Is it thrush / vaginal yeast infection?
Help!!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Poseidon768

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hi everybody, specifically, ladies original.gif

I'm in my early 20s and have never had any issues with my lady parts, so I feel naive (therefore worried!) about the things that my present symptoms indicate.

To shopping list what has happened:
- Thurs night my Vajayjay was 'irritated' - not quite itchy
- Fri I noticed these dry little white flecks inside of my vagina
I used Cannesten Once and that provided temporary relief but OMG LAST NIGHT WAS I ITCHY! it disappeared though by morning and when I wiped a whole bunch of the powdery white stuff was on the paper.

It is completely odourless, there is no pain. Just nasty to look at and a nuisance really..

Do you think I was right in thinking it was thrush?  DH is convinced it is but...well.... how would he -really- know iykwim.
Could it be something else that springs to mind?

One last question - if it is thrush, why does it look like this morning is no different to last night (I put the caneten once in last night at around 9pm).  How long does it take to go away?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! for taking the time to respond to me.
I plan to see the doc on Monday if it hasn't gone away by then, but I still want some opinions in the meantime.

#2 livvie7586

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

not sure OP, but it won't go away if it is thrush if you don't treat your DH.  he'll just keep 'reinfecting' you

#3 SarahVandooo

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Sounds like thrush to me, I'd use the longer treatment rather than the once of, use the 3 day cream instead, and like said above, your partner can get it aswell so he will have to be treated, otherwise your just gonna be getting re-infected over and over again.

#4 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Get checked over by your GP or speak to your pharmacist.
If it is thrush there is OTC medication that will clear it up in no time.
As pp said, your partner will have to be treated as well to avoid passing it backwards and forwards.

Good luck.

#5 elizabethany

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Thrush generally has a distinct smell, and looks like a rash with little white blisters on it.  These can peel off as small white flakes of skin.  While I can't be specific about vaginal thrush (I get it underneath one boob occasionally), The tablet shoud help clear it up, but it can take a couple of days to be fully clear.  Get your DH treated as well.

#6 Lissome

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (elizabethany @ 12/01/2013, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thrush generally has a distinct smell, and looks like a rash with little white blisters on it.  These can peel off as small white flakes of skin.  While I can't be specific about vaginal thrush (I get it underneath one boob occasionally), The tablet shoud help clear it up, but it can take a couple of days to be fully clear.  Get your DH treated as well.

I never knew you got blisters with thrush, you learn a new thing everyday! It sounds like thrush to me OP

#7 Cyaira

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like thrush to me, I get it sometimes and it's the same, no smell, no rash, itching and white discharge like cottage cheese slightly.

If its your first time I would see a GP to double check.

Also as an anecdote, I found the creams much more effective than the tablets and yes you should treat your partner too.

#8 ubermum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

It could be, or it could be some sort of sti. If you are not 100% sure, you should get it checked out.

#9 Poseidon768

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

So I have a quick update:

(**TMI alert**)
I went to look at it again and got some toilet paper to see if any more would come off.

A LOT (albeit, not all) flaked out of me and brushed right out.  It was very very dry and resembled chalk dust.  So maybe it was thrush and the Canesten has killed a lot of it??

Dh and I DTD on Thurs but not last night - so I'll talk to him about getting something for him to make sure nothing transferred across to him.

I'm so relieved that it's (visibly, anyway) starting to go away and so quickly!

Again, many thanks for your responses.  I have found each and every one of them insightful and helpful original.gif

....oh, I guess my worryhead self will now need to ask:
Is this 'flaking off/out' typical of thrush after it has received treatment?
Just want some further confirmation that I was dealing with an overabundance of yeast.
Thanks so much original.gif

#10 CalEliKat

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Whilst I appreciate that you are looking for some kind of confirmation I ask, how on earth do you want us to confirm it for you?  If you are concerned go and see your doctor rather than asking a bunch of randoms on the internet about your vaginal flakeage.

#11 Poseidon768

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (kerrie23 @ 12/01/2013, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst I appreciate that you are looking for some kind of confirmation I ask, how on earth do you want us to confirm it for you?  If you are concerned go and see your doctor rather than asking a bunch of randoms on the internet about your vaginal flakeage.

Liek I said, I am going to.

In the meantime, I wanted some help anyway because I don't know where else to turn but the Internet.
I've already asked the pharmacist and they're confident that it's a yeast infection too.

*shrug*
Just thought EB was a helpful, supportive, compassionate community (with your occasional bad eggs, of course).

Edited by Poseidon768, 12 January 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#12 Farmgal

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

EB can be helpful, but sometimes people can be a bit blunt! It is hard to read people's tone sometimes.

Good luck with your lady bits wink.gif

#13 Poseidon768

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Just for the sake of being thorough and giving this thread a conclusion:
Canesten cream worked like a dream (I went to Dr Seuss school cool.gif )

Thank you so much to every one of you for your responses, especially SarahVandooo for your recommendation original.gif

#14 LumpySpacePrincess

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

It'll def take more than one dose to clear up, it usually takes afew days for it to clear up for me when just using the cream. I advise getting the tablet as well as the cream as that usually helps it clear up sooner.

#15 icekool

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just to add, the pill gave me thrush. So I had to watch my diet. I had to control the amount of yeast type food I ate ie bread and the sugar intake (both ingredients are breeding grounds for thrush).

They also recommend to wear cotton underpants.

#16 MrsShine

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Sounds like you have it sorted now OP but I second the fact that I never had blisters with thrush or much of a smell if any but everyone is different.

I have found all the "once" treatments only provide temporary relief and have never completely cured my thrush, I've always had to do a full course of the pessaries or cream. I prefer the cream as the coolness if it is also relieving. No matter what you use it always comes "out" IYKWIM so the chalkiness you describe was probably the tablet breaking down coming out with the thrush - sorry TMI!

Try to eat lots of yoghurt with acidophilus and bifidus and/or Yakult and ethical nutrients tabs to neutralise your gut whilst you're getting over it and avoid alcohol, caffeine and soft drinks for a few days original.gif

#17 libbylu

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Your DH can get some Canesten cream (or you can buy it for him) over the counter from the chemist and pop a bit on his penis day and night for three days and that should clear things up on his side of things.  He may have no symptoms, but if you had an infection that bad it is likely it has been brewing a while, so there's a good chance your DH has a bit too.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I am glad you are seeing your doctor OP.

I am not sure that some of your symptoms sound too much like thrush or at least thrush alone so best you get checked out as you and your partner will just be giving and taking until it is resolved.
Your pharmacist is taking a guess too,  unless they had a look and did a swab you may not be getting the correct treatment ...although Caneston will probably do no harm either original.gif

Edited by soontobegran, 13 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#19 Poseidon768

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

chloesmum - I'm definitely finding that each treatment is helping making it feel better / clear up more.  Still one more night's worth to go hurrah!

icekool - thanks for those extra tips original.gif

For everyone who said to get DH treated - does it matter if you use the 1-, 3-, or 6-day cream?  Any personal experiences for which one worked best for a male partner?

Edited by Poseidon768, 14 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.