Hearing problems in a 4 yo?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jjbeanz

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Has anyone had a lo with hearing problems around age 4-5? What were the symptoms? My lo talks extremely loud and has to have the tv really loud and it was suggested by a friend she may have a hearing problem. I'm taking her to the doctors for a check up soon.Thank you

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

If you suspect hearing problem, book an appt with audiologist. I only picked up on my DS2s hearing loss at 2.5yrs when he started talking more and sounded like he was talking underwater. Even with grommets in it took until he was over 4yrs for him to get a normal hearing test.

So they can communicate and seem to be going fine and have lots of coping mechanisms which can cover up the hearing loss.

Worthwhile getting it tested.

I also get my kids eyes tested as they start school. dS2 had his test today. They have noticed a slight problem and suggest retest in 1 yr rather then2.

Eta: this is a child who only had one ear infection.

Edited by lsolaBella, 11 January 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#3 CFMummy

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like m DD1 and her hearing is fine but a check wont hurt

#4 caitiri

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

We had DS tested at 3.5.  The testing was relatively easy done by an audiologist.  DS had to build a tower of pegs when he heard a noise, plus some other activities.

DS's hearing was perfect but we got him tested because he talks very loudly, but he also complains about loud noises /places.  He also mishears words that are similar and you often need to repeat instructions many many times.  

It is always worth testing if there is any question

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.