How long does it take you to fall asleep

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jayta

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Just wondering how long it takes you on average to fall asleep. Say you were feeling tired, went to bed and laid down. Then how long?

I'd say it usually takes me 30-60min. Sometimes I'm so tired, my eyes are closing in front of the tv but as soon as I go to bed my brain switches on and starts thinking about stuff and I can lay there for an hour or more

Also - does anyone have children who take a long time to go to sleep, from when they start laying peacefully?

#2 mandala

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

It usually only takes me a few minutes, but every now and then it will be over an hour. I'm worse falling back asleep in the middle of the night.

It often takes DS over an hour to fall asleep at night, looking at him on the monitor.

#3 CupcakeMumma

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Under 20 minutes, I listen to a relaxation tape.  My ds used to take ages to fall asleep we also got him a children's meditation tape, and now he's out in under 30 minutes

#4 MintyBiscuit

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Generally it takes me a while, probably 45-60 minutes from the time we go in to bed. I'm the same OP - can be falling asleep on the couch, then by the time I've gone in and brushed my teeth and climbed into bed, I'm awake.

DS is good these days and takes himself off to sleep pretty quickly, but his sleep drove me pretty much bonkers when he was younger. I often wondered if he'd inherited my sleep dramas (I've suffered numerous long bouts of insomnia and various other sleep issues)

#5 ali27

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

usually 5 - 10 minutes, although sometimes 60 -90 minutes

#6 Peridot

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

An hour at least.. Unless I'm incredibly tired, then a few minutes!

#7 me-and-mini-me

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

It takes me on average about an hour to fall asleep every night, sometimes 2hrs.   I don't go to sleep late at all (around 10.30pm), but if I happen to go to bed at 12 or 12.30pm, it still takes me that long. Doesn't matter how tired I am.  I can easily be sitting on the lounge and shut my eyes, and then I doze off, but as soon as I go to bed, it will again take me the 1 hour.  My problem is I think too much and can't switch off.  My DD is 11, and she goes to bed at 8.30pm, and she is still awake at 10.30pm, sometimes 11pm, and when I ask her why she's still awake, she always says, "I can't stop thinking". Many times I can hear her laughing her head off because she's thinking of a joke or something funny she saw on TV.   She tries playing relaxing CD's every night, but that doesn't make a difference at all.  She also wakes up at 6.30am every morning, no matter what time she goes to bed, and is tired during the day, but this still can't make her go to sleep straight away.  Very annoying for both of us.

#8 blackcat20

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Sometimes minutes, sometimes an hour. Depends on what's on my mind. My 3/4am wake ups are worse, it can take a couple of hours...

#9 ~*Rainbow*~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm the same as you, it takes me 30-60 minutes to fall asleep IF I read a book before trying to sleep. If I don't read it can take hours. Turning off the light, walking to the bedroom etc wake me up even when I'm almost asleep and I need to start the whole process again. I also frequently wake during the night, and can take anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours to fall asleep again.

DF however, falls asleep within 1-5 minutes of going to bed.

#10 Bluemakede

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Often it takes me between 30-60 minutes. On a bad night it'll take 2-3 hours (I have 1-2 bad nights a week).

I really hope my baby takes after its father with sleep, he takes about 2 minutes, and often will just fall asleep if he sits on the couch etc.

#11 cardcarryingferal

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not long at all. Almost always less than 10 minutes, and usually less than 5.

I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat though, I've always had issues with fatigue.

#12 i-candi

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

When my head hits the pillow! Frustrates DH original.gif

#13 RealityBites

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I am usually a champion. 3 minutes tops! But pregnancy insomnia has now hit ..

When I was a teenager, it used to take me hours.

#14 Always amazed!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Not long... I normally lay games on my phone for 10 mins then it normally takes 10 min max...

#15 netballgirls

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

not very long, although if there is something on my mind I can be awake all night.

#16 Dionysus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

AGES!

I hate it.

And I toss and turn all night

Would love a decent night's sleep.

DD has slept through since she was 1 or so.  I wish I could get the hang of it again  sad.gif

#17 A.K.A

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

If I'm having a good run it is less than 20mins, if it is any longer than that I just get up and try and do something constructive, beats getting more frustrated.

My boy can take anywhere from 5 mins to 3 hours to go to sleep  rolleyes.gif

Oh I find playing really mindless games like Bejeweled helps me sleep, clears my mind then BAM!

Edited by A.K.A, 10 January 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#18 Chelli

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

It depends on how tired I am. Some days it can take ages, and others I can fall sleep sitting in the recliner in the lounge room like an old person blush.gif  Just missing the crocheted rug, lol

I find if I concentrate on sleeping and time myself, it takes a lot longer.

#19 Missy Shelby

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not long at all, sometimes only minutes.

But I have a secret recipe for that, that may or may not involve thinking about a certain character from Sons of Anarchy (could be Jax Teller who knows) and that always sends me off into a dreamy state... biggrin.gif

Please don't think I am a weirdo, I know I am not alone in my fondness for him lol!!

#20 Batmansunderpants

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

From childhood it would take 3+ hours every night. I am now on seroquel to assist with this and it takes about an hour till I get sleepy.

#21 MAGS24

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Most of the time I am asleep within 10 minutes of going to bed. If I have trouble sleeping I just think of a boring story and that puts me to sleep. I have been doing the story method since I was a child so now I can usually go to sleep even if I'm not tired by laying down and thinking up a story. I am always asleep before DH.

DH often has trouble getting to sleep and occasionally has to stay up till 3am to become tired enough to go sleep, only to be woken at 6am to get ready for work.

DS1 used to be an awful sleeper when he was a baby but improved out of sight after he had his tonsils out at age four and now we don't hear anything from him from 8pm till 6am.

Edited by MAGS24, 10 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#22 No girls here

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'd say 30-60 minutes.  I don't know that I have ever fallen asleep before DH, he's probably more like 10-15 minutes.

DS1 is very much like me and lies there for ages.  He was a horrendous sleeper as a baby as it would sometimes take hours and hours to get him off.

DS2 is more like DH and DS3 is somewhere between the others.

#23 Beancat

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

About 2 minutes, but If I wake up around 3am it can take anwhere from 2 mintues to an hour.

My DD1 takes about 2 minutes also but my son can take up to an hour (he is 4).  He often talks/sings or reads.  I tell him he must stay in bed and not play

#24 Cyaira

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Depends...

Mostly under 10 minutes.
If my brain is stimulated or I'm bothered by something it can be hours.

I use progressive muscle relaxation to help if I'm having trouble, works really well.

#25 Goggie

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (blackcat20 @ 10/01/2013, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes minutes, sometimes an hour. Depends on what's on my mind. My 3/4am wake ups are worse, it can take a couple of hours...

Yep this is me too. Once I'm awake to go to the toilet or because of my DS, or just because my brain wakes up in the middle of the night I'm awake for hours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.