Good suburbs close to Dandenong.

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 strawberrycakes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

We might be moving from Brisbane to Melbourne for DH's work.  

Wanting to know suggestions for good family suburbs close to Dandenong with reasonable rent prices no more than mid 400's per week.

Thanks

#2 MegzG

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

mine and DH's parents have lived in Endeavour Hills for 30+ years- both own there homes so no idea on rent sorry.
i'm in berwick which i think would be a bit pricier.

#3 creepycookie

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

You would get a decent house around Rowville for that price, or a nicer house around Narre Warren  or Berwick which are newer suburbs with lots of young families and a little bit cheaper. I would avoid Dandenong itself, but that's just me original.gif

#4 Carmen02

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I live in noble park and we pay $350 a week for a large 3 bedroom home. Nice area family friendly. Lived in this area almost all my life, keysborough is a nice family area. I would avoid dandenong itself. My DH works in dandenong.

Edited by Carmen02, 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#5 Fossy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I would look north around Rowville, Knox, Wheelers Hill, Mulgrave, or south west around Aspendale, Mentone, Mordialloc, Chelsea etc

Suburbs to avoid - Dandenong, Noble Park, Hallam, Springvale, Cranbourne, Lynbrook etc Pretty much anything surrounding dandenong or south east of it.  It is very low socio economic area, high crime, and lots of drug abuse.  I work in the area and it's pretty scary.

#6 SylviaPlath

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I personally would not live anywhere in the South Eastern suburbs BUT since you asked...

A friend of mine recently bought a house in Dingley Village. Keeps telling me how nice, safe, close to amenities etc. She absolutely loves it there. She moved from Endeavour Hills, which she also liked too but apparently Dingley Village is the "it" place and in her budget.

I wouldn't live in Dandenong, Hallam or Hampton Park. There is high level of unemployment, crime (Dandenong specifically) and there is always stories in the newspaper about people getting robbed/beaten up etc.

#7 statua angelam

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

It depends what you want, really.  I'm in Springvale, and we were advised this week that our house would fetch about $310 a week in rent (we're looking to use it as an investment property).  Now, our house is small, so a bigger house would obviously be more.

Why Dandenong?  Is that where your DH will be working?

#8 Carmen02

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Fossy @ 15/01/2013, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would look north around Rowville, Knox, Wheelers Hill, Mulgrave, or south west around Aspendale, Mentone, Mordialloc, Chelsea etc

Suburbs to avoid - Dandenong, Noble Park, Hallam, Springvale, Cranbourne, Lynbrook etc Pretty much anything surrounding dandenong or south east of it.  It is very low socio economic area, high crime, and lots of drug abuse.  I work in the area and it's pretty scary.

I disagree...where I live it isn't low socio economic and there isn't high crime either.

#9 julzely

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

How old are you kids and how many?  If they are in High School I would look at renting somewhere where you will be in zone for a good public school which might be different to some where that is great for younger kids, but there are not great high schools.

Also how big a house do you want.  Are you expecting $400 to get a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom 2 living area place, or 3 bedroom 1 bathroom 1 living area.  This will also affect the areas people suggest

#10 strawberrycakes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Why Dandenong? Is that where your DH will be working?
Yes DH would be working in Dandenong.  He is willing to travel around 20 - 30 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated.

#11 strawberrycakes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

How old are you kids and how many?
1 child 5 years old so in primary school.

Also how big a house do you want
.  Would like 3 - 4 bedrooms & preferably something with an ensuite but 1 bathroom would be fine.  Two living areas would be nice but 1 is fine.

#12 Fossy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree Carmen. Noble Park, dandeonng, springvale, hallam etc are frightening.  We attend so many violent assaults, drug overdoses and nasty domestic violence jobs.  My friend teaches at the p - 12 school in Noble Park and sees the consequences the environment has on the children, so sad  sad.gif

#13 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Some relatives of mine live in Cranbourne and it is lovely. In quite a new estate though. Never heard anything about a high crime rate or drug abuse!

Narre Warren is really nice, I have some relatives there too.

#14 Fossy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

You could get a nice house in or around Rowville with 4 bedrooms for your budget OP.  Beachside might be a stretch.

#15 Carmen02

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Fossy I must be blind then I've lived in the area almost all my life and now dealing with my kids in school and there of course is crime but not that bad..noble park north I'm guessing your talking about its the only p-12 school I can think of..noble park itself is nice.

#16 statua angelam

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think it depends where in those suburbs you are.  Right next to Springvale station, for example, yes, I agree.  But where I am (technically Springvale South), a good half-hour walk away on a quiet side street - you'd never see any of that.  Mostly our neighbours seem to be decent, quiet and hard working.

I grant you there are a lot of new migrants, people with poor English, and clearly some with not oodles of money.  But on the whole I feel safe where I live.  I certainly don't think you need to go somewhere as far (or as expensive!) as Mentone to be in an ok area.  

Even if the OP chose Westall, at least that would still be on the same train line as Dandenong (parking in Dandenong can be nasty).

#17 CleverChook

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'd look around the Glen Waverley area. ( Admittedly I haven't lived in Vic in over a decade!)

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I probably wouldn't settle for any suburb in the city of Dandenong, I would look at Dingly Village, Aspendale Gardens, & Patterson Lakes they should get you to Dandy within 20 - 30 mins.  Mentone, Mordie would be at least 30 mins and you would have to go with all the traffic going to Braeside whereas the other 3 you will be going against that traffic.  You would also struggle to find a house in Mentone for that rent, you would get one but it  would be a 3 bed 1 bathroom maybe not even garage.  At that price you would get something in Dingly (it could be dated) or Aspendle (newer area so newer house) and Patterson Lakes (again it may be dated) If you were happy for a townhouse Patterson Lakes would offer the best value for money (as long as you were not on the lake) The main issue with Patterson Lakes, Aspendale Gardens and also Dingly is that the public transport is only buses there are no train lines.

#19 Fossy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Yeah it's amazing what goes on behind closed doors Carmen.  

I was just giving my recommendations to the OP, it's hard moving to a new area, sure there might be nice areas but there are more bad than good I'm afraid.  Safer to avoid if possible.  I could give a list of entire streets police won't even attend without backup, that to me is a suburb I'd want to avoid.

#20 Carabosse

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

With the 'tollway' going right by Dandenong your options are really open and not confined to the Sth East. My DH works in Dandenong but we are in the North Eastern suburbs. It is against the peak traffic along the freeway so anywhere with easy access to the 'motorway' in the east/north east is also an option. Unless your DH wants to catch public transport to work.

Edited by Carabosse, 15 January 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#21 libbylu

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Glen Waverley and Mount Waverley are nice suburbs about 15 - 20 minutes away, with some excellent schools.  Not sure about house prices though.
I would definitely check out schools as they can be quite variable in some of the areas mentioned.

i.e.
http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Rent...y/?adid=8065421

Edited by libbylu, 15 January 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#22 Carmen02

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

rolleyes.gif

OP I can recommend a fantastic primary school, they have done amazing things for my older 2

Edited by Carmen02, 15 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#23 Chazonator

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I prob wouldnt do noble park either I used to live in Keysie and that's not too bad but i've heard noble has gotten worse and now has police manned at the station. Cranbourne isnt too bad although after going through the area near Merinda Station recently i'm not a big fan unless it's in the newer estates.
Mulgrave and Waverley Gdns area ok, Dingley is nice, I wouldn't go dandenong central maybe the areas around it might be ok?, Narre Warren is another option they have a massive shopping complex out there and i've found the area just above the monash really nice.
Mentone and down along the bayside area towards frankston is also nice I enjoy it along here.

#24 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

OP also one thing to think about is schools, we had an area we could of afforded to build in but call me a snob if I could help it I wanted my children to not be going to school with some of the kids that I saw when going for inspections (we also looked at a couple of houses in the area) or driving around to see friends.  It sounds horrible I know and I sound like a total snob but meh.  When you drive around durning the day and it looks like every day is hard rubbish collection you do a u-turn quick out of there.

OP if I was moving from interstate I would like a nice suburb, I really only know the south east that is the areas/cities of Kingston, Casey, Dandy, and Bayside.  I have family in Roweville but no idea about the price of rents - this is somewhere I would go as it is a nice suburb but I personally wouldn't go as it is too hilly for me and too far away from the beach.

QUOTE (erindiv @ 15/01/2013, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some relatives of mine live in Cranbourne and it is lovely. In quite a new estate though. Never heard anything about a high crime rate or drug abuse!

Narre Warren is really nice, I have some relatives there too.

I am sorry I really have to laugh, Cranbourne is known for its high crime rate and drug abuse! Narre is also in the past been lower socio area (not sure if it is still classed as that but the suburb of Narre Warren is still considered cheap IMO and many others for rents and buying, Narre North is a different kettle of fish) both narre and cranny could be referred to bogan areas and make regular apparences on Sam's Footy show segment.  My DH spent most of his teenage and 20's (when not living in Qld) in Narre he was not keen on staying there and bringing our kids up. Even if it did mean he could walk home from the Halam pub!

#25 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

MrsLexiK, just repeating what my relatives have told me of the area, I'm miles away from there in central north Victoria myself.

The others live in Narre Warren East, I can assure you their place was not 'cheap' and they are not 'bogan'. I know nothing about other parts of Narre Warren.

Edited by erindiv, 15 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.