FIFO employees and their Partners ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ♥Rumpelstiltskin♥

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

If you already work within the mines how hard is it to get a transfer to one mine to another ie. wanting to transfer to one in QLD...

#2 wildflowers

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

One advantage would be having the certificates if it is the same company.  I think it depends who you work for, there are so many contracting companies within mines. My dh works in mining but that only gave him a slight advantage cause he had all the health and safety certificates when he changed companies.  So you just need to keep asking to see what is available.

#3 ~ky~

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Depends on how many employees they have that want to do the same.

At the moment, DH wants to move from exploration back to mining (changed when they lost a contract and he was allocated a new job) but the company has quite a few employees currently on "sit down" rates which means that transfers are very unlikely at the moment. Until they are getting the best value for their money from their employees, flexibility has gone out the window.

Getting the right tickets and asking on a regular basis is really all that can be done.

As an aside - is anyone else getting really sick of people thinking that because your DH/DP is in the mines, they can get them a job? It's not as easy to get into as many people seem to think!

#4 GamerMum

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

~ky~ - YES! DF get's asked at least weekly to get someone a job on the mines. It drives him mental. In the beginning he used to pass resumes on to his boss, now he just hands out the the phone number to recruiting. Now I get bugged, and I don't even work there!

DF is currently in the process of trying to move mines. He's trying two different ways at once to see what happens. One is within the same company to a mine closer to the city, so we can move to the city. He currently comes home every day, and the move will mean FIFO (the company is a FIFO company, but DF is one of 5 locals that work there so they let him come home at night).

He is also applying to another mine that's semi-local, as it pays almost double what he gets now. He will also be FIFO there as they don't allow drive-ins. He has enough hours/experience (he's a dump truck operator and serviceman) but the mine he's currently at don't give certifications. He's currently writing up 3 years of driving hours and getting them signed off by his superiors.
DF is also a volunteer fire fighter, so he has all the skills for that, and also has first aid, snake handling etc etc because his bosses suggested that anything 'extra' on top of his work skills would be a bonus. Especially because the mines he's applied for, and works in now, are incredibly rural.

So we'll see what happens. There's a few people at his current mine that are waiting to hear about transfers. I'm yet to hear how they have gone though. They are still waiting I think.

#5 copham

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (~ky~ @ 13/01/2013, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As an aside - is anyone else getting really sick of people thinking that because your DH/DP is in the mines, they can get them a job? It's not as easy to get into as many people seem to think!

Sorry OP no advice as DH works for oil rigs not mines but 100% to the above post. DH works 4 on 4 off in PNG on an international Oilrig, family & friends see that at 26 DH earns $3500 a week after tax and ask for him to get them a job. What they don't realise is DH has been on the rigs since he was 18 & started on $60,000 as a salary. His worked hard & made sacrifices to get where he is now & they think that they can step into the industry tomorrow and earn $$$$$! Drives us insane.

#6 *melrose*

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Sorry OP no advice as DH works for oil rigs not mines but 100% to the above post. DH works 4 on 4 off in PNG on an international Oilrig, family & friends see that at 26 DH earns $3500 a week after tax and ask for him to get them a job.

Wow that's a lot of cash!

Edited by *melrose*, 13 January 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#7 Duck.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

DP is looking at doing FIFO his mate has offered him a job but its six weeks away.

I go nuts when hes had a long week i couldnt imagine him being away 6 weeks straight..

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

We've moved interstate with DH's job, although we prefer not to do FIFO, so he's only done it short term while waiting for us to be ready to join him.  He signed up for job alerts on the company website, so he gets all vacancies in his particular area all the time, then when he was ready to move (whether it was for promotional or family reasons), he applied for the position/location that he wanted. He's worked in 4 different locations in 2 states for the same company.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 13 January 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#9 ELH05

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (*melrose* @ 13/01/2013, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow that's a lot of cash!

My DH works on Oil Rigs and gets that, 4 on 4 off BUT as he's a contractor he doesn't get paid for his time off so basically split that in half as you need that money to last for 2
Months basically.  Oil Rigs are great if you can become a permanent employee not a contractor - which is pretty hard to find.

#10 copham

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 13/01/2013, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DH works on Oil Rigs and gets that, 4 on 4 off BUT as he's a contractor he doesn't get paid for his time off so basically split that in half as you need that money to last for 2
Months basically.  Oil Rigs are great if you can become a permanent employee not a contractor - which is pretty hard to find.

Yep DH is on contract/salary so we get paid that even when he is home original.gif his last job only paid for the days he works so some months we would get big pays and others we wouldn't even get 2000 for the month it sucked. I love this way as you know exactly what is coming in each week.

Edited by PinkNBlue85, 13 January 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#11 ELH05

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 13/01/2013, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep DH is on contract/salary so we get paid that even when he is home original.gif his last job only paid for the days he works so some months we would get big pays and others we wouldn't even get 2000 for the month it sucked. I love this way as you know exactly what is coming in each week.

Nice one - that's really good, wish DH could get on salary! Is he up the coast of WA or Timor sea ?  It's hard work, I know the friends of my DH who ask "can you get me a job" would not be able to handle it.  The money is great but the work is hard & it's hot!

#12 weepingangel

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

ELH05, We're in Perth also. DH is oil & gas, workshop based here in Perth but flies internationally to complete jobs on the rigs. So we don't loose pay when he's not on the rigs, if that makes sense. huge rates when he is away though.

He's on a salary, but gets away day rates on top when on the rigs.

Curious to know what type of work your DH does? You can PM me if you like.

DH is off to Timor for a month this week.

Edited by pukeko~ponga~tree, 13 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#13 copham

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 13/01/2013, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice one - that's really good, wish DH could get on salary! Is he up the coast of WA or Timor sea ?  It's hard work, I know the friends of my DH who ask "can you get me a job" would not be able to handle it.  The money is great but the work is hard & it's hot!

His in PNG working. Was working in WA before he got this job and it was good as we could talk now his in PNG and I speak to him for an hour the whole time he is away sad.gif

#14 Plumpy_Rex

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I totally understand about people expecting you to be able to get them a job.

I work FIFO in the WA goldfields, and the only thing I can do now is pass on a number to HR... Probably get asked by 4-5 people each break I'm home.

#15 ELH05

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (pukeko~ponga~tree @ 13/01/2013, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ELH05, We're in Perth also. DH is oil & gas, workshop based here in Perth but flies internationally to complete jobs on the rigs. So we don't loose pay when he's not on the rigs, if that makes sense. huge rates when he is away though.

He's on a salary, but gets away day rates on top when on the rigs.

Curious to know what type of work your DH does? You can PM me if you like.

DH is off to Timor for a month this week.

He started last year as a service technician fixing oil tools but money was crap, then got his break as a roustabout so he's doing the hard stuff and all the things no one wants to do - but we laugh saying he's the highest paid cleaner in WA lol !  But he's home now and not sure If he will go back, 4 weeks is too long for him.

Our friend works in Timor - 3 weeks on 4 weeks off, 3 on 5 off - now that's a good roster !!

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 13/01/2013, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His in PNG working. Was working in WA before he got this job and it was good as we could talk now his in PNG and I speak to him for an hour the whole time he is away sad.gif

Oh no - that's hard !!!  We can do FaceTime when he is away - I wouldn't be letting him go if I couldn't talk to him via Skype or FaceTime especially having a young one here who misses Dad!

Edited by ELH05, 13 January 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#16 weepingangel

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Same here, at most of the rigs so far (except when he was in Vietnam) DH uses FaceTime. Means we can see/speak to him most nights, I couldn't imagine how hard it must be for you PinkNBlue.

#17 copham

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 13/01/2013, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no - that's hard !!!  We can do FaceTime when he is away - I wouldn't be letting him go if I couldn't talk to him via Skype or FaceTime especially having a young one here who misses Dad!

We picked DH up at the airport the other day after doing 6 weeks to change his roster around and DS who is 15 months hid behind me for 10 minutes until he realised it was daddy. I agree its hard in April ill have another little one so 2 under 18 months in not looking forward to the hitches then :/

The rig DH works on is in the middle of the jungle they get a helicopter in and out as does the rig when they do rig moves so reception is bad I wish we could FaceTime wouldn't feel like such a single mum at times.

#18 Feral Mozzie

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 13/01/2013, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry OP no advice as DH works for oil rigs not mines but 100% to the above post. DH works 4 on 4 off in PNG on an international Oilrig, family & friends see that at 26 DH earns $3500 a week after tax and ask for him to get them a job. What they don't realise is DH has been on the rigs since he was 18 & started on $60,000 as a salary. His worked hard & made sacrifices to get where he is now & they think that they can step into the industry tomorrow and earn $$$$$! Drives us insane.

It's amazing how many people see someone else on big money and assume they are lucky, or that it must be easy to get. They rarely notice the years of hard work that went into getting it.

#19 ELH05

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Mozzie1 @ 13/01/2013, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's amazing how many people see someone else on big money and assume they are lucky, or that it must be easy to get. They rarely notice the years of hard work that went into getting it.

Absolutely - DH took over a year of calling, bugging & begging lol to get a start - plus countless tickets which are not cheap!

#20 ~ky~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (Mozzie1 @ 13/01/2013, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! That. and they just assume that because your DH is FIFO that you must be rolling in the cash!

DH is a drillers offsider in Kal and his income is better than he could have got in Perth but not really fantastic. Sometimes we wonder whether it is worth the time apart but the fact that he can work his way up the ladder with a view to making a lot more makes it worht at least trying for another few more years. To reach where he would like to be means at least a 10 year commitment to training, gaining experience and hard yards.

They don't understand what it is like to work in the pitch dark, up to your waist in water, throwing extremely heavy rods/core samples at an ambient temperature of around 47degC for 12 hours at a time. To get anywhere, you really have to put in hard work like this and really put your whole heart into it so that you are noticed and hopefully promoted out of it. Thankfully, DH is now working on a surface rig and he is absolutely ecstatic to be working in full sun or pouring rain and coping with the flies as it's infinitely easier!

#21 weepingangel

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

ELH05- Does your DH have a trade?

I think it depends a lot of who you know and what quals you have as well. DH couldn't break into the mines, but got into oil & gas. Neither could another friend of ours, they travelled all over to try getting into the mines and he couldn't ( HD mechanic) and is now also oil & gas. It's a funny business.

But then you hear of such and such who got their mates jobs..

I know for many people it's like starting their working life again, they literally have to start at the bottom and work their way up. There is that perception that FIFO = rich, but it's not always the case.

My DH was lucky and was one of those trades in demand and walked into a huge paying job. There are a couple of young guys at his work who have just got a traineeship and they will be on very very good money when they complete it- at around 21 years old!!!

#22 ELH05

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (pukeko~ponga~tree @ 14/01/2013, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ELH05- Does your DH have a trade?

I think it depends a lot of who you know and what quals you have as well. DH couldn't break into the mines, but got into oil & gas. Neither could another friend of ours, they travelled all over to try getting into the mines and he couldn't ( HD mechanic) and is now also oil & gas. It's a funny business.

But then you hear of such and such who got their mates jobs..

I know for many people it's like starting their working life again, they literally have to start at the bottom and work their way up. There is that perception that FIFO = rich, but it's not always the case.

My DH was lucky and was one of those trades in demand and walked into a huge paying job. There are a couple of young guys at his work who have just got a traineeship and they will be on very very good money when they complete it- at around 21 years old!!!

Ive P'md you original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.