Powerful and frightening photos, but SUCH bravery by this family

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I was so struck by how powerfully emotive these images are.  Well done Mr and Mrs Holmes and their grandkids for being so brave.

News.com article

The photos are larger in this article.  (Don't read some of the comments afterwards though, there really are some ignorant people out in the world)!

Edited by Peanut, 10 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#2 ~BumbleBeeeee~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

That brought tears to my eyes. They must have been so frightened. I'm so glad they are safe and sound!

#3 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Oh my gosh. Pictures really do say a thousand words don't they?!

#4 Mini_feral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Such amazing pictures. I watched the interview on ABC yesterday and it had me in tears. I hope the dog made it as well...

#5 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Looking at the photo it seems as if the dogs coat is wet so it was in the water at some point.  I honestly cannot imagine the famly allowing the dog to perish.

#6 HeartMyBoys

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Wow. Goes to show just how quickly a fire can spread. Im glad they are ok

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

The dog is ok.

#8 Cat People

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I saw the family on the news, and yes, the dog was there.

I have to say, I'm surprised they took photos.  Seems a strange thing to do to me personally.  It's honestly not a criticism, it just wouldn't have occurred to me.

#9 Mini_feral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 10/01/2013, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at the photo it seems as if the dogs coat is wet so it was in the water at some point.  I honestly cannot imagine the famly allowing the dog to perish.

I'm sure you are right. I'm such a bleeding heart for pets! Incredible photos.

#10 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 10/01/2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw the family on the news, and yes, the dog was there.

I have to say, I'm surprised they took photos.  Seems a strange thing to do to me personally.  It's honestly not a criticism, it just wouldn't have occurred to me.

As far as I understand it, the grandfather took the photos to send to his daughter to let her know they were okay.  Its also an important visual record of events and they were in the water for around 2 hours, so time enough to take them.

I'd have been snapping off photos too, but naturally not if I needed to be holding a child or pet.

Edited by Peanut, 10 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#11 JustMum08

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I have to say, I'm surprised they took photos. Seems a strange thing to do to me personally. It's honestly not a criticism, it just wouldn't have occurred to me

I think I read somewhere they took them for the children's mother so she knew everything was ok.

#12 CountryFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 10/01/2013, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was coming in in a dingy - he had to leave them to get the dingy, HE would have been fearing they weren't going to be there so he knew exactly what his daughter was going through.. holding up a phone and taking a snap to show her - here we are, we are alive!
I hope it would have occurred to me!

And just quietly he was probably thinking that it could be the very last time she got to see any of them...

I hope this thread doesn't turn into some of the "WTF was he doing wasting time taking a photo" rubbish I have read elsewhere this picture has been published.

This man is a bloody hero, that family has literally been through a hellish, near death experience... no one, not one of us is in any position to make an 'I wouldn't have done that' call.. we have no idea what we would have done.  
But I suspect for most of us - sobbing, praying and crying would have been the order of the day.

#13 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Wow!
Amazing pics, glad everyone is ok.
I cant imagian how scary that was for them all.

#14 HeroOfCanton

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

It is a frightening photo, and I'm so glad that everyone in it survived unharmed.

However, I'm not going to contribute to the devaluation of the word 'hero' by using it in this instance.

#15 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Erm, I must be in need of another coffee. What do you mean, HeroOfCanton?   huh.gif

#16 CountryFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

While I am generally in agreeance with the overuse and devaluing of the word hero using it to describe sportsmen et. al.- please HeroOfCanton explain to me why putting your life in peril, under the most extreme and terrifying situation possible, to save the lives of others - even if they are your own family -isn't worthy of the tag?

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Irony - ur doin it rite

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Edited by howdo, 10 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#19 SophieBear

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (HeroOfCanton @ 10/01/2013, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, I'm not going to contribute to the devaluation of the word 'hero' by using it in this instance.

QUOTE (Peanut @ 10/01/2013, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erm, I must be in need of another coffee. What do you mean, HeroOfCanton?   huh.gif

laughing2.gif

Wow that's an amazing picture. I cannot imagine how frightening that would have been!
Glad they're all safe, including the dog original.gif

#20 Mumma3

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Having been in the situation of having to care for and make decisions about the lives of others during a bushfire, I think those grandparents were courageous and heroic.
HeroofCanton, I would suggest that perhaps your username is devaluing the word far more than the selfless acts depicted. Unless, of course, you actually are a hero and have also committed brave deeds, in which case, please share them with us.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I read this story in the Dailymail. Made me cry. I'm so glad they are all safe.

I don't see how the grandfather isn't a hero. He led his wife and grandkids and dog to safety and then went searching for a dinghy so they could get out of there. He saved their lives. What is a hero if not that?

#22 smc81

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 10/01/2013, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read this story in the Dailymail. Made me cry. I'm so glad they are all safe.

I don't see how the grandfather isn't a hero. He led his wife and grandkids and dog to safety and then went searching for a dinghy so they could get out of there. He saved their lives. What is a hero if not that?

This exactly.

And Howdo - LOVE your work!

#23 KayDan0707

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Amazing story - made me cry.

Definition of hero
noun (plural heroes)
1a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities:

I think they should be admired for their courage.

Edited by KayDan0707, 10 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#24 Danzie

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 10/01/2013, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Irony - ur doin it rite

roll2.gif

#25 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I've only just watched this (in tears yet again!), so I thought I'd post it for anyone else who hasn't seen it.  Very powerful, so glad it was a happy outcome and not a sad one.

Interview with family at ABC

For what its worth, I definitely think Mr and Mrs Holmes are hero's and the kids for being so brave.  Imagine being in very cold water up to your chin and yet the air all around you is chokingly toxic?

Edited by Peanut, 10 January 2013 - 04:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.