Please help me save my dog

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#51 Kalota

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Have you considered any doggy daycare options? Or will it be too costly since you are away from home quite often?

#52 Jelly Bee

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hey Kalota. I have - it is not affordable for me 5 days a week, so I have advertised for someone to have her in their home at a more reasonable price. Hopefully it works out.

#53 LouiseA1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I wish you lived in brisbane, I'd mind her for you. What a worry she is.

I have no idea what type of work you do but is taking her with you an option. If you are in an office could she just be under your desk all day and go out at lunchtime.

#54 Jelly Bee

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (LouiseA1 @ 24/01/2013, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish you lived in brisbane, I'd mind her for you. What a worry she is.

I have no idea what type of work you do but is taking her with you an option. If you are in an office could she just be under your desk all day and go out at lunchtime.

I would LOVE this! I'm a public servant unfortunately. I did ask my boss anyway, but no go.

I have friends in New York and they say nearly everybody with pets takes them to work - it sounds fantastic!

The family I saw last night called to say no, that she seemed to much work.
I am seeing a household of uni students this evening, they say between the 3 of them someone is always there. Fingers crossed.

Saw another video today. 3 hours of footage, non-stop, constant jumping at the doors and gnawing on the handles. Which are steel. So horrible sad.gif

Edited by Jellyblush, 24 January 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#55 Jelly Bee

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have just realised why all Roo does all the time when I am home is sleep .... she is exhausted, poor baby sad.gif

#56 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

bbighug.gif  bbighug.gif One for you and one for Roo.

#57 Jelly Bee

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Nawww thanks Spikey! A grin and a lick from us, you can guess whose is whose!

biggrin.gif

The uni girls were lovely. Very young, but that's why  they like the idea of 'dog-share'. We are doing a trial day Tuesday and three days a week after that if it works out!!

It doesn't solve the problem, but might be enough to break the panic cycle alongside training and new meds?

#58 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Oh Jellyblush, I'll keep all my fingers and toes crossed it works out with the Uni girls. I know I would LOVED that when I was at Uni!

#59 *Ker*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

I've got my fingers crossed for you AND Roo too! It's a shame you're not in Adelaide - I would babysit for you.

#60 Jelly Bee

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

After seeing yesterday's horror footage, and reading responses on the dogs online forum I posted her story on, I have made an appointment with her vet to discuss pts.  I already had an appointment with her behaviourist next week, I've asked her regular vet to join us, and to watch the footage and then advise.  I have not decided to go that way yet, but after seeing the film, I realise how horrible and sad her little life really is.

I am so sad.

#61 Kalota

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 25/01/2013, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't make any decisions yet.  See how she goes with the Uni Students first - they could be your answer.

I reiterate this, Jellyblush sad.gif I know it must be so hard for you, but see how she goes with the uni students. Keep the options there, but don't make any decisions yet. Many hugs, hope everything works out.

#62 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

JB,  bbighug.gif .

I know you'll make the best decision for Roo, and you have gone to incredible lengths to get the best help for her, and great advice.  bbighug.gif

#63 Psyduck

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

You have gone above and beyond what most people would do. If you choose to put her to sleep you won't have failed her.
I'm sorry you am Roo are experiencing this.
She is a beautiful girl.

#64 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Oh Jellyblush, what a heartbreaking phone call that must have been. I hope the meeting goes well and that whatever the outcome, you feel at peace with the final decision. hhugs.gif

#65 Jelly Bee

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling pretty low.

I posted on dogs online forum (thanks Ker for the tip!) and the view there seems to be that I should pts. One person said "if she was suffering as much physically as she is mentally, would you put her to sleep?" and I can't stop thinking about that, because I would.

Underdog training called me (Thanks AGAIN Ker for the tip!) and were really sympathetic but after we talked about what had already been tried, they said they were of the view that training would not assist, as stress levels that high mean it is very difficult for new learning to get through. It was a sad phone call.

I am supposed to be at a BBQ with all my friends today, except of course after I saw the videos from this week I can't leave Roo in that state to go and enjoy myself. I asked if I could take her for an hour or two, on a lead, so that I could see my friends as I feel down, and the hosts said no. They've been my closest friends for 20 years. I don't understand.

Thanks for the sympathy and for making me feel I can talk somewhere, kind, dog-loving internet strangers.

#66 Kalota

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Jellyblush @ 26/01/2013, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling pretty low.

I posted on dogs online forum (thanks Ker for the tip!) and the view there seems to be that I should pts. One person said "if she was suffering as much physically as she is mentally, would you put her to sleep?" and I can't stop thinking about that, because I would.

Underdog training called me (Thanks AGAIN Ker for the tip!) and were really sympathetic but after we talked about what had already been tried, they said they were of the view that training would not assist, as stress levels that high mean it is very difficult for new learning to get through. It was a sad phone call.

I am supposed to be at a BBQ with all my friends today, except of course after I saw the videos from this week I can't leave Roo in that state to go and enjoy myself. I asked if I could take her for an hour or two, on a lead, so that I could see my friends as I feel down, and the hosts said no. They've been my closest friends for 20 years. I don't understand.

Thanks for the sympathy and for making me feel I can talk somewhere, kind, dog-loving internet strangers.

Oh, Jellyblush sad.gif it's hard when you have friends who just don't understand what you are going through either. We used to have a very high maintenance dog and explaining is behaviour to guests was always so difficult, especially when they didn't understand why we had to turn our social lives upside down for him.

Like other PPs, we know you will make the best decision for your beloved Roo and you have really exhausted all possible solutions. Good luck with everything and know that you and Roo are in our thoughts.

#67 Chalkie

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I just read your story and have tears in my eyes - Roo is a beautiful girl.
You have gone way above and beyond 99.9% of pet owners to help her - you should feel so proud that you have done your absolute best.

Be kind to yourself.

bbighug.gif

#68 Lakey

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

TBH if she were my dog I would also be thinking about putting her to sleep. I couldn't go to work each day knowing just how distraught and anxious she was, it is no life for her.  And there are situations where you just can't take your dog everywhere with you, non dog loving friends bbq's in this case! (Unfair)
You have done absolutely everything you can to try and help her that not a lot of people would have gone to, a fantastic effort.
Our dog is our family, and I would try everything for him but I would also consider his quality of life, which I think you are thinking about.
Best of luck.

#69 *Ker*

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Jellyblush @ 26/01/2013, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did think they would recommend that. I've not had experience with severe separation anxiety, so my advice is not from a place of knowledge.

They are all true dog lovers, and all very experienced as well. I know their view is that the life Roo is having is no life for anyone and that is true.

Tamara is also exceptional and HONEST. Sure, she could take your money and "help" but she's too ethical and will tell you if she can't. I had a suspicion Roo was too far damaged.

NO, your friends don't understand. Not you. There is nothing to understand. Roo is a family member.

You have not failed her in anyway. You have gone above and beyond what many would. You have tried everything possible for her. If PTS is the only option left, that is the option you need to take, when you're ready. You have given your poor damaged little dog the best life she could possibly have, but some dogs just can't be fixed.

Meet the uni students first, but only for your own peace of mind. It MAY help, but then you will know you have exhausted every avenue. Also try the chinese herbs mentioned on DOL. It won't hurt and maybe you'll feel better if you KNOW you have tried everything. You won't be left with "what ifs".

Go gently and give Roo a cuddle from all of us.

#70 ~Jot~

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm so, so very sorry Jellyblush. As I said before I truly know what you're going through. Sometimes PTS is the best option but it doesn't break your heart any less. sad.gif

Thinking of you and Roo.

#71 unicorn

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Have you looked into the prison programs? Don't they have programs in place for prisoners to adopt a dog? They are "home" all day every day.
I have followed your story and I admire your dedication to your beautiful pooch.

#72 Holidayromp

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

How are things going for you and Roo OP?

Sometimes the kindest things we have to do are hard. Believe me I have been there.

You will know in your heart what needs to be done and only you can make the choice.  Whatever choice you make will always be right.

Roo has done very well at having you as a human companion.  You were there for her when others were not, you gave her a home and cared about her welfare.  That speaks volumes in any language.  She knows that you are there to help.  You are the best companion that a dog could have.

xo

#73 Jelly Bee

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I've kept posting here, because now I have somewhere to come for support, which I really need at the moment  sad.gif

Roo and I have been having a great long weekend going to all her favourite places. We went to Williamstown dog beach today and she had a ball playing around, yesterday we went to the creek with her other human, my ex partner, who I hadn't seen for a long time - he's a photographer and when I told him about Roo he came to do a photo shoot of us together. It was very emotional and special.

On Tuesday, I will be seeking two weeks away from work from my boss, starting after I see Roo's behaviourist on Wednesday. I'm lucky I can do this as I have lots of holidays saved up and it's very quiet.  Depending on what they say, this time will either be spent working intensively with Roo or just making sure she has a happy and wonderful couple of weeks full of all her favourite things.

I may be spoiling her a bit. I went out for breakfast this morning and ordered her her own side of bacon  blush.gif

Thank you again everyone. I've had tears rolling down my face reading some of your kind comments. I am not sure how to convey how much they have meant to me.

#74 cardamom

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Jellyblush I have nothing useful to add, but I am so very sad for you and your lovely girl  hheart.gif

#75 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

JB, you're both in my heart.

I pray for a miracle, and I also think that for Roo, you are her very own miracle. She is loved, and she knows it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.