Please help me save my dog

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#26 *Ker*

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Tamara works magic with dogs. She regularly works with rescue dogs (which is how I know her). Give her a try. She can only help. She'll be honest about what and how long it will take too.

#27 Jelly Bee

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Ker, appreciate that. I will give her a call tomorrow.

#28 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hi JB,

just wondering how Roo is, and letting you know I've just sent you a PM (and Ker). Please let me know if it doesn't show up!

#29 shelly1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I may get slammed but I don't think crating her whilst you are gone is a bad idea. Could you exercise her in the morning and when you get home? I know in the UK it is very common for this to occur and I have a good friend who does this with her dogs for their safety her in Australia and her dogs are fine

#30 *Ker*

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

You sent me a PM? I didn't get one.

#31 Prickly

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I know you said that you had tried a companion dog for her, but what about a really young puppy ? Her maternal instinct might kick in, and distract her long enough ?
I'm in no way an animal expert, and I've no idea how you would go about doing this & what would happen to the puppy if it didn't work.

#32 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Dang.

I suspect my PM was playing up. Jellyblush got it - so hopefully she's responded to you with some questions about other contacts you might have in the area ...

#33 *Ker*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Nothing as yet!

#34 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

PM is not working outwards, I don't think..

Anyway, I wondered if you have any rescue dog contacts who might be able to help JB with 'dogsitting' during the day - or may know someone who is? As a short term measure, while the new dog behaviouralist gets to work on Roo.

#35 Jelly Bee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 16/01/2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi JB,

just wondering how Roo is, and letting you know I've just sent you a PM (and Ker). Please let me know if it doesn't show up!

Hi guys! Ker, I did try to PM you for advice, but couldn't tell if the PM went through, then I stopped because if they HAD gone through I didn't want to be a pest!

Spikey, you have been fab, cheers. Based on your advice and others in this thread, since I last posted I have:

- Made another appointment with Dr. Carter, Roo's behaviourist. I have set up surveillance cams for this week so I can take the videos along to the appointment next week. Who knows what that will yeild as I'm not sure there are further drug options but it'll be great to talk everything over

- contacted a rescue in Essendon, gave a full outline of Roo's issues and links to these threads but haven't heard back as yet  - still hope to do so

- am trialling booties and a soft muzzle when I go to work to reduce Roo's ability to self harm. Booties were a spectacular fail, front ones off in two seconds, back ones manky and filthy and dragging about. Lol. She hates the muzzle. However, it has had the effect of her not biting at herself so in that sense it's working. Any thought on this appreciated - trying to find a balance between helping her and ensuring she has maximum quality of life

- Have found a friend of a friend who can have her one day per week. First day there today, all went well. Huzzah!  Was worried as I know anxiety is cumulative so thought the new experience might make things worse, but it seemed ok.

- Have placed an ad in local paper and on gumtree for a person who'd be happy to have her the other 4 days, local to me. Have had a load of responses and am meeting the best two on Weds and Thurs after work

Hence being too busy to post an update for a bit, lol.

I am still very very open to  further suggestions, especially for training, rescue orgs who can give me a realistic view of things, and anyone who might know someone in Melbourne willing to have a very cute dog mooch around them during the day.

Roo is currently chasing rabbits in her sleep next to me with a bit of her tongue poking out between her teeth. wub.gif

#36 Jelly Bee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Prickly @ 19/01/2013, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know you said that you had tried a companion dog for her, but what about a really young puppy ? Her maternal instinct might kick in, and distract her long enough ?
I'm in no way an animal expert, and I've no idea how you would go about doing this & what would happen to the puppy if it didn't work.

Hey Prickly, thanks heaps for reading and posting.  

From what I know of animal behaviour, and I may well be corrected, it is likely that a young puppy, being the less dominant dog, would be fairly likely to model Roo's behaviour - and two dogs like her I seriously could not cope with.

I am very open to trying it on a trial basis though, I've wondered about fostering to see if there might be a dog that would be just the right one... .not sure a foster org would want me though despite my house being as dog proof as it is possible to be, and me loving dogs as much as it is possible to love them, for exactly the reason stated above.  

Also wanted to add - the ad I placed for care for Roo was paying $20 per day. Thoughts on that appreciated too, it's around half what professional dog daycare in Melbourne is .... no basis for comparison other than that... seem to be getting responses at that price though. I can't really afford much more on top of all the meds sad.gif

#37 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

JB,

can I just say that you are a wonderful and beautiful person for not giving up on Roo just yet? wub.gif  bbighug.gif

#38 Therese

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I also want to say that you are a fantastic person Jellyblush. No matter what ends up happening no one can ever say you haven't given your all to help Roo.

#39 Jelly Bee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thanks you guys original.gif

It is really, really, tough sometimes. So a bit of support makes all the difference, which I don't always get in real life, sometimes the opposite.

Anyway, how could you give up on this?!

#40 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

JB, I've been wondering how you've been going. I just want to echo spikey and Therese - you are amazing and clearly love Roo so much. wub.gif

#41 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Nawwww what a cutie! I am so sorry Roo has these problems. Going from the fact you mentioned Essendon I am assuming we are no where near each otherwise. Otherwise from May I would totally take you up and have Roo here, that way I could get the benefit of two dogs and DH would be happy he only had to deal with one when he was home.
My dog has anxiety issues (very small in comparison to Roos) it is so hard when you love them so much.

#42 *Ker*

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Jellyblush @ 21/01/2013, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys! Ker, I did try to PM you for advice, but couldn't tell if the PM went through, then I stopped because if they HAD gone through I didn't want to be a pest!

I am still very very open to  further suggestions, especially for training, rescue orgs who can give me a realistic view of things, and anyone who might know someone in Melbourne willing to have a very cute dog mooch around them during the day.

I need to echo the others. Many would give up LONG before this stage and not try half the stuff you are - it all gets shoved into the "too hard" basket. So, Kudos to you.

I didn't receive any PM's...grrr. I'll PM you after this and see if you can use that to PM back.

Training, all I can reiterate is call Tamara. She did a seminar in Adelaide for difficult dogs, and I saw het at work. She's awesome. And she's a huge fan of the crossbreeds with problems lol. Her own dogs are poundies with problems. She may know a better rescue org that will give you an unbiased view...but most of the ones I know would PTS sad.gif It sounds mercenary, but it's not. There are just SO MANY dogs out there, perfectly healthy, stable temperament, gorgeous dogs, dying every day that they just can't afford to spend thousands of dollars and time on one that has problems. Rescues have finite funds - they don't get government help - so they have to be careful with their funds.

Most of the people I am still in contact with in Melbourne either have large, dominant dogs (which is not really what it sounds like Roo needs) or they work full time. Have you tried posting here in the Melbourne section? Can I help by putting out a call on my FB, using that photo you just posted? Or you could go into DogzOnline and put out a call, mentioning her issues and what she needs, and that you're paying. If they're on DOL they are true dog lovers.

#43 Pluto II

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi Jellyblush,  I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough time.

Just a thought, when my dogs were younger we took them to Four Paws K9 Training, their website is: http://www.fourpawsk9training.com.au.  We didn't have any problems with our dogs, we just used the training school for walking on the lead etc.  I have noticed that they have trainers who know a lot about different issues in dogs, and on their facebook page they have recently commented on separation anxiety.  Perhaps they might be able to help?
Good luck!

#44 Jelly Bee

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 22/01/2013, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried posting here in the Melbourne section? Can I help by putting out a call on my FB, using that photo you just posted? Or you could go into DogzOnline and put out a call, mentioning her issues and what she needs, and that you're paying. If they're on DOL they are true dog lovers.

Thanks Ker - will definitely be calling Tamara tomorrow.

YES PLEASE anyone can put a call out anywhere they like, using anything they like!

I came home today and Roo had gnawed a hole in her leg and was bleeding sad.gif

#45 *Ker*

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Ok, putting it out there on my FB now. If i get any bites, I will put them into contact with you.

#46 Kalota

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Have you tried the trick of ignoring her for the 15 minutes before you leave the house, and 15 minutes when you get home? It might take a while since she is in a habit of separation anxiety now, but this has worked on all of my rescue dogs, some who did similar things when we left the house.

You basically have to get them into the mind frame that when you leave the house, it is a non-event, nothing to get worked up about, in fact it is really boring. Same as when you come home - don't make it a big deal and shower your pet with love when you come home (as hard as it is!) just come in and ignore them for 15 minutes to show them that coming home and leaving the house a boring, mundane, not-a-big-deal events.

So, 15 minutes before we leave, we give our dog a toy or something to play with, then ignore them for 15 minutes and walk out of the house without "saying goodbye." When we come home and they jump all over us, we completely ignore them for 15 minutes, then have a quiet cuddle after that. I know it seems far-stretched but if you are really patient and consistent with this training it really does work. Look it up for more info!

They soon come to associate you leaving the house as something really boring and mundane!

Edited by Kalota, 23 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#47 Jelly Bee

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Kalota @ 23/01/2013, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried the trick of ignoring her for the 15 minutes before you leave the house, and 15 minutes when you get home?

Hey Kalota. Thank you - this is the kind of thing I tried when I first got her - she's had a great, great trainer for 3 years now and we started with this - which I still do religiously. We then went through the whole house leaving process, each step in the process trying to break the cue. I go to work in my street clothes that I pop to the shop in, every day, even though it's inconvenient to change at work. I jangle keys, put them down over and over ad nauseum. Get in the shower, turn it on, get straight out. For hours. Go out the front door, come straight back in. Over and over.

I don't mean to sound like I'm making light of suggestions but there is very little in the way of training tricks and uncoupling cues that I haven't tried.  This is not a case of usual separation anxiety. It is very very extreme and seems to be resistant to huge amounts of medication as well as the type of things that would normally work re. training.

I just watched the 2.5 hours of footage from today. She had two doses of Trazodone and spent the ENTIRE time jumping at the door, chewing on her own leg, and worst of all chewing the steel doorframe, breaking a tooth sad.gif  Not. One. Minute. of respite in 2.5 hours.

It broke my heart sad.gif

Ker - thanks for posting on FB. I went to see a family who were interested in having her today. They are pretty far away and we were unsure how she'd go with their cat, they are going to think it over.

I called Tamara and left two messages. Fingers crossed.

After watching that footage I feel I need to take the rest of the week off and stay with her. Problem is I'm a temp and wouldn't get paid if I did that.

Edited by Jellyblush, 23 January 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#48 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Oh Jellyblush. cry1.gif I'm so sorry. I have no advice, just buckets of sympathy. How heartbreaking for you to watch her like that. sad.gif

#49 Kalota

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Oh Jellyblush that sounds really hard sad.gif Especially exhausting all avenues!  She must be a really nervous little dog, just the way she is, poor thing! Good luck with the family you are going to be in contact with x

#50 Maple Leaf

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

She sounds like such a tormented soul.
sad.gif

It's a shame that rehoming to someone that is home 24/7 would actually increase her anxiety. Because that would be the one thing I would really want to try for her to have a happier life.
sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.