Microsoft Surface Tablet - anyone got one?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 toosenuf

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

what do you think of it?  

I need a tablet but cant decide between this one, a Samsung or ipad

#2 ~sydblue~

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

DH has an Ipad and yesterday bought a surface for family use. However when I got up this morning, he was so in love with his surface that I think he may give the Ipad to the kids.

#3 tomson

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I have a new Galaxy Note - impressed so far.

Have an original ipad, and it is fine, but I am not a huge Apple fan.

Our house votes the Galaxy as better so far.

#4 Molondy

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

we love our google nexus - its a 7" though... I am waiting for the second generation surface to get the bugs out and so there are more apps...

#5 justcait2

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

If you can wait until March when the release the PRO surface version which will have the full features of office then you will be super super happy with the surface.  It really depends on what you want to use the device for.  If it is mostly to play games then stick with the Ipad or Galaxy, but if you want to use the device more like a mini computer then surface is the way to go.

#6 toosenuf

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

What we really need is another laptop, but cannot afford to right now, need it for DD2's homework. Knowing how much DD1 had at the beginning of last year, i know now that DD2 will need her own before shcoool starts.

So, $500 is our absolute top limit, but under $400 would be more ideal.  As much as i know Pro Surface would be perfect i am guessing it it out of our range. sad.gif

I was talking to a HN person the other day he mentioned that the Samsung tab came with software that was a bit like word etc, that could be saved to be compatible with word, Tomson did your Galaxy come with software like what i have described?

I am also guessing that the ipad doesn't come with software that is similar to word etc?

#7 FiveAus

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (toosenuf @ 11/01/2013, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What we really need is another laptop, but cannot afford to right now, need it for DD2's homework. Knowing how much DD1 had at the beginning of last year, i know now that DD2 will need her own before shcoool starts.

So, $500 is our absolute top limit, but under $400 would be more ideal.  As much as i know Pro Surface would be perfect i am guessing it it out of our range. sad.gif

I was talking to a HN person the other day he mentioned that the Samsung tab came with software that was a bit like word etc, that could be saved to be compatible with word, Tomson did your Galaxy come with software like what i have described?

I am also guessing that the ipad doesn't come with software that is similar to word etc?

You can get the Pages app for iPad which is very much like Word and comes with heaps of templates.

#8 Apageintime

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Love my samsung galaxy tablet.

I think I paid $400 for it.

#9 toosenuf

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 11/01/2013, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get the Pages app for iPad which is very much like Word and comes with heaps of templates.

thanks that is great to know, it looks easy to use original.gif

do you know if there is an app that is similar to microsoft powerpoint?  DD1 used this heaps for school project last year

#10 FiveAus

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (toosenuf @ 11/01/2013, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks that is great to know, it looks easy to use original.gif

do you know if there is an app that is similar to microsoft powerpoint?  DD1 used this heaps for school project last year

Yes, it's called Keynote. It's $10.49, apparently very very good and files can be exported in PowerPoint format.

#11 tomson

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yes, the Galaxy Note comes with a thing called Polaris Office. To be honest, I have only looked at it for you, so I don't know too much about it. I only got the tablet yesterday, so have  not have time to really go through everything. I can tell you it has a spreadsheet looking page, a typing/word looking page, and a "slide" page, that probably looks like PowerPoint.

I was initially after the Surface Pro, but thought the second generation would be better after any bugs were ironed out., so  left that one. I looked at the iPad mini, the Galaxy Tab, and then the Galaxy Note. Both the Galaxy ones were the 10 inch ones - the smaller ones were a bit not quite right as far as screen size went, even though I was happy with the iPad mini screen. The Note was better in relation to processor and camera I think ( I had decided against the iPad because  of apple  vs Microsoft at work).

#12 emmafg

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I recently acquired the Dell XPS12 convertible laptop/tablet running Windows 8 and am besotted.

All the power and productivity of a laptop, and handles well as a tablet.  Learning curve on Windows 8 but I am dedicated to cause and am seeing the rewards.

I was keen on the Surface but would absolutely wait till the Pro comes out.

#13 SummerStar

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

I don't really find tablet a good laptop replacement especially for homework. Just to look something up on the net it's ok but to actually type assignments etc its not as easy.
I know jbhifi have such a large range of laptops and sometimes they have a clearance table starting from $350 (for full computer not a netbook, but even a netbook would be better for homework than a tablet)
It's worth checking them out. Sure you won't get top of the range but it would be a better option until you get a better laptop when/if you want to.

#14 chickendrumstick

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

I have the Samsung OneNote, it is wonderful! I got it for my uni work, I read a few reviews that said because of the accuracy of the handwriting-to-text feature, a lot of people were able to replace their notebooks with this tablet and handwrite their notes. The Polaris software is a great PowerPoint/Word/Excel replacement and it comes free with the tablet and I also really like that I was able to get a tablet with a smaller memory and expand it with an SD card - something that iPads can't do.
It also has some interesting looking photo editing software that I'm yet to fully explore.

#15 Ruby Gloom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

We have a Surface and love it. It really is like a laptop without being a laptop. It comes with a detachable, very slim lined, keyboard and you are able to prop the tablet "monitor" up so that if looks and acts just like a laptop.

#16 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I would love Surface. I do have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it's good, not complaints at all but I would still love a Surface original.gif

#17 Ruby Gloom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

OP, here are a couple of independent (but positive) reviews:

Surface and Surface Pro

#18 Just-one-more

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

For a laptop replacement why not look at the Asus transformer... it has a keyboard dock which doubles the battery life and makes typing so much easier original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.