Uk and Europe 2013

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ~benita~

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Wondering if anyone else is planning a family holiday in 2013 to Ek and EU?

We are planning mid September for 3-4 weeks.  England and maybe some more of the UK and France.  Maybe a stopover on the way home somewhere as well.

Are there any good travel blogs out there focussing on families?

#2 knickerless

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Probably going Christmas - England with perhaps a side trip to somewhere in Europe. Usually have more than enough to see and do just in England!

Not sure about travel blogs, I usually stalk tripadvisor original.gif

#3 biscotty

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Me, me! My daughter and I are going to Europe for 3 months, leaving 26 June original.gif

I don't know many travel blogs, except these:

http://www.ciaobambino.com/ciaobambinoblog...s-and-toddlers/

http://edventureproject.com/blog/

Would love to know more though!

#4 Tall Poppy

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

eexcite.gif We leave at the end of Feb.

Getting very, very excited. I don't know of any travel blogs but am keen to check out the ones others have posted.

We're flying with Emirates and stopping for awjile in Dubai and then on to Paris and into the UK. We ar gone just over a month.  ddance.gif

Anyone else? I want to enjoy this really high feeling as it may be a long time till we do a 'big' holiday again.  original.gif

#5 B.feral3

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

We're booked and paid in full to go to the UK on the 8th of September. I booked an Emirates Early Bird fare back in November. We're going for 3 weeks. We're staying with DH's father for half the time and his brother the other half so we don't really go for sightseeing. We are doing 2 nights in Singapore on the way over and 2 nights in Dubai on the way home though to break up the trip.

The last few times we've been over we've  done a bit of Europe as well but I think we'll just want to hurry up and get back this time with 3 kids!!

#6 blackcat20

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Me! I only decided last night, still need to do the budget etc but am thinking London, Paris, then two weeks around Italy.

#7 BVB09

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Going to Reid im Zillertal Austria in July-August !

Went last year as well, love it so much wub.gif !

#8 Bissett

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes we are planning a family holiday to Europe late August early September.

This is more of a meet the Grandparents/Aunts/Cousins holiday on both sides of the family (different countries) so there will be alot of staring into space for both DH & I as we both dont speak each others language lol

Whilst we are there I would like to do another country that I havent been to before & was thinking Italy. Can anyone recommend another? Been to France, Greece & Czech Republic

The last few times we've been over we've done a bit of Europe as well but I think we'll just want to hurry up and get back this time with 3 kids!!

Oh we have 3 & Im hoping things go smoothly  unsure.gif

#9 blackcat20

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I just booked my trip today biggrin.gif

London, Paris, then two weeks around Italy in September/October. So excited to go somewhere new.

#10 ~benita~

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Great to hear others are planning trips as well.  There is an interesting thread about which airline to travel - such a subjective subject.  We want to travel with Qantas or an affiliate so we can use our Qantas Club!  

We are going to get prices from the Sydney travel expo and book after that.

#11 thespottedcat

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yes! We are going in September to Ireland for a family wedding. Haven't been there before.

Bek+3 - we booked the Etihad early bird flights back then too. Seemed crazy at the time and even the travel agent kind of looked at me but hey, 3 seats plus baby to come and its worth booking the cheap flight!

After the wedding in Galway we will do a few more days in Ireland before heading to Biarritz, France for 4 nights for a chillax on the beach original.gif Is right near Spanish border so has a heavy basque influence and they apparently even do a bit of siesta during the day. Works for me and means we aren't trying to change location every 2 nights.

Putting thoughts of 24 hours on a  plane with 3.5 year old and 4 or 5 month old out of my mind.....at the moment!

Have been getting lots of ideas on child friendly travel from tripadvisor travel forums.....

#12 blackcat20

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (~benita~ @ 19/01/2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great to hear others are planning trips as well.  There is an interesting thread about which airline to travel - such a subjective subject.  We want to travel with Qantas or an affiliate so we can use our Qantas Club!  

We are going to get prices from the Sydney travel expo and book after that.

I'm preferring Qantas as well, as that's where all my points are. However it will come down to price if there are major differences. So far QF are cheapest for my dates, but it means routing back through London. I'm also waiting for the expo to see I'd I can get a better price.

#13 blackcat20

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

So annoyed! Just before I left work I did a quick dummy booking, and my flights were coming in at $1700 which is fantastic. Didnt have time to book as I had to be somewhere. Just got home intending to book and the flights are now $2900! How on earth do they go up that much in 5 hours?? If Id had the time I would have booked them on the spot.

#14 blackcat20

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Feel like I'm talking to myself in here.

Just a heads up, the Qantas/emirates deal means you can now book codeshare flights through the Qantas website. It means you can go from Europe back to Australia without doubling back through London. Pricing has been a bit up and down while they sort out the system, but I managed to get a pretty good price.

#15 traceybrown

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

We have booked and have three weeks in Rome and a cruise.  The cruise company has changed the itinery last week, we were to leave Rome and head to Greece and on to Egypt, but with the trouble in Egypt it is now turkey.  Kids have been watching Horrible Histories which has them excited about it.

#16 ~benita~

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

We have booked and paid for our tickets.  We are doing Qantas Emirates Codeshare which has been fabulous.  We can arrive in London and depart from Paris with no backtracking.  We got a great price (I thought) for our flights at about $1750 for adult tickets.  

I booked through Flight Centre - I just could not get the rates online that they could find.  Maybe try there?

We have booked some accommodation at Disneyland Paris as well.  

Traceybrown - Rome - so lucky! It will have to wait for our next trip.

Feeling great with our flights all being ticketed!

#17 blackcat20

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (~benita~ @ 05/02/2013, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have booked and paid for our tickets.  We are doing Qantas Emirates Codeshare which has been fabulous.  We can arrive in London and depart from Paris with no backtracking.  We got a great price (I thought) for our flights at about $1750 for adult tickets.

Agree! I'm so glad I didnt book until the Emirates flights were added, it means leaving Rome directly for me. Same price as you too. And apparently the Emirates 777s have 34 inches of leg room which is 3 more than Qantas.

#18 RunDMC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (blackcat20 @ 22/01/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So annoyed! Just before I left work I did a quick dummy booking, and my flights were coming in at $1700 which is fantastic. Didnt have time to book as I had to be somewhere. Just got home intending to book and the flights are now $2900! How on earth do they go up that much in 5 hours?? If Id had the time I would have booked them on the spot.

This is very frustrating! We have been caught before, not much help now but in the future print a copy of the flight price. Then if it changes take it into the flight centre and they can usually match and beat it.

Have you tried webjet.com.au?

I do not know if this is just an old wives tale but my IT friend told me to delete my cookies before trying another Internet search, something to do with your search history and the marketing algorithms they use to target prices at you. I have done this a couple of times and gotten different prices so who knows!

#19 blackcat20

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (RunDMC @ 05/02/2013, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is very frustrating! We have been caught before, not much help now but in the future print a copy of the flight price. Then if it changes take it into the flight centre and they can usually match and beat it.

Have you tried webjet.com.au?

I do not know if this is just an old wives tale but my IT friend told me to delete my cookies before trying another Internet search, something to do with your search history and the marketing algorithms they use to target prices at you. I have done this a couple of times and gotten different prices so who knows!

I've booked now, the prices dropped again the next day.
Bad news for anyone thinking they'd get more baggage with the Qantas/Emirates alliance; it only applies to tickets bought from the end of February. So us suckers that booked early get 7kg less than everyone else.

#20 libbylu

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

We have just booked our tickets! We will be in UK/Europe from start of June to end of July.  Malaysian had good deals, we paid $1660 each (adult) into London out of Paris (ex Melb.), which is pretty good for the peak.  May be cheaper in Sept though, if that is post peak.
If you have kids (boys particularly I guess) aged between 4 and 10 you should take them to a pirate day on the Golden Hinde.  http://www.goldenhinde.com/
DS still talks about this experience from our trip three years ago.
There are some great playgrounds in central london now too - lots to do in Battersea Park, also Hyde park has the princess Di memorial playground and clean fountain to play in on hot days.  Then there is the natural history museum with all the dinosaur bones near to the science museum, which is cool too.

Edited by libbylu, 12 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#21 mindy05

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

For those going to London, we took DD to Trafalgar Square to the brass rubbing centre (in the crypt under St Martin's church. She had great fun there making rubbings. Also, at the National Portrait Gallery opposite, they sell lots of kids storybooks so you can sit in front of a Van Gogh (Sunflowers) and read a story about it. And The double decker tourist bus tix last for 24 hours. We bought one at about 3 pm and had a tour right around London. Got off near Harrods for a quick visit. Then the next day we got on again and spent the day touring around, getting on and off the bus to look at various sights. DD especially loved Tower Bridge, and chasing the squirrels in Kensington Gardens.

#22 ~benita~

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Such exciting places to take kids!  We are really excited and it has totally lifted the mood of our house!  Hopefully the enthusiasm continues until September!

Not sure who mentioned the baggage allowances for Qantas/Emirates...  What is it supposed to be raised to?  Our itinerary says that we have 30kg on each leg - surely that is ample!  My husband is Qantas Club as well so gets 52kg.  Surely we cannot bust that!

#23 eachschoolholidays

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Have just booked out flights  eexcite.gif   5 weeks over Christmas!!  We haven't been since 2008 so I'm super excited!

Flying into Frankfurt and out of Paris.  I want to spend some time in Germany - I speak German, teach German history, and I love the Christmas markets  wink.gif  DH really wants to go to Bruges so we now just need to work out what to do in between.

#24 ~benita~

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Those Christmas markets look amazing!  So exciting to. Have tickets booked!

#25 eachschoolholidays

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (~benita~ @ 15/04/2013, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those Christmas markets look amazing!  So exciting to. Have tickets booked!

My favourite Christmas markets were in Weimar, but I'm not sure we'll be going there this time.  Not a lot for toddlers to do...   I think we will probably spend a couple of days in Nuremberg and the markets there are huge!  We'll probably be jetlagged when we arrive, so hopefully the kidlets will be able to stay up late enough to go for a wander wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.