Massive Zucchini

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BeYOUtiful

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

We have a massive homegrown zucchini - think size of a whole butternut pumpkin!

I was thinking zucchini muffins.
Any other suggestions please?

#2 CFMummy

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

stuffed as a main meal yum

#3 ~chiquita~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Zucchini slice. Freezes well.

#4 MegzG

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

chocolate zucchini cake
zucchini and bacon slice

#5 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I was going to say zucchini slice also.  Although it doesn't use a huge amount.  So maybe freeze the rest?  I usually do that - grate it and freeze it.  It works really well  original.gif

#6 robot sm

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Zucchini fritters!  original.gif

#7 Bunsen the feral

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Google marrow recipes - my favourite as a child was stuffed with savoury mince and wrapped in bacon before roasting.

Is marrow just a British thing then?

#8 BeYOUtiful

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yum love zucchini slice and fritters (with corn), with some Bacon sounds delish.
Stuffed with savoury mince sounds good. I am the only one really keen on zucchini so need to disguise it.

Off to Google Choc cake/zucchini even the fussy big kid would eat that!

Thanks for the ideas

Edited by ~Jane05~, 14 January 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#9 Elemenopee

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I used to make a zucchini soup, which had some curry and rice in it. It was delicious.

#10 Katie_bella

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Bunsen @ 14/01/2013, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Google marrow recipes - my favourite as a child was stuffed with savoury mince and wrapped in bacon before roasting.

Is marrow just a British thing then?

Nope, big zucchini's are marrows here too original.gif

#11 Daisy Goat

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

EB kids has a recipe for Moist Chocolate and Zuchinni Cake that I made this week. It is absolutely delicious. I used two largish zuchinnis in one cake so you could use one very large one.

You can't even tell it has zuchinni in it and the kids loved it.  Definitely a keeper recipe
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/recipes/lu...1018-27tfw.html

#12 Escapin

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'd use something where the taste isn't so important. We used to grow enormous marrows (like 40cm long at least) for fun, but Dad always said that they weren't any good for eating.

#13 ~*Amethyst*~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone have the recipe or link for the Moist Chocolate & Zucchini Cake that DG has put up above? I can't get the link to work nor can I find the recipe on EK.

XxxAmethyst

#14 Daisy Goat

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Ingredients

1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup neutral oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 1/2 cups firmly packed grated zucchini (I used about 4 small zucchini)
Method
Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.

Place the sugars, oil, vanilla, eggs, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Whisk together until combined. Sift in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and bicarb soda. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. Add the grated zucchini and stir through.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Edited by Daisy Goat, 14 January 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#15 password123

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Turkish style zucchini balls with tzatziki?

#16 ubermum

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

They get kind of tough when they get big. Don't let them grow that big, pick the babies often.

#17 password123

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 14/01/2013, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They get kind of tough when they get big. Don't let them grow that big, pick the babies often.

Agreed. I tried to chop a monster last night and almost needed a chainsaw! Despite being diced it also needed extra steaming time.

#18 BeYOUtiful

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

We didn't grow it, my DP could only dream of growing one so big cool.gif
I might stir fry some with tomato and onion first to check it tastes ok.

#19 frogsong

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I second the chocolate zucchini cake from the EK site - even DH who hates zucchini said it was a nice cake.  Try zucchini relish as well, that's yummy as well. We have zucchinis coming out of our ears at the moment.

#20 ~*Amethyst*~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks DG! I shall try that tomorrow!

XxxAmethyst

#21 credence

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Here's the link to the Zucchini Loaf. It was just missing a colon!
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/recipes/lu...1018-27tfw.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.