Harnesses/leads for swimming?
For puppies who are still working on their recall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Bickie has had her 3rd puppy vx so once the kids go back to school, I want to start her swimming (we live 500m from the beach). I don't trust her recall and won't for a very long time so want to have her on a harness/collar and lead to swim. I haven't come across any specific swimming ones and the one we have runs colour. Anyone know what the best options are?

#2 JRA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Can't you just use a normal lead and walk in with her. I must admit I would struggle to let a dog in the water with a long lead while you weren't right beside them in case they get tangled.

#3 unicorn

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

I bought a long line for my boy for when I take him to the beach, it is 15 metres, which gives him plenty of freedom but I still retain control. He is happy to just plod along beside me so most of the time it just drags along in the water lol.
The salt water should stop the dye from running.

#4 Mini_feral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I know what you mean about the colour running! My poor big dog had a stained pink neck for a month from his red leather collar!

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

What about these?

Dog Life jacket

And this webpage has a few similar products that might work.

Use it with a long line, and it should do the trick. Buttercup doesn't 'do' swimming. She wades up to her tummy and that is it. wink.gif

#6 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

JRA - her lead runs and dyes her coat pink (because the kids insisted on red accessories), so I want to buy a new lead for swimming anyway. I wasn't planning on getting one so long she'd get tangled and I would be more than a few meters away.

Unicorn - where did you get it from? I bought a 5m retractable leash but she chewed through it in less than 3 minutes the first time i put it on her. I don't want one 15m long, but at least i know that brand holds up to the water.

#7 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Spikey. I didn't even think about a life jacket, I was just thinking a nylon chest harness or similar.

Minimae - same here - red collar and pink neck. Because she's a gold lab, it was quite obvious.

#8 unicorn

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 10/01/2013, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JRA - her lead runs and dyes her coat pink (because the kids insisted on red accessories), so I want to buy a new lead for swimming anyway. I wasn't planning on getting one so long she'd get tangled and I would be more than a few meters away.

Unicorn - where did you get it from? I bought a 5m retractable leash but she chewed through it in less than 3 minutes the first time i put it on her. I don't want one 15m long, but at least i know that brand holds up to the water.

I can't remember, I was looking at the dogzonline site as well as ebay when I bought it, it is a cloth woven type one I do have to keep the clip oiled because the salt will cause it to seize.

But since then I have looked at our local saddlery and they have horse leads that would be suitable too and if your pup has a tendency to chew they might be a bit more durable.

#9 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

That's a good idea unicorn! Thanks!

#10 Futhermore

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

We just use a harness and long line.  I think if you soak it in vinegar it should set the dye.  We rinse the metal clip of the long line carefully after use in fresh water as sand gets stuck in it and the salt will rust it.

Tangling has never been a problem.  He does have a rust stain down his front from where his martingale has rusted and run into his coat though, so it might pay to take off and rinse his collar after swimming as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.