Baking essentials

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FeralMalinki

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

What would be on your list of essential things to have in your kitchen for baking?  I don't really bake, but want to get into it, and plan on getting a few new bits and pieces for the kitchen this year.

#2 Chelara

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Mixing bowls, spatula, measuring spoons cup and jug, scales, pastry brush, rolling pin, tins, cookie sheets, mixer (hand held is fine), a strainer to use as a sifter or a sifter.

#3 ubermum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Oven
Kitchenaid (optional)
Thermomix (optional)
Baking trays/tins
Silicone baking mat (makes rolling out less messy)
Rolling pin
Assorted cutters
Pastry brush
Piping equipment
Measuring equipment
Whisk
Beater
Spoons
spatulas of all sizes
palette knives in differing sizes
Baking paper
Cooking Spray
Assorted flours
Assorted sugars
Baking powder, Bicarb soda
Yeast
Assorted size mixing bowls
Vinegar
Cream of tarter
Spices- nutmeg cinnamon, vanilla pods, vanilla extract/paste

Edited by ubermum, 10 January 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#4 *LucyE*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Buy it as your recipes require. Think of the things you'd most likely bake and go from there.

I have built up quite a cache over the years but most of the things an average baker would not require.

Muffins require only a mixing bowl, muffin tin (or just foil/silicon cases on a tray), and a spatula.

I use a simple chocolate cake recipe that is a all in one pan mix so doesn't even need a mixing bowl. I like to use a balloon whisk for that but a wooden spoon works well too.

Once you work out what you need, I can give recommendations of the best brands to buy. Eg. I have tried a few silicon spatulas but I think the Tupperware one is the best. I use Pyrex bowls because they are non reactive. I love my Kitchen Aide but it is t a necessity.

#5 kandj

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Essentials for me would be:

A mixer of some variety, hand held or standard.

A spatula

mixing bowl ( any bowl thats big enough to mix in)

unsalted butter

flour

bicarb and baking powder

caster or brown sugar

oh and eggs.

and a decent cookie tray or cake tin.

and airing rack.

But as PP said, start with a recipe you want to try and just build up from there with what you will need...

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Baking paper is a must. I use it for everything. Line tine and trays to save on washing and to make them non stick, roll pastry/dough out between to sheets of it instead of covering you bench with flour.

Beside that buy things as you need them. Not everyone will use cookies cutters,palette knives or six different types of spatulas.

#7 noi'mnot

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Some basics for beginning baking (you'll probably already have some of these things):

2-3 mixing bowls, varying sizes.
A whisk
Wooden spoons
Spatula
Sieve or really fine colander thing for sifting (not that I ever bother that much...)
Baking trays
Cooling rack
Baking paper
Also muffin trays, cake pans, cookie cutters, etc depending on what you want to bake.

Basic ingredients would include:
SR, plain and wholemeal flour
Brown (I normally just have the very darkest brown I can find, don't go for types), white, caster, icing sugar
Vanilla extract or paste
Eggs
Bicarb soda
Butter

Also, get some good reliable cook books. I always find the good old Women's Weekly ones great for baking, they're very reliable and usually not too complicated.

Enjoy! original.gif

#8 twinboys

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

What do you want to bake?

biscuits
cakes
pies/tarts
muffins

These all require different tins and trays this is one of the big upfront cost.

I love using spring form cake tins. You can use them for all cakes, flans, tarts and pies- baked and non baked. You can buy many different sizes and you don't have to worry about cakes sticking to the sides of the tin like traditional tins

A handheld mixer is all I use and they are around $40

I also use a food processor for pastry - I make a lot of my own pastry for sweet pies or tarts. Also works a treat when having to rub butter into the flour which you need to do for scones.

Build up your dry ingredients with proper storage containers - stops weevils etc
You will need things like
SR flour
Flour
Sugar
Caster sugar
Icing sugar
Bi carb soda
Baking powder
Vanilla extract
Cocoa
Spices - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice

Other ingredients are sulatanas, dried fruit, nuts and chocolate

Then basics like measure spoons/cups/jugs
A couple of different bowls - good to get a glass or microwave safe one so you can melt chocolate or butter in it
A spoon
A spatula
Oven mitts

#9 unicorn

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

You can make do with the bare basics until you get more of an idea on what you want.
Measuring spoons and cups and I like my pyrex measuring jugs.
Flat edged butter knife or spatula
mixing bowls and a couple of sturdy spoons, you can make do with breaky bowls for melting butter and stuff in the microwave, I prefer to use a glass bowl over a saucepan on the stove for chocolate.
a mixer of some sort would be good, but you can make do with an egg beater until you work out whether you want to buy a hand held (which I think are a PITA) or a stand mixer. It's a good workout for the arms too wink.gif
I use a metal strainer to sift flours.
whatever size cake tins, biscuit trays. and a decent cooling/airer tray, get one with the wires forming a square shape instead of the wires all running horiztonally.

#10 Funnington

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

My most used utensils and equipment would be:

- Kenwood Kitchenaid
- Muffin Pan (s) - large and mini sized
- Cake pans - square, loaf, round and ring tin (ring tin is a definite for learner's, overcomes sinking cakes!)
- Baking trays
- Whisk
- Wooden spoons
- Tupperware egg separator
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Pastry brushes (get the proper ones, I have the silicone ones and they are useless)
- Spatula
- Tupperware sifter - the best!
- Metal skewers
- Stainless steel mixing bowls (K-Mart have a really cheap three piece set, they're great)
- Measuring jug
- Kitchen scales (I only have cheap ones, they certainly don't have to be the Rolls Royce scales)
- Rolling pin

I forgot ingredients - everyone has pretty much covered the basics.  My number rule though is good quality vanilla extract (not essence).

Edited by Funnington, 10 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#11 Lucygoosey1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I had a hand held mixer for years and finally got a mixmaster,  mine is Breville.  It's made baking so much more enjoyable for me and easier to still bake with the kids around.

#12 indigo~

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Just a word on measuring spoons. Most of the one's on the market are U.S sized where a tablespoon is 15ml whereas in Australia (and Australian recipes like those in the Women's Weekly cookbooks), a tablespoon is 20ml. Depends on the recipe, but sometimes that difference matters.

Edited by indigo~, 11 January 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#13 FeralMalinki

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually do have a few of these things buried in the depths of my cupboard, but definitely reminded me of a few more I needed.

I mostly want to bake lunch box snacks now my DD is getting to that age original.gif

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

For lunch box snacks, I'd suggest slices (so a lamington/slice tin), mini muffin tins for the obvious plus mini quiches/frittatas and mini cupcakes, as well as a loaf tin (I prefer lunch box cakes in a loaf tin because a slice sits more neatly in a container than a wedge.

For slices - weetbix slice, lemon/lime slice, a jam filled one with a coconut meringue topping, home made LCM bars,  and muesli type bars.

For mini muffins - any of your usual favourites, mine are raspberry and white chocolate, banana and choc chips, apple and cinnamon. I also do mini friands in these tins but not for school.  For the quiches, I just place a small round of butter puff pastry in the hole and fill my preferred ingredients (pumpkin and fetta, cherry tomato and basil, bacon etc), top with an egg and cream mix and bake.  For a frittata I just skip the puff pastry.

Cakes - chocolate is a regular, lemon, vanilla etc. I use a variety of icings to keep them interesting.

And cookies trays!  Cookies are so easy to make and the dough freezes well for that freshly baked joy.

All of these things freeze well in individual portions.

#15 countrychic29

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

OT - but OP this is making me want to go home now and bake all night.
I already have a list

Blueberrry & Apple Muffins
Raspberry & Bran Muffins

Cranberry, Pistachio, White choc cookies (can freeze dough pre cut so when vistors come over i can offer them fresh cookies)

And maybe because im pg
some choc macadamia cookies!

My most useful is measuring spoons / cups and a spatula - why i didnt get one years ago i dont know. a hand mixer is fine ... but i do love my kitchenaid. original.gif

#16 zanzi

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

One other thing to note is cup measures are different depending on where they are made.  A standard Australian cup is 250ml.  A British cup is 236ml.  Depends of course where your recipe comes from.  Sometimes this doesn't matter, but sometimes it really does.  Have fun baking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.