Plane travel with little ones

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lazno

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

We are going on our first family holiday in a few weeks with our 15 month old.
I've been doing some reading about tips for plane travel and also the regulations on what you can take on board
With formula can anyone tell me how you can take it on the plane? He is on cows milk now but I think it might be easier for us to take formula for him while we are travelling. Can you take the bottles already made up? Or do you take bottles of water with the formula separate? How much water are you allowed to take?
Also what food does everyone recommend for the plane? We are flying Jetstar so no food or drinks are included so will need food for all of us.
Thanks

#2 unicycle

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I can't help you specifically with the baby food, but I will try to help with the rest.
Bring lots of food, enough for an extra meal for when the plane is delayed.
Bring extra clothes on board, too. For all of you, for when an accident happens and if you are going to a warm destination, have your bathers in your carry on , too.
Usually, when you get past all the controls, you can refill your water bottles to bring on board.
Have a great trip !

#3 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

We took Devondale long-life milk poppers on the plane, no problem. Also took some Rafferty's pouches for treats original.gif This was on domestic and international flights.

#4 TheSmithFamily

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I agree with the long life prima/popper I took a six pack.
Rafferty pouches are great too!

Depends on how long the flight is to how much I would take.
Where are you off to? Have a great time!

#5 danielle1985

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

My only advice is to go to the gate straight after you check in and see if they will block a seat for you if you aren't paying for a seat for bubs. We have flown 4 times and have always had AT LEAST one seat extra. One flight we had 6 seats between the 3 of us! This is obviously only if there are seats available.

Also I would take water with formula separate. Then if you get a jerk who doesn't understand the rules, you can empty the bottle of water and buy bottled water beyond the gate.

Also as per PP bring a change of clothes for the adults as well, in case of accidents but it also covers you if your bag is delayed.

Edited by danielle1985, 12 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#6 elmo_mum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

we flew with ds - he was 8 months old

we had 3 "bottles" of water and his formula was seperate
no one stopped or questioned us at security!

#7 bikingbubs

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Are you flying international or domestic? Domestic you will have no problems with food/water/formula but each time I have travelled international they even asked how many ml was in DS's drink bottle! (the limit is 200ml).  BUT..on board they gave us a massive 2L bottle of water and he didnt even need it for formula .  The long life milk things were fine though (250ml) so go figure original.gif

#8 anotherid

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

By 15 months I would just wean him off the cows milk before you leave anyway. There is really no need for it. They will get enough calcium from milk on their cereal, a yoghurt and some cheese each day.

As for other tips, there are so many great threads already in this forum so I suggest you do a search. You will find great advice.

Are you finally domestic or international? How long is your flight? There are massive differences between 2hr domestic flights and 26hr international flights!

#9 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I have done a few flights and the pouches with a screw top work well (especially as my DS likes to suck straight from the pouch) as do long life milk poppers.  The flight attendants also were happy to fill a bottle with cows milk but I had meal service.  A constant stream of snacks and little toys seems to work well, plus a few appropriate iPad apps.   I don't normally go for packaged stuff, but its much easier on a plane than home made.  

Some things that surprised me:  

If you take a straw cup for water then take the straw out or open the lid as you ascend or the water comes spurting out when you open it at altitude.

I inadvertently packed his shoes in the checked luggage (left home at 4am with him asleep) and they nearly didn't let us fly.

#10 BVB09

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Baby bottles are exempt, however I was asked at an International Airport to drink some of the contents in the bottle. It was only water ! wink.gif

I guess it depends on the Airline, airport and what mood the staff are in ! wink.gif

You will find that the staff will have boiling water on board and I am sure that if you asked them for milk, they would be more abliging, which I have done in the past.

Have a great holiday ! original.gif

Edited by Sim 74, 12 January 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#11 Genabee

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Last month I flew back to Melbourne from Montreal (via New York and LA) with our then 17 month old.

I second the PP who suggested asking for a seat to be blocked out. We do a lot of flying and we have always done this. I don't recall a flight we have done where we have not had at least one extra seat. On long haul flights especially, it makes all the difference - it can give you room to lie down with bub or lie bub across the seats.

With regard to formula, I have always taken the formula and then got water on the plane. Once leaving the USA, I had to ditch the whole lot and once in London, I was asked to drink from it!!! I've never had an issue getting water on the plane. More recently I haven't bothered with the milk as she can take it or leave it. I do however always have her water bottle as she drinks a lot in the air.

Definitely take lots of snacks! Last time I left Australia I took popcorn, plain (cooked) pasta, corn thins, rice crackers, a banana (had to be consumed before landing), an apple (great for them to munch on during the decent, but again, needed to be consumed or dumped before landing), some fruit tubs (golburn valley things), sandwiches, cheese, some yoghurt sachets (which I froze the night before so were perfect temperature when she ate them) and home made biscuits...

We have the extra hassle of being gluten free, so I always make sure we have plenty of food (they always seem to forget my special order meal, or it isn't entirely gluten free as was the case with United Airlines). If bub can handle BBQ chicken, carrot sticks, cheese sticks, celery sticks and boiled eggs, they are also possible options... I try to think of things that will minimise the mess too. Rice is never fun to clean up!  wink.gif

Again, coming back home was more of a challenge, as it wasn't so easy to prepare food for the flight. It did mean that I had little choice but to feed her take away type foods (mainly rice and hot chips in our case), which I stoked up on in the airport before leaving.

I usually have her dressed in a onesie and have her grobag handy for sleep time. I also have her shoes in the nappy bag so she can wander around the airport while in transit (I let her do this as I find she has a lot of pent up energy!! If she burns herself out a bit before getting back on the plane, my life is just that bit easier). Then I just have to have one other onesie in the nappy bag, with enough nappies and wipes to see me through (or as many as I can fit in, which is usually the case for long haul flights). I always dress comfortably (trackies with a hoodie) myself, in blacks and grey colours - less likely to see any grit if she covers me in something!

I take a couple of small, but new toys for her (last time we took a travel sized magna doodle thing, a pillow pet, her walking harness/lead thing and a quiet book), plus have the ipad/laptop loaded with age appropriate movies and aps.

Where possible, try to fly at times when they would ordinarily be sleeping too. DD usually falls asleep as the plane is taxing out to the runway, before we've taken off, and on shorter flights, has been known to sleep the whole flight and decent and I have to wake her up to get off the plane. I am one of the lucky ones who has a kid who sleeps happily enough on a plane and is she is pretty well travelled. But I also think it helps that I am always super prepared before hand - and always explain to her what is going to happen and what she is and isn't allowed to do. I try to keep her as busy as I can.

If he needs to cry, let him cry (and ignore all the evil looks you get!). Crying will release pressure in the ears, if there is any there. Something hard to chew on may also help this. And ask the flight attendants for assistance if you need it. They are usually pretty good!

And lastly, as much as it might not feel like it at the time, the flight won't last forever! Have a ball!!!!

#12 lazno

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for all your replies. There are some great tips there!
I think I will take the UHT milk poppers. They would be allowed through security despite being over 100ml? How many do you think they would class as reasonable? I'd hate to run out. We are looking at 16 hours travel from our first flight to arrival
Also on the way home from the USA will they let us take formula/milk on the plane? (Do the same rules apply)
We have travelled a lot in the past but this is our first trip with a child and its proving to be a lot more work already!!
Thanks

#13 Velocinag

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Last year DH and I went to Ireland twice with DD at 3months then 10 months. We took formula in a container and 6 bottles with water in them and one bottle already made. Sometimes we had to test the bottles going trough security,other times we didn't. For food the rafferty's garden pouches were awesome and we didn't have to test those.
We dressed DD in a onesie with several spares and also wore dark comfy clothes to cover and spills!
Often the airport website has what you can and can't bring re kids food/drink - well I know sydney airport website does.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.