Help - potential DOCS situation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 opethmum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Ok this happened this afternoon.

I was minding my own business and got on my bus route and some lady was jabbering quite loudly on her phone about trying to get her kids back from foster care and she was saying that her children were not happy at all. I was quite sad for her having to plead on the phone to whoever was on the phone to have her case looked at by the courts, she then proceeded to hang up. She then proceeded to make another phone call.

It went a little like this, she told the other person on the line that she wanted to kill with knives and do harm upon them on her next visit to the foster carers and those involved in taking her children away, she wanted their eyes to be bathed in the blood of the innocent, she wanted those responsible to make their souls clean and wanted to kill the police workers and damn their souls in everlasting hellfire. She wanted to cause everlasting harm to the judges and the courts and kill them in their sleep.
She was really freaking me out and I could not believe what I was hearing.

Should I take my concerns to the police or should I just stay out of it?

#2 protart roflcoptor

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Perhaps the mental health issues that made her say those things are well known to the team involved in her case and could even form part of the reasons she does not currently have care of her children?

#3 mitty82

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

It went a little like this, she told the other person on the line that she wanted to kill with knives and do harm upon them on her next visit to the foster carers and those involved in taking her children away, she wanted their eyes to be bathed in the blood of the innocent, she wanted those responsible to make their souls clean and wanted to kill the police workers and damn their souls in everlasting hellfire. She wanted to cause everlasting harm to the judges and the courts and kill them in their sleep.
She was really freaking me out and I could not believe what I was hearing.

that is probably why she hasnt got her children, do you even know her name??

This is a surefire way to go about threatening people with this sort of stuff that isnt going to help her case. I feel sorry for any of the workers who have to deal with this person and her children.

#4 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I don't know tbh - I mean, how easily identifiable would she have been? It sounds like a very very sad situation, but I don't know if you'd be able to give them much to go on really...

#5 pol

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I would. The worst that could happen is they'll laugh at you. The best is worth it.

If it made you uncomfortable listening, then there was a reason for it.

#6 opethmum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I don't have her name unfortunately and I am worried about the foster carers, who knows if she will carry through her threat.

#7 JuniPooks_

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

She sounds very unwell and I'm sure the people involved are aware of it. If it would put your mind at ease, make a report to crime stoppers.

#8 Zephie Chugger

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

As a foster parent Ive heard this many times, Bio parents vent in many ways. Could be a mental health issues or not Im sure the Dept have already heard her wishers and are dealing with it.

#9 MARsmum

As a previous DoCS worker I would say that these are pretty stock standard things that are said.  It is a sad situation, however, many parents can not take responsibility for their behaviour and therefore blame all the other people involved for their situation and then threaten to do harm.  I think there is little that you can do in this case seeing as though you don't have her name and I am sure that DoCS are probably aware of her situation.

#10 wanting_more

You know what, I would call DOCS in your area and tell them. Give them as MUCH detail as possible even a description of the lady. (If you know which bus st she got on, or off)
They MAY be able to work out who she is, if its a repeat of past behavior based on description, locations etc. and you know what, even if they can't you can rest easier at night knowing you did something.
I've made a report about someone I didn't know based on what a family member said ( as the family member wasn't going to do anything) I told them what I knew (which wasnt much) and they were very greatful. I thought they would think I was stupid reporting hearsay but I was very worried about what was said. I didn't even know the mother last name or address.
I say do it, it REALLY can't hurt, but it certainly CAN help.

#11 librablonde

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 10/01/2013, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have her name unfortunately and I am worried about the foster carers, who knows if she will carry through her threat.

OP, it sounds like she's very mentally unwell and if I were you I'd call the DOC's number in your State and give a description of her when reporting it. The woman may not have been a foster carer through DOC's (perhaps a private agency) but at least you've tried. I'd call the police too.

As a foster carer, I have been on the receiving end of bio-parents with serious mental health issues and threats of abduction or violence. I had to have sensor lights installed at my old house as a precaution and my kid's case manager would call me when the dad was having an "episode". I totally agree that the child protection system is broken in many ways and is a damaging process for all side: the carers, the bio-parents and the poor kids. At the same time, I also know that carers can feel like "sitting ducks" when they have kids in their care and the bio-parent is making threats.... the police and DOC's won't do much until after the fact.... sad.gif

#12 Tigerdog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Meh - stay out of it.  Go and google 'DoCS NSW name and shame', you'll get a taste there for the type of nutbag you'd be dealing with (kids obviously taken off her for good reason!).  

Anyway, to do harm to the foster carers she'd have to find out who they are first.

Edited by Tigerdog, 10 January 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#13 librablonde

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Tigerdog @ 10/01/2013, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, to do harm to the foster carers she'd have to find out who they are first.

In my case, DOC's told me that the bio-parents had the right to know where their children were placed so our location was not confidential. I was furious when I found out  that my address (not my name) had been given to the dad but when I escalated it to my case worker's manager, I was told in no uncertain terms that I had no right to confidentiality and that almost all bio-parents are advised of the address that their kids are placed at. I was fuming. And also scared when the dad started making terrible threats against the kids and me.

#14 opethmum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thanks ladies, I will call DOCS and report her. Thanks for giving me additional things I was not aware of! Take care for now

#15 olikat03

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Maybe she knew you were evesdropping and said all that stuff to scare the crap out of you. I think mind your own business would be a good thing. I'm sure if the kids are in foster care they are already been looked after and DOCS are involved.

#16 opethmum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Trust me I was not eavesdropping, I had my 6 mo son with me and I needed to keep him occupied,

#17 Propaganda

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

She may be someone who likes to say things like that when she's angry. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.