What do YOU do with a 3yo
On a rainy day?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Domestic Goddess

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

DS has an immense amount of energy and having a rainy day is disastrous to say the least. My house is very small with a little courtyard and staying inside is not an option. Well, unless I want to be renovating straight after he's finished destructing the house.

Having lived in a very very wet country for 2 decades, I started going through my old photo albums to look for clues on what to do with DS today.
I found some photos of yours truly, dancing and jumping in muddy puddles and just digging my toes and hands in the mud pretending Im a mud monster. Ahhhh the good old days......

But can anyone remember ever having gutter races as a child? We used leaves for racing. It was the best fun DS and I have had in the rain so far biggrin.gif We live at the bottom of a hill, so the water comes rushing down pretty fast. Makes for great racing original.gif

It's great to have kids. You can do all this stuff again without people thinking you're a few cents short of a dollar  happy.gif

What was YOUR favourite old fashioned (outside) game as a child?

EDIT: Have now removed the video link for privacy reasons original.gif

Edited by Domestic Goddess, 15 January 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#2 JRA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

We didn't have gutters where I grew up - country. So no that wasn't on the list. But we did love making ships out of reeds and doing similar in rivers etc - like playing pooh sticks, but with reed boats instead of sticks.

It is 7 years since ds was 3, so I can't remember that far back.

#3 ~Jam~

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I thought you were looking for suggestions. I was going to suggest duct tape and a rope.  ph34r.gif

Your idea is much more fun, and less likely to involve DoCS  laughing2.gif

I remember splashing in the gutters as a kid too.  Although doing it on the way home from school, wearing school shoes was a guaranteed way to send Mum's blood pressure sky high!

#4 Domestic Goddess

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hahaha Im sure DS will get in heaps if trouble if he does this with school shoes too! * Makes mental note for the future*

#5 lozoodle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I used to love doing that!!!!

#6 twinboys

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

We were always outside in gumboots as a kid - so mud and puddles were fair game!

We use to always be floating things and trying to do boat races.

We lived on a pretty busy road so we couldn't play in the gutters!

I can remember building mud and clay pots using sticks and mud and then letting them dry in the sun - they were pretty good I have to admit!

Also use to make perfume with all leaves and flowers and then let it brew ...Phewwww

On rainy days we were allowed to stay inside and play board games or Lego because if it was sunny we were banned from being inside the house on weekends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.