Discoid Meniscus
DD needs surgery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Just3ofus

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Daughter has just been diagnosed with this & wondering if anyone else child has had surgery & how the recovery etc was for them.

This has been paining DD(11yrs) for a few months, initially went through physio to ending up seeing an ortho surgeon who we just got the results for her MRI done xmas week.

TIA original.gif

#2 Jayla

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi, how did your DD go?  Did she have the surgery?  My DD (7 1/2 years) has just been diagnosed with this.  She has a tear in her meniscus but it isn't giving her a lot of pain at the moment so it's been left up to us to decide whether she has the surgery or not.

#3 Just3ofus

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hi,
Surgery was done in february.

I would hold off surgery until it's needed, It's a big thing to go through. My DD had one week off school. Her knee once healed has not caused any problems since.

Any other q's just pm me :smile:

#4 Jayla

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

#5 KT1978

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

How bad is the pain?

I remember when I was around 12 having problems with my knee, the doc saying something about the meniscus (I'd have to ask mum!).I did lots of skiing, high jump and grew very fast around this time...but it must have healed ok by itself because it's not a problem now.  Not sure but I'd be asking if it can heal naturally over time...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.