Spelling- Writing issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 struppy04

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hi,
My DS has just completed Year 2 ( in NSW). I am a bit worried about his writing and spelling skills. I had a chat with his teacher in the past and she pointed out that he was not using descriptive language and that his spelling was often poor. He however did very well at the weekly spelling test and got most of his 30 words right. But he obviously cannot retain this knowledge when it comes to writing weekend news etc.

His reports describes his writing as basic ( not surprisingly!). His reading is sound.

The teacher never approached me about tutoring etc although quite a few kids needed additional help in his year. I am still worried that he might continue his habits and might get difficulties down the track.

My son is quite easy-going, sporty and unfortunately not so much into reading.

Again I do not expect him to be top of his class but I want him to be able to express him appropriately.

Has anyone done tutoring to improve writing/spelling? Has it helped your kid?
Many thanks

#2 JKTMum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Does he have trouble with his actual handwriting (ie messy, problems forming letters correctly, issues with fine motor skills)? If so I'd look at getting an OT assessment to see if anything needs addressing.

If handwriting is not an issue and it's more content, maybe allowing him to use the computer to do a short story every day (sometimes more appealing than having to pick up a pencil, or use a portable whiteboard something where mistakes can be easily erased and corrected). Start off slowly, just ask for a couple of sentences about what you did each day or what he would like to do tomorrow (ask him to use his imagination and come up with some fantasy stuff that he knows you couldnt do, but just for fun) and then get him to read them back to you. Maybe get a children's thesauras and come up with other words he could use instead of the simple words he has. Make a game out of it and see how many different words he can come up with.

Does he have a particular TV show / Movie or PC game he is interested in, maybe he could come up with a plot for a future episode? Or a story about the sports he likes to play. DS was a reluctant writer (both handwriting issues and content). He loved Pokemon so his teacher got him writing stories about Pokemon. You have to be careful though that the topic doesnt totally take over, DS had to be encouraged after awhile to branch out as every single story was about Pokemon for quite awhile.  rolleyes.gif

I was clearing out some old workbooks yesterday and one of DS's teachers in primary school had them doing a simple sentence (I went to karate), then write the same sentence but add in one describing word, then write the same sentence but add in a conjunction etc so they could see the sentence grow from a very basic, simple sentence to a very complex one which conveyed a whole story to the reader. It wasnt so overwhelming then for them, they could see how just adding in one thing each time could really improve the meaning of the sentence.

#3 unicycle

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

High horse: spelling tests teach us to spell correctly for spelling tests. Life is full of spelling tests. ( not)
Off high horse: a couple of questions. Are the words on his spelling tests generated from words he has used in writing incorrectly, or do they come from a generic list of words which the teacher would like him to know how to spell? I'll help more specifically once we know this.
Next, when she states he doesn't use descriptive words, does she mean he isn't filling his passages ( just had a lovely visual there) with adjectives? If so, relax. That flowery style is beloved by many, but not all and isn't the be - all -And - end- all.
Or does he need help fleshing out ideas for stories? Maybe time for planning an outline is required, with a teacher conference to help generate ideas.
At home, I would focus on getting the story out on paper, editing it with him for ideas: where could we make the story more interesting etc. and looking at punctuation for clarity of meaning, doing it with him and discussing where you are confused.
Finally, at the end stage, I would then be looking at spelling and focussing on a few areas. Try to avoid doing this during the process unless he asks, or if his spelling is impossible to decipher. You could then  at the late editing stage, focus on
Common words he frequently misspells and less  common words that crop up frequently in the story. Then let him go through and change those.
At his age, I would try to encourage a love of story- telling through writing, rather than on excellent spelling. I would also be reluctant to focus on spelling tests at this stage if he is unable to later use the words correctly in context. This is time that could be better spent on the above suggestions.
Hope this helps

#4 José

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Does he use descriptive language when talking? Maybe work on expanding his vocab through reading and conversation. Can also build vocab through his writing e.g. it was wet. Take the word Wet and discuss alternatives at different ends of the scale from damp to saturated. Can do the same for many words e.g. happy could be ecstatic. Perhaps he could pretend to be a sports commentator to develop language. Instead of saying it's a good goal what other words could be used.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.