Dad and partner pay
centerlink form question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sassy Dingo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Has anyone's partner applied for the dad and partner pay yet? I've got the form here and it seems...odd. DH is applying now as apparently they need 10 weeks of processing time or something ridiculous. Question is, you have to be on unpaid leave to receive the payment and you have to nominate a start date for the payment. How is this possible without a planned C section? He can tick the box for expected date of birth, but then there was the disclaimer that you have to be on unpaid leave to get it. DH was going to work right up to the time I give him a call to tell him to come home (he rides his bike to work which is 2km away). Do centerlink expect you to be freaking psychic?

#2 Halcyon~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Maybe your being too literal in your reading

#3 FiveAus

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

If he's planning to take unpaid leave from the date of birth, just tick that. If his leave is going to start at a later ate, nominate another date.

You won't get the payment on the date of birth as you'll need to provide proof of birth, but it will cover those first two weeks after the baby is born. If he nominates a different date for it o dart, it will cover the two weeks from the date he nominates.

#4 elizabethany

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

It will also take them a while to process it AFTER the birth, so don't expect to rely on it directly afterwards.  If you want it to start from the birth, you will get it as "back pay" about a month later.

I had the same issue with the PPL, it was very new (DS born Feb), and the Centrelink lady got grumpy because he was not born on his due date (he was born the day before).  It meant she had to redo the entire form, so hopefully they have streamlined it a bit since then.

#5 Sassy Dingo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I don't think the scheme is very well thought out.

It is aimed generally at lower income earners who otherwise wouldn't be able to take any time off, so to expect them to take unpaid leave and then get paid a month or so later is a bit rough. Some people will be really effected by no pay for a fortnight. Since they still pay you if you have a stillborn child they should just pay it on the EDD.

DH is just taking it as unpaid in order to save his Annual leave for an overseas holiday later in the year.

#6 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 09/01/2013, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think the scheme is very well thought out.

It is aimed generally at lower income earners who otherwise wouldn't be able to take any time off, so to expect them to take unpaid leave and then get paid a month or so later is a bit rough. Some people will be really effected by no pay for a fortnight. Since they still pay you if you have a stillborn child they should just pay it on the EDD.

Agree with this.

Tbh I don't expect many men earning average to high incomes will take this payment because the difference in pay is too great to take unpaid leave at the same time. Which is fine, I don't mind a payment that is mostly geared towards helping lower income families. However as you point out, lower income families are the least able to afford the 2-4wk wait in receiving the payment. Doesnt really make sense.

And thanks OP, for pointing out how far in advance we need to apply. I would have expected it to be later than that and probably wouldnt have had ours done by then!

#7 gigihumanservices

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Sassy Dingo @ 09/01/2013, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone's partner applied for the dad and partner pay yet? I've got the form here and it seems...odd. DH is applying now as apparently they need 10 weeks of processing time or something ridiculous. Question is, you have to be on unpaid leave to receive the payment and you have to nominate a start date for the payment. How is this possible without a planned C section? He can tick the box for expected date of birth, but then there was the disclaimer that you have to be on unpaid leave to get it. DH was going to work right up to the time I give him a call to tell him to come home (he rides his bike to work which is 2km away). Do centerlink expect you to be freaking psychic?

Hi there, I work with the Australian  Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to  questions about Centrelink payments and services on social media sites  like this

If eligible, your partner can get Dad and  Partner Pay any time in the first year after your child’s birth or  adoption. He needs to be on unpaid leave or not working during the Dad  and Partner Pay period (up to two weeks). He can choose when his Dad and Partner Pay  period will start. It can start from the day your child is born or  adopted, or it can start later. If he’d like to receive the full two  weeks pay, his start date needs to be within 50 weeks  of your child’s birth or adoption.

The Department of Human Services will pay  him after your child is born and his claim is finalised. To finalise  your claim you need to provide us with the proof of birth form that you  will be given either at the hospital or by your  midwife after your baby is born. If his claim is finalised before his  Dad and Partner Pay period starts, we’ll pay him on the first day of the  period and he should be able to access the money in two business days.  If his claim isn’t finalised by this time,  we expect to pay him within 28 days of when it is. We pay the money  into his bank account in one instalment. Read more about finalising your claim.

All the best :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.