window coverings
new home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

We don't have any permanent window coverings in our home.  We do have some temporary paper blinds on the bedroom windows and the loungeroom.

DH wants planation shutters in the loungeroom which are seen from the street.  It is west facing and there will be nothing shading them from the outside.

The windows in the kitchen and play area (north) overlook the outdoor play spots, incuding the trampoline which I want to have a clear view of.  We have 600mm eaves so more of the sun is excluded, but not all.

2 bedrooms get afternoon sun, another gets morning sun.

I have no idea what I want, so I don't know where to start looking.
I am interested in the energy efficiency of window coverings - so keeping winter warmth in and summer sun out, but I also need to be able to open up the living room coverings to keep an eye on the kids when they are outside.

Kids are 4 and 6.  We don't have dogs.

Can you steer me in the right direction?

#2 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I'm a big fan of curtains above all else.

Hard to break, easy to clean.

#3 sohandy

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Have a look at double rollers for your north facing windows - blockout fabric & second shaded layer - so u can adjust for visibility and privacy/shading...curtains r good for bedrooms IMHO & u can get an amazing range of fabrics.

#4 ~TSC~

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

We have cellular blinds all through now. Single cell translucent in the living areas and double cell block out for the bedrooms. Love them. Nearly disappear when up and excellent insulation when down

#5 mama2carysbaileigh

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

We have curtains throughout the house and really happy with them, they make it look much more homely.  
Some of the windows have blinds and curtains.

#6 kpingitquiet

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Plantation shutters are incredible, wonderful things. They are used all over the southern US for cooling and privacy, not to mention aesthetics. Combined with double glazing, your house will be cool when you want, warm when you like, etc. I would give my left arm to cover our huge living room window wall with them! That said, they aren't cheap. And many people also put decorative drapes at the sides to "finish" the look. Others don't and it still looks great.

#7 Lifesgood

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

We have had a combination of roman blinds, curtains and venetian blinds for years but are planning on replacing with plantation shutters for all of our west-facing windows and bedrooms once our reno is complete. Some of the big sliding glass doors will have holland blinds, some will have no covering at all (they don't/won't get direct sunlight).

#8 julzely

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I have wooden venetian blinds as well as outdoor roller shutters, but still want curtains.  Then main reason for this is actually to assist with sound absorption inside the house.  Our entire house is pretty much tiles, and there are very few soft furnishings.  This means that noises just bounce of the walls and floors. Any addition of soft furnishings would assist with absorbing sound and removing the almost echo affect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.