Pregnancy signs and symptoms...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 3'sACharm

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Lately i've been hearing a lot of TTC'ers (not just here on EB either) go thru their 2WW picking at EVERY SINGLE craving or whatever and calling it a symptom/sign and then the big day comes and AF is a day late but your getting  BFN.gif  and your world comes tumbling down because you swear black and blue that the sore nipples or the pimple on your chin that you NEVER get or even the certain smells you can't handle now, you swear were pregnancy related! I just don't understand..and I know i'm gonna get FLAMED for this but isn't it true?? Why do we obsess so much over our bodies when we are TTCing? We are just upsetting ourselves by doing so!

What do you think??

Edited because I just want to make it clear that I have nothing against the women who worry about bleeding or cramps.

Edited by 3'sACharm, 14 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#2 libbylu

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have been pregnant 3 times and had totally different early symptoms each time (which of course I obsessed over).  IMO there is just no good way of predicting - but it's human nature isn't it?  We are creatures of hope and we just can't help it!

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Because they are ttc?
Some people are extremely anxious and worried. Some people have been ttc for months and months.

I guess op you will be one of these insensitive people to say 'relax, just let it hapen' when for some people it's much much harder than that.

#4 3'sACharm

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 14/01/2013, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they are ttc?
Some people are extremely anxious and worried. Some people have been ttc for months and months.

I guess op you will be one of these insensitive people to say 'relax, just let it hapen' when for some people it's much much harder than that.

Hey I understand it's not all flowers and rainbows and there are things that women should never ever go thru and I have friends who have tried for nearly half their life to have a baby but I'm just talking about the ladies who over think symptoms way before conception has even occurred.

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 14/01/2013, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they are ttc?

Mmm this. I joked to DH at one stage about the smell of something and how it could be a sign. The only times I had true pregnancy symptoms was when I had the suspected chem preg (5 days late, sore boobs, sick, one strange test all others negative) and the month we got pregnant with this one (sick, sore boobs, heaps of positives) Those symptoms meant that I could be pregnant and that month wasn't a waste or wasn't another month toward us not getting there on our own. I was determined to get there without medical help I think because for so long I had been told it wouldn't happen) I wanted something so bad that every bit of hope was clung to. For me I only got the true ones twice as I said a suspected chem and a proper positive which had turned into this baby.

#6 3'sACharm

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

MrsLexiK Congratulations on your pregnancy!!  original.gif

#7 ~Peaches~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I would say it's because it's something you want so very much. It's hard to be rational sometimes when it's something you desperately want, and really you don't have all that much control over. Sure, your brain knows it's not going to be all that helpful to obsess over every little niggle or twinge, but you can't help that your heart wants to hold onto hope that that could be the lucky month original.gif Especially as the months go by and you want it even more. That two weeks can feel like a long time to wait, so I can see why people would want to read into things that could possibly mean they are finally having their much longed for baby. As long as it's not hurting anyone else, I don't see any harm in it.

#8 3'sACharm

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (~Peaches~ @ 14/01/2013, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say it's because it's something you want so very much. It's hard to be rational sometimes when it's something you desperately want, and really you don't have all that much control over. Sure, your brain knows it's not going to be all that helpful to obsess over every little niggle or twinge, but you can't help that your heart wants to hold onto hope that that could be the lucky month original.gif Especially as the months go by and you want it even more. That two weeks can feel like a long time to wait, so I can see why people would want to read into things that could possibly mean they are finally having their much longed for baby. As long as it's not hurting anyone else, I don't see any harm in it.

Thank you peaches that is very true. I meant this post in a semi-light hearted way...I never intentionally wanted to hurt anyone...if I have I am sincerely sorry! Edited-because i can't spell wacko.gif

Edited by 3'sACharm, 14 January 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#9 Bedge

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think it's a two pronged effort!

What makes us human is that we seek reason for things and rationalize. It's our human brain, and what makes more 'evolved' than chimps!

Then mix in the biological need and desire to procreate and continue the human race.

It's a perfect storm really ... and I think it's something that we have little control over.

Our bodies want to create life and our curious minds become focused on that achieving that.

Edited by Bedge, 14 January 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#10 Duck-o-lah

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I think I was on to my 14th cycle and coming up to testing time. I was driving home and singing along to the radio and I couldn't hit the high notes. It suddenly dawned on me that when I was pregnant with DS I couldn't sing as well as normal, therefore I HAD to be pregnant. I stopped on the way home to purchase a HPT and was completely devestated when it was negative.

In hindsight of course it was ridiculous. It's the sort of thing any rational person would think was completely absurd. Anyone else would say why are you doing this to yourself, it's torture! But I remember so vividly how I was feeling around that time, I was willing to hold onto anything. I feel really sad thinking about that day because it encapsulates the desperation and sadness that I was feeling. I don't expect anyone who hasn't had some difficulty TTCing to understand.

I would say it's because it's something you want so very much. It's hard to be rational sometimes when it's something you desperately want, and really you don't have all that much control over.
Completely agreee.

#11 Froyo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

In my years of TTC I've learned that early pregnancy signs are bull and only serve to mess with people's heads.

I do get frustrated when people claim to have symptoms before implantation. It's just not possible.

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Alot of it is gut instinct.  I knew late 2011 after many positives including one at the doctors surgery that I was not pregnant.  I even told the doctor I wasn't.  So she referred me for a scan and surprise surprise it was a blighted ovum.  I knew that.
I know when implantation is successful because I implant on 6/7 dpo and the cramping is really bad.  It is a feeling I get that something has happened.  I often know that I am pg before the test comes up positive.  I don't dwell on every symptom and twinge but rely on good ole gut instinct.  
I used to roll my eyes about people saying they think that they are before implantation can possibly take place but could they just sense something has happened?
We are TTC atm but I have better things to do than micro-analyse what my body is doing but it also nice to hold onto the hope that maybe a new life has started.

#13 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

With LTTCérs and those doing AC, they are so in tune with their bodies, anything out of the ordinary and it's like 'Am I?' - but you will also find most LTTCérs they will ignore it until it is close to testing.

With TTC'ers - some believe HCG starts producing when the egg fertilises, but it doesn't start producing until after implantation (around 7 - 10 DPO) and the placenta starts to form. So think you are pg the day afer O...

Also the hormones Progesterone starts to peak at around 7 days past Ovulation - Progesterone also gives you some awesome Imaginary Pregnancy Symtpoms which throw people out! You advise them, but it's up to them whether they take it on board it or not!

Edited by Bwok~Bwok, 14 January 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#14 *melrose*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hay when ya been trying for 12 years+ that's all you can think about, you have no idea what some people go through!

#15 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hay when ya been trying for 12 years+ that's all you can think about, you have no idea what some people go through!

I don't know who that is directed at, but I'm assuming it's the OP - which I think she is talking about those that have started out TTC not LTTC'ers. original.gif

ETA: spelling is shocking when you are on drugs original.gif

Edited by Bwok~Bwok, 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#16 ~ky~

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Because in the process of ttc, they become incredibly aware of their bodies and every little thing out of the ordinary is suddenly so obvious that they feel like it is happening to them for the very first time. Sometimes it is, and it it does indicate pregnancy, sometimes they are just made aware of it for the first time and it is actually a regular occurance.

Before I came onto any forums, I had no idea of pregnancy symptoms or cervical mucous etc. It was an eye opening experience and as a result I am far more aware of what is happening in my body. Whether this is a good thing in all circumstances, I'm not sure.

#17 lozoodle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

I think its partly wishful thinking. A lot of the early symptoms of pregnancy are similar to that you would experience after ovulation anyway (eg, tender boobs, cramps, etc). But because they are suddenly paying attention to these things they assume its pregnancy related when really they would have felt that way anyway but probably not noticed.

I never really had any early signs, though i remember way back when first ttc getting excited over things that werent really bfp signs. I did feel sick before my bfp this time and last time, but it wasnt a usual 2ww thing for me and that feeling continued for weeks!

#18 BeccaBoo88

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I agree that it's because it's the thing on their mind most of the time - of course it's natural to try and rationalise anything to show them that it's not time to give up.

Personally, I was the other way around. Every little sign or symptom was a reason I was going to miscarry. Looks like I inherited my mum's 'worry gene'!

#19 *melrose*

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I don't know who that is directed at, but I'm assuming it's the OP - which I think she is talking about those that have started out TTC not LTTC'ers

OH sorry ninja.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.