Vegeterian Guest at Dinner Party

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 captain crunch

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hello,

I am having a small dinner party this Saturday night, me dh, dh sister & 2 friends, she is a vegeterian.

So you think I should have a completely seperate meal for her? Or should i jsut do vegerterian through out the meal?

Any suggestions?

I havent asked her, I'd rather try to figure it out, I'm sure she gets asked all the time.

#2 gemgirl

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

As a vegetarian:

it's always lovely if you can cater something. What's your meal? Eg. if meat lasanga, do a small vegie one. If risotto, leave out the chicken etc. I realise some meals you can't do this. Let us know what you're making and we can come up with ideas.

If you're not a confident cook, or haven't got time/budget to get ingredients: some people will ask if I can bring things. This is never a worry to me. In fact, I always say "what can I bring? Perhaps a vegetarian dish?" and many hosts take me up on the offer. This can get dull, I never get to take desserts or appetisers to a party, as I'm always supplying the token vegetarian main, but at least I know I'll eat.

One friend once organised a dinner party and forgot, so all I got to eat was peas for dinner (all the roast vegies were cooked under the roast and back then my strictness overrode my hunger... as a pregnant woman, I'd probably tuck in now days!). I learnt since then and always subtly remind the host and offer to bring something.

Edited by gemgirl, 11 January 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#3 Giggleosaurus

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

How about a couple of dishes to share....like large tapas!....stuffed zucchini flowers, aranchini(sp?), fritters, chick pea salad and a roast or steak, or other for just the meat eaters.

My mother and I are veg, and this is what I normally do for our family.

Have fun with it.

#4 Giggleosaurus

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

A roast veggie lasagne or pumpkin rissoto generally is loved by everyone wink.gif

#5 mavisandjack

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

It might be worth checking if she eats dairy, eggs etc. I sometimes describe myself as vegetarian but I am in fact a very strict vegan (and happily provide my own food as a result!)

#6 elmo_mum

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

just do vege dishes for all!!

entree -
vine leaves
dips
roasted capsicum
soup

main
vege lasagne
vege stir fry

beetroot n fetta n spinach salad! yumm
lentils/dahl

#7 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I would also check whether she was vegan or not.  I just make something else that is non veg.  IE if we are having a BBQ I will make veggie sticks and cook them on a pan inside along with some veg snags.  If it is lasgna I will make something veggo either caneloni or veg lasanga, or a veg quiche (depending on who it is for ie either my  vegan friend or my veggo friend) I used to be veggo and I don't think I ever went anywhere where the whole meal was catered to me, to me that isn't fair (unless I am doing the meal) as I know alot of people don't like lentils, chick peas etc.  I like to provide options to all my guests so there is at least something they can all eat.

#8 elizabethany

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I would have a buffet style serve, so they can take dishes they want, and avoid the meat.  Just double check that it is vege, not vegan...

#9 kandj

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

how about a curry theme? then you can do both meat and veggie curries or a dhal and a meat curry etc.

#10 knittingkitten

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

A tapas style meal....lots of lovely fresh grilled vegetables with a romesco sauce, potato tortilla, fresh tomatoes with goats curd, long capsicums grilled with boccocini and roast garlic inside...

And for the meat eaters- skewers of chicken rubbed with paprika. And lots of lovely bread and green salad.

Edited by knittingkitten, 11 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I would also clarify regarding vege vs vegan, and bear in mind that some vegetarians don't eat eggs or various other things that are sometimes on offer as vegetarian food (my brother was appalled that he was offered tuna quiche as a vege option in a restaurant.)  Also that even if she is vegetarian, you may need to pay attention to cheese ingredients and choose a vegetarian-friendly cheese (some use animal rennet).

Personally, I would do a vegetarian lasagne for everyone for the main course, but maybe do a meat-based entree for the meat-eaters.  Much easier than 2 whole meals.

#12 blackcat20

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

I have a veg friend; Ive often done a few curries-a meat one for everyone else, and a veg one for her (but everyone seems to like that one too). With rice and a few other things, there is plenty for everyone.

Ive also done cannelloni and salad with bread, pasta with pesto, frittata and salad etc.

#13 Holidayromp

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I must say that you are very nice and kind to think of your vegetarian guests.  When I was vegetarian it was a case of just eating the veges or salad or basically go hungry.
I remember one Christmas just having boiled mixed veges and boiled potato because there was nothing else on offer.
Also you haven't been told what type of vegetarian your guest is so I would probably play it safe and go vegan which covers all areas plus more.  original.gif

#14 lotsa

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

I would do a variety of dishes, and let people serve themselves, things like pasta and salads with meat and without, it is the sort of thing you can make before hand and should be fine in terms of is she or isn't she vegan. Same with most curries, rice and vegies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.