French/ Dutch oven recipes
Care to share?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I am waiting impatiently for my Le Chasseur French oven to be delivered. So to pass the time until my beauty arrives, I thought I'd see what your favourite recipes are for cooking in a French or Dutch oven.

What are the must do's?

#2 carriesshoes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

2 cans of beans and broccoli... eat all quickly and ferment.

Hop into bed, release gasses and pull up covers.  Ask partner to move bed covers to check your knee for mozzy bite, then quickly pull up covers and envelope him in gas.

Sorry!  I couldn't help myself! LOL!!!!

#3 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I did wonder how long it would take for that kind of comment to appear. Hilarious.

#4 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Anyone?

#5 TheGreenSheep

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ha ha ha to the PP.

I usually do anything that people use their slow cooker for. Much better results IMO.

I also cook my spag Bol in it.

I also do a Matt Moran slow roasted lamb leg with port and potatoes. It's to die for.

A slow braised chicken thigh with spring veg is nice and delicate.

I've also made the usual curries on the stove top.

I mostly use it in winter.

#6 noi'mnot

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I agree, it's ace for curries that need a long cooking time.

And, it beats the pants off a slow cooker when it comes to taste, honestly it does. I love my slow cooker in winter for when I need to go to work and have dinner ready when I get home, but the liquid is never as beautifully thick and delicious, and the caramelisation can't be beaten from my chasseur.

I also agree with a slow braised roast, it's just awesome. Try a shoulder of lamb or goat, it's just so delicious.

Another fantastic trick I've found is that it's wonderful for cooking rice. I don't know why, but it always comes out absolutely perfect (absorption method). It's also great for things like biryani.

I often dice pumpkin and put them in a layer on the bottom with olive oil, on the stove, until they get beautifully caramelised. Then I throw in frozen peas and let them cook, then turn it off and stir through fresh baby spinach leaves, basil pesto and cooked pasta. Everybody loves this!

It really does come into its own during winter, so there's not much else I can think of off the top of my head, as I'm not quite into that winter cooking mode right now!

#7 ~~~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm so sorry laughing2.gif I couldn't think of anything else other than the beans and broccoli post roll2.gif

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Cabbage is good with the beans and broccoli, too.

Anyway, I just remembered that if you're doing a stew that can have dumplings then again the french oven is super ace because they can be browned on the top. MMmmmm, cheesy dumplings! original.gif

Ask again in winter and I'm sure you'll have hundreds more answers! original.gif

#9 lady_Mosh

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

As well as all those delicious slow braises I have used it a number of times to make bread using this recipe

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2...knead_bread.php

The bread is delicious almost with a sourdough consistency!

Oh - also this osso bucco recipe is always a winner in my house... the meat just falls off the bone

http://homes.ninemsn.com.au/realliving/rea...beef-osso-bucco

ps- would love that lamb with port recipe previously mentioned

Edited by lady_Mosh, 14 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#10 Three Of Hearts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I make braised steak and onion in mine.  Sooooo buttery and delicious! tthumbs.gif

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

The Jim Lahey bread is epic.  It's worthwhile tracking down his bread making book if you fall in love with that recipe.

I use mine for anything I would use a slowcooker for.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

If you are using a slow cooker recipie, what adjustments do you need to make to use the french oven?

Also how long & what temperature - all i make in mine is lamb shanks, but I would love to make more casserols.

#13 opethmum

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

#14 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Osso bucco, lamb shanks and apricot chicken are all winners. I use mine on the stove top for curries, chili con carne and kedgeree (Nigella's Asian Spiced Kedgeree is a fav in this house). And you can do the meat bit of a shepherd's pie in it, then put the potato on top and whack it in the oven to brown. The Chasseur one will look nice set right down in the middle of the table too. original.gif

#15 noi'mnot

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 15/01/2013, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Chasseur one will look nice set right down in the middle of the table too. original.gif

Speaking of which, which colour did you get OP? I have two blue ones. original.gif

#16 credence

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

If you are using a slow cooker recipie, what adjustments do you need to make to use the french oven?

Also how long & what temperature - all i make in mine is lamb shanks, but I would love to make more casserols.

if you have a slowcooker recipe, increase the liquid slightly. Generally if I was doing a stew/casserole type thing, I'd just cover the meat with enough liquid. It reduces quite a bit in the oven. You kind of can't go wrong though because you just check it after a couple of hours and if it has reduced a bit too much, just top it up with a splash more water/stock.

As for timings and temperatures, I cook most things on about 160 degrees for at least 2 hours, sometimes 3 - depends what it is.

#17 farfaraway

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

A bit naff for such fine cookware, but I do a wicked defiled sausages in mine (using chorizo and making the sauce from scratch if that helps my cred!) It's delicious and a real winter winner with mash or cous cous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.