Centerlink are spying on EB
And I approve!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Sassy Dingo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I posted a question about Dad and Partner pay a week or two ago and one of the responders was a person claiming to be from centerlink:

"Hi there, I work with the Australian Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to questions about Centrelink payments and services on social media sites like this"

They then answered my question.

I thought that was really progressive of them, especially considering the amount of centerlink questions which come up on this site, and the general dislike of centerlink in general original.gif

Good job centerlink.

My original topic if anyone is curious:

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...1044403&hl=

#2 protart roflcoptor

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Really? Are you sure they are genuine?

#3 JustBeige

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Wow, that is a good thing. As long as the info is correct.  Lol, you dont want it to be like the call centre, where you usually have to ring back to verify that you got the correct information in the first place.

#4 Let_it_Rain

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (ossim roflcopter @ 14/01/2013, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Are you sure they are genuine?

It wouldn't surprise me. They definitely have a presence on other forums and it would make sense for them to be here since it is a huge forum with a member base that would largely be receiving benefits.

#5 glasnost

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Not sure if I am cool with this or not?! Sounds a bit creepy OP.

#6 happygurl06

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Maybe we should have a new sub forum "questions for Centerlink", easier than sitting on the phone half the day!

#7 ~sydblue~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (mamasaurus @ 14/01/2013, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if I am cool with this or not?! Sounds a bit creepy OP.

Well then you may not want to ever post on EB again. Because a load of posts get used for articles in the paper all the time.

#8 Mrs Dinosaurus

*applies for job as EB spy at centrelink*

#9 Mille-Mille

Hi Centrelink,

Just wanted to let you know how annoying I think a lot of the applications questions for paid parental leave are.

That is all.

Thanks.

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I've seen them reply to other threads as well.  I do think it is a good idea, I wonder if they spy on the members - I am sure if I had a photo sig and revealing info on here and was doing the dodgy I would be changing my sig lol!

#11 The Old Feral

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Pretty common these days for big organisations to scour the web for mentions of themselves and respond if they think it would be helpful.

I don't see how it could be construed as creepy?!

#12 LynnyP

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I am not sure you can spy on a publicly available internet site with open membership?

#13 JJ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've seen them pop up on Yahoo Questions and other sites too... yes, apparently they do have people monitoring social media sites for questions (though I'm surprised they haven't had a presence on EB until now). I guess it's preferable to people being told the wrong thing by internet randoms. original.gif

Edited by JJ, 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#14 JRA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (happygurl06 @ 14/01/2013, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe we should have a new sub forum "questions for Centerlink", easier than sitting on the phone half the day!

We pretty much do don't we, 90% of managing money are centrelink questions

#15 jmaz86

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I can see that they would do that, however I would still prefer confirmation from a authenticated source

#16 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (LynnyP @ 14/01/2013, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not sure you can spy on a publicly available internet site with open membership?

tongue.gif

Semantics!! I still want to work anywhere that I can be paid to legitimately be on this site laughing2.gif

#17 Kitteh of Babylon

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Or, you know, the Centrelink staff member may have a baby or young kids herself and be an EB member off her own bat... wink.gif

#18 PrincessPeach

QUOTE (JRA @ 14/01/2013, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We pretty much do don't we, 90% of managing money are centrelink questions

That & tax questions!

#19 LynnyP

That is a very slippery slope Dinosaurus!  There are some things that there isn't enough money to pay me to read!

#20 qak

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

It would be good if they could give you a reference number for their answer!

#21 maeby

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Dear Centrelink,

That voice recognition thing on your phone system drives me bananas.  Really, if the only options are "yes" or "no" and it still can't understand me, there's probably a fundamental problem somewhere.

Kind regards,

etc

#22 Feral_Pooks

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Dear Centrelink,

I have called every day for a fortnight but I get the busy signal.

You are overpaying me.

Thnxkbai.

#23 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I saw that reply this morning, and honestly I assumed it was someone mucking around. Isnt a waste of resources to have a govt employee scouring internet forums for questions?

I'd much rather have my phone call answered within a reasonable time!!

Edited by JBaby, 14 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#24 Megs25

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Dear Centrelink,

Thanks for ruining my life.

Lots of Love xo

#25 Bam1

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'd still not trust the answer completely, the reply in the other thread had good info but nothing to authenticate the source.

I wonder how seriously they take what is said here as I'm sure that not everything is always the absolute trufh biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.