How much electricity is typical?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 kabailz13

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Just looking over our last power bill and was wondering how many units (kilowatt hours) do people average per day?

Our last bill saw us using 47.6 units per day which I think seems huge. It resulted in us having a $589 power bill for 57 days!

#2 Holidayromp

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Sorry cannot be much help but it seems the less kW we use the more we pay.  rant.gif

#3 jemsoli

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

we seem to average 32kw per day. i am guessing summer is going to be higher with our new ducted aircon though.

#4 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Ours was $1200 for the last quarter, at 58.11kWh daily wahhhhh!

#5 polka dotty

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

That does sound huge...our latest bill was just over 21kWh average, but that is the smallest we've had in ages. Our last quarter was 36, the highest it has ever been, but that was because we had a problem with our hot water system (now fixed).

Do you have things running 24hrs/day, like pool pump, HSTP, etc?

#6 ~Sasha~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

We average 6.18 a day.  It is higher during winter.

Our last bill was $224

#7 laridae

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

An average family uses 18 kWh (or units) a day.

Mine was about 13 kWh per day over winter/spring for heating/hotwater, and about 30 kWh for general power.  We don't pay for most of the power though as our solar power system covers most of it (its why I can't give an accurate answer on what we use though...).

Edited by laridae, 10 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Our bill has the following table (for other households in your area):
1 person - 9.8kWh
2 people - 12.4 kWh
4 people - 17.5 kWh
6 people - 22.6 kWh (that's per day)

Our average for 5 people the last billing period was 26.9 kWh. Higher than average, but nothing too drastic. Happy with that.

47 does seem huge.

#9 BadCat

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

We are a family of 4.  We use less than 16 per day.

#10 Mamabug

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

howdo - I thought those tables were for general useage, excluding hotwater?

OP, your useage also depends on what you have going on electricity - some of the posters may not have electric heating/cooking/pools/water pumps etc. It does need to be looked at in conjunction with all energy consumption.

We are a family of six and average 22kw/day, but 10kw of that is off-peak hot water. Needless to say, we will be removing the hotwater system when we can! We also have ducted gas heating, so that isn't impacting our electricity bill, but we have electric stove/cooktop.

In our previous house we had wood heater, gas-boosted solar hot water, and bottled gas cooking, our electricity consumption was less than 10kw/day for five people.

Also, it is hard to compare all of our power bills in a $ value as different areas have different rates per kw, and very different daily access charges. When we moved 12 months ago, our daily access charge nearly doubles. The huge increase in our bill would have happened whether we turned on a single light or appliance just in that charge!

(And don't get me started on water rates...our connection charge is always higher than our consumption charge glare.gif)

Edited by Mamabug, 10 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#11 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Just got my electricity bill.  Last quarter we averaged 37kW a day, and I think that is huge.  (Air con when it is above 25C, dryer run everyday etc)  Yours seems huge

eta  We have no gas, so electricity is for hot water, cooking, heating as well

Edited by KylieMin0gue, 10 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Mamabug @ 10/01/2013, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
howdo - I thought those tables were for general useage, excluding hotwater?

It came from the Australian Energy Regulator apparently.

My usage is excluding hot water.

#13 kabailz13

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Well, seems I'm right in thinking it's huge!!

We do use a dryer for all of our washing as we have no outside clothesline.

Definitely time to do something about it! We have stopped using the downlights which I hope will have a big impact.

We rent and the house is huge, there are heaps of lights around and our ASD son has a compulsion to turn them on/off often. Might need to keep an eye on that too.

We have solar hot water with an electric booster. Gas cooking so this is all general usage.

#14 TotesFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

We average just over 10kWh per day each bill. Mind you we have just moved into a house which has air con so I'm sure that will go up

#15 ~chiquita~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Last quarter 23.22 kw.
That's a spring/summer bill so very low.

#16 Stronger

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

We just got our bill today (in WA) and we averaged 15 units a day...bill was for 64 days. It is slightly less than last year for the same time.

We don't have electric hot water though - we have a solar hot water with gas boost for that.

#17 jobo77

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Our last bill (July-Oct) was huge for us - 34kwh and over $600. Our next reading is due next week and I just went outside and did my own calculation and we have halved our bill if my calculations are right  biggrin.gif  22.4kwh now yippee!
No gas here so everything runs through the electricity.

Edited by jobo77, 10 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#18 mitty82

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

our bill is normally no more than $330 in summer and no more than $250 in winter. we are in qld and only can go with ergon energy. no solar panels on our house and we have air con.

#19 Z-girls rock

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

we use 8 kw per day on average.

well this was before we put in our solar panels - I think it would be less now.

as a PP said we have solar hot water with a gas booster.

gas heating, gas cooktop, we have a gas clothes dryer too (but that is new too).

we dont have aircon - we have ceiling fans etc.

#20 Feral Lemur

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

About 7 to 8 kw per day in recent weeks after our solar panels kicked in and we srated changing our usage around them.  Our last bill was huge hence the move to solar.

We also have gas and instant hot water so it is minimal.

#21 coffy11

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Our is about the same as yours op but we have a pool, I'm hoping that's what's causing it!!

#22 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

On my Aug to Nov bill we averaged 13.4 and our bill was $277. This is in Brisbane. It is up from 11.8 kw for the same time the previous year, probably because I was at work then and not home watching TV.

#23 LittleBear

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

31.46 kw is our daily average.  Our latest bill for 99 days is $766.  We have solar hot water but everything else is electric.

#24 ~Mummy~Mel~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

OP that sounds like a lot! We use a fair bit and our last bill was 32kw a day.

#25 Oriental lily

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Ours cost 8 dollars a day on electricity.
Need to reduce it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.