I think she may have had one accident about a week after getting her 'prize' but that was it.

HTH

#12 bettymm

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

My DD trained fairly early and quickly for wees, was wearing undies every day by 2.5 but poos were another story.   she never pooed in her pants, but would seek me out and demand for a nappy to be put on .then she would assume the position, leaning against a wall and do her business!  This went on for aaaaaages!  For her, it was just getting used to the sensation of sitting down to poo, and also the security of a nappy.  Eventually i talked her into sitting on the potty or the toilet to do a poo, but still wearing a nappy.  Next step was we laid the nappy down on the potty so it would catch the poo, but she wasnt actually wearing it.  Then after much encouragement, bribery etc.  she did it in the potty with no nappy, and then in the toilet not long after that.

I dont know if that nappy business will help you, as it doesnt sound like she is needing a nappy on, but  i think you are doing the right thing just getting her to sit on the toilet as soon as you see it happening , so she gets used to it.  Lots of praise and gentle encouragement and talk of pre school, how she will be a big girl then and thats where you do poos at preschool?
Good luck.  It will all happen soon enough

#13 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'm dealing with poo-y pants here too :-(

Have had a few successes but not many.  She tells me straight after.......  This has been going on for weeks now.  My MG friends tell me they have the same issue.

#14 shopalot33

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I found with both my girls that it took longer for them to get the hang of poos in the toilet.  Both were 2 years 2 months when I started TT, as they were both asking to go.  It was probably about 6-8 weeks after they got the hang of weeing in the toilet that the poo issue sorted itself out.

It did seem that they were nervous about doing poos in the loo and would hide away from me to do poos in their undies a fair few times, then come and tell me they had done a poo in their undies.  Both girls did the same thing, so I'm assuming that generally that's just how it goes.

The winning solution for us was a reward for poos in the loo.  This worked especially well with DD2.  Just to get her thinking about doing a poo on the loo, I told her that if she did a poo in the toilet, I would give her some Smarties (little boxes you get in the multi-packs).  A few days later, and after a couple of accidents when I would remind her of the Smarties reward, and she begged me to go to the toilet "Quick mummy!".  Sure enough, it was poo time.

Eventually it was just one or two Smarties after a poo on the loo. She's 3 now and hasn't had Smarties in at least four months.  She just seemed to forget to ask for them after a while.  biggrin.gif

If you don't like the idea of a food reward, a friend used a sticker chart and another used special presents from the toilet fairies (mostly bits and bobs from The Reject Shop apparently).

Sorry for the long post!

#15 Feral-chillibean

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

We had the same problem with DD1.

Started TT at around 2yr 3 months.  Wees she got almost immediately.

Poos were another 3 or 4 painful months of poo on pants.  I longed for one of those children that hangs onto their poo until they get the night nappy on and hated being greeted by poo pants in a bag from daycare!  In the end I bought some pants on Marks and Spencers online as they were better quality and cheaper that any Australian pants, and just threw them out if we had poo accidents.

I also found this story  http://www.scribd.com/doc/28743654/Poo-Goes-to-Pooland-1-1

Not sure if that helped turn the corner, but bribery did not work!

#16 Maple Leaf

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Having the same issue here.
DD2 absolutely refuses to poo without a nappy on. I am so scared to be tough with her about it as I just know she would become constipated if I don't let her have a nappy.

My first DD was the same but I invented the "Poo Fairy" who would visit in the night and leave her a sticker if she would poo in the toilet (it was a very long involved complicated story and I had printed out a picture of a beautiful fairy standing next to a toilet so she had that to gape at as well)..but the Poo Fairy just doesn't do it for DD2 so am just at a loss. She's 3.5 now and has been trained for wees for such a long time but this is just a no go. sad.gif
ARGH.

#17 Escapin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

DD has just started poo-ing on the potty. I think she wasn't quite sure how to poo sitting down, so I got her to put her hands on her feet, so leaning forward, and then push. She got that and then could sit up to poo. Maybe that would help?

#18 homemade

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I was worried about this for so long too, but it seriously happened overnight one night about 2 months after he conquered wees. I think the problem was not understanding how to push one out - because in a nappy they just fall out when its time. I just watched him and when it looked like he was doing one I would run him to the toilet, and otherwise, I just let it happen in his undies, and he eventually just got jack of it. I just put no added pressure, but rewarded heavily when he got it right!

#19 babychacha

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

My DS was 4.5 before he would do one on the toilet.... I think I'm still traumatised by it.....

He always hated the potty.  Not so keen on the insert rings either. Eventually I figured it out as the portable toilet rings could move a bit so bought lupilu toilet seat, has an adult flap and a child one which was the perfect size for his bottom.

Screwed it on, got him his books and a little stool for his feet and have never looked back.

Now to get him to wipe his own bum. He starts big school in a few weeks and is convinced a teacher will help him.  unsure.gif

#20 SusieBlue

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

DS liked to hide to do his poos (one of my 1st signs he was ready for TT). I was worried how I was going to get him to poo in the potty given he didn't like me anywhere near him while he was doing it!

While we were TT DS basically didn't wear pants for a week (around the house - we pretty much didn't leave the house while he was TT!) We started making some progress on wees first - he held onto the poos for a couple of days which worried me, but eventually he would run off to hide to do a poo. I put the potty in the room where he was hiding, told him he could have a toy car if he did the poo in the potty, put the car where he could see it (but not touch it!) then leave again. It worked very quickly!!!!! He really wanted those 50c plastic cars!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.