What are you reading ATM?
Inspire me!

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleWitch

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Who is reading something good??

Anyone who recommends me fifty shades of sh*t? Will be shot!!

#2 Harellie

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

LOL. At the moment I am reading "Faithless" by Karin Slaughter. I have pretty much read every thing else she has written. I highly recommend her books if you enjoy crime books.

#3 Peppery

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Women's Murder Club Series by James Patterson. I have really enjoyed these books. They are of the thriller genre

#4 Melons

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (PurpleWitch @ 14/01/2013, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is reading something good??

Anyone who recommends me fifty shades of sh*t? Will be shot!!

The tea rose by Jennifer Donnelly

My all time fav book!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/261331.The_Tea_Rose

#5 tres-chic

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

I just read Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver and really loved it. Great lead character.

Now reading The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson which is very different, and good too.

#6 Jacki:)

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Australian Author .... Joy Dettman

have read the "pearl in a cage" series waiting for her new book in march

Just finished "mallawindy" and downloading the next book (on my e-reader) "Henrys daughter" in the Mallawindy series...

#7 KnightsofNi

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

I am reading Dear Mr Darwin. It is some biologist writing letters to Charles Darwin. I bought a bunch of books at the library for 50c, and that was one of them.

Very interesting for someone that knows very little about evolution and biology.

#8 KirbyCat

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

I've started reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I want to read all the Infernal Devices and Mortal instruments series before the City of Bones movie releases in August.

#9 raone

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Depends on what genre you feel like reading.

Fantasy- almost anything by the awesome aussie Sara Douglass. Particular like The Devils Diadem the last book before her death.
Crime-Second Karin slaughter. Loved Mr. Clarinette but can't remember authors name. ( If you do get this you have to push past the first chapter)

Horror- The Sookie Stackhouse/ True Blood series. This is an easy read. You have to ingnore some bad writing on occasion and also some contradictions. The type of book to read when you have alot of distraction. It also goes in a completely differnet direction than the TV series.

Trashy romance novels- If you want Fishpond has a fair few ebooks of these for free. They also have alot of classic stories.

Classics- If you haven't read it I really enjoyed To kill a mokingbird also another really easy read.

Lol can you tell what my favourite thing to do is. biggrin.gif

Edited by raone, 14 January 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#10 twinboys

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich I have got up to number 14 given to me in E Reader format.
Will need to hunt down the remaining 5 books though!

#11 suziej

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

From the library - Girl Sleuth - can't remember who by (and husband is sleeping in the room where the book is) - it is about the women who wrote Nancy Drew, but I am only in the early stages and it is going into amazing detail on the history of the suffrage movement and women's rights in the US - absolutely fascinating stuff!!!

#12 Coffeegirl

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Another who is working her way through a James Patterson series, this time the Alex Cross series (I've alread read The Women's Murder Club).   It's easy reading for the summer when I'm constantly distracted with calls of 'I'm bored'.  My reply is always 'Read a book!'

Also read 'Thinking Fast and Slow' by Daniel Kahneman.    Interesting read.  Was a book DH bought, but I ended up reading.

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach was also a good read.  The first few chapters were slow, but then it got going.  Was nice to read a book about friendships that was from a male point of view.

#13 Lyra

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I'm reading 'Fingersmith' by Sara Walters. I think that's the author's name. It's okay but I do think it could have done with a bit of an edit. It's an interesting story that did a complete turnaround at the end of part one. I literally went WTF!

I have just finished reading the last in the Game of Thrones series and am very annoyed that there is no release date for the next book. I knew I shouldn't have read it so darn fast!

I am not sure what I am reading next. I had hoped to have Bring up the Bodies to read but it's still on reserve at the library

#14 Ireckon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Right now I am working my way through a few books about the POW's from WWIi, specifically those under control of the Japanese. It's pretty horrible stuff, and h had me in tears a couple of times, but I can't seem to stop reading about it. Man is a very horrible creature.

#15 Bastet

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I am half way through "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett.  Just to change things up a bit I started reading Patricia Cornwell's latest book "Bone Bed" last night. That one I should finish later today .

#16 Azadel

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Mao - The Untold Story by Jung Chang and John Halliday. Wild Swans is one of my all time favourites so I've been meaning to read this for years.

#17 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'm reading the Light Between Oceans (ML Stedman)- an historical Australian novel about a couple who find a baby washed up on their island where they keep the lighthouse.  Of course, they raise the baby as their own, etc etc.  It's a very nice read, actually, enough emotion to keep me interested, not enough to make me feel queasy! The underpinning ideal is when "good people do bad things".

I have it on my Kindle.

#18 Ireckon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Bastet @ 14/01/2013, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am half way through "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett.  Just to change things up a bit I started reading Patricia Cornwell's latest book "Bone Bed" last night. That one I should finish later today .

I love Pillars of the Earth, have visited that many times. It has a sequel too, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

#19 CleverChook

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 14/01/2013, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm reading the Light Between Oceans (ML Stedman)- an historical Australian novel about a couple who find a baby washed up on their island where they keep the lighthouse.  Of course, they raise the baby as their own, etc etc.  It's a very nice read, actually, enough emotion to keep me interested, not enough to make me feel queasy! The underpinning ideal is when "good people do bad things".

I have it on my Kindle.

This is on my list - sounds great!

I've just finished The Secret Keeper, Kate Morton's latest - loved it, as I have all her novels.  She's probably my favourite author at the moment. It's set mainly during WWII in London, but dips backwards and forwards including up to the present day as most of her novels do.

I haven't read any Ken Follett yet, but thoroughly enjoyed watching The Pillars of the Earth recently on ABC, so might add that to my list.

#20 ubermum

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Jacki:) @ 14/01/2013, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Australian Author .... Joy Dettman

have read the "pearl in a cage" series waiting for her new book in march

Just finished "mallawindy" and downloading the next book (on my e-reader) "Henrys daughter" in the Mallawindy series...

Awesome author. Start with Pearl in a Cage OP.

I'm reading The Passage, by Justin Cronin. It's ok, not amazing though.

#21 Old Grey Mare

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (tres-chic @ 14/01/2013, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just read Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver and really loved it. Great lead character.

Now reading The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson which is very different, and good too.

Got this one for Christmas and it is next on my list to read. Have just finished Girl Gone (or was it Gone Girl?). Loved the book right up to almost the end - just did not like the way it was resolved at all. Currently reading "The Uke of Wallington" - story of a middle aged man who travels the length of Britain playing his ukulele at "open mic" nights - sounds a bit tame but is hilarious.

#22 Monroe

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 14/01/2013, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got this one for Christmas and it is next on my list to read. Have just finished Girl Gone (or was it Gone Girl?). Loved the book right up to almost the end - just did not like the way it was resolved at all. Currently reading "The Uke of Wallington" - story of a middle aged man who travels the length of Britain playing his ukulele at "open mic" nights - sounds a bit tame but is hilarious.

I am trying to start this book. But it's the apparent ending that's putting me off.

Second True Blood. I'm currently into book 5. I love that I can read books in between and still pick them up and know exactly where I was.
I've also read the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day. That was interesting. (Maybe a bit too close to 50 shades for you PW, sorry!)
And the passage followed by the twelve by Justin Cronin, it's so strange but so good.

#23 71Cath

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I just had to read "The harp in the South" for my book club, it was OK.

Now onto something much more fluffy - "The Mystery of Mercy Close" by Marian Keyes

#24 BadCat

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (raone @ 14/01/2013, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Horror- The Sookie Stackhouse/ True Blood series.

Just a heads up on these ones PW, I found the one I tried to struggle through to be just about as drivelsome as the few chapters of 50 Shades I waded through.  

My current read is a bit of a niche and quite probably of no interest to you though.  I'm reading a book about Ed Viesturs quest to climb all fourteen 8000m mountains without supplemental oxygen.  Great read if you're into that sort of thing.  Probably tedious as hell if you're not.  laughing2.gif

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Currently on "Silver Wattle" by Belinda Alexander.

I'm loving her books - I borrowed Wild Lavender from the Libary over the Christmas Break & it was fantastic as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.