Complaint to the Health Services Commissioner
Have you made one?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FluffyOscar

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm considering making a complaint about a medical professional.

Has anyone ever made a complaint before? If so, could you please tell me what happened? Did/do you feel like your complaint was heard? Did/do you feel that the health professional changed their way of working? Any negatives to the experience? For example, did/do you feel that you were "blacklisted" by other medical professionals?

Because this is EB I feel I need to say that this is a serious issue, not about the tone of a medical receptionist or whether or not a GP looked in my ears.

#2 Maple Leaf

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I will be following your thread.

I complained about a GP to the practice and the GP wouldn't acknowledge what they did so went nowhere with that.

Really didn't think about (or have the energy) for going higher but will see what others say.

Good luck with complaint.

#3 lucky 2

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

What about making the complaint to AHPRA, wouldn't that be the best place to take your concern, to the registering body. I suspect the Commissioner will send you back to AHPRA as a starting point.
All the best.

#4 FluffyOscar

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 15/01/2013, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about making the complaint to AHPRA, wouldn't that be the best place to take your concern, to the registering body. I suspect the Commissioner will send you back to AHPRA as a starting point.
All the best.

Thanks for that. It seems AHPRA is the National body, and the Health Commissioner is Victoria's State body.

There are three areas that a person can make a "notification" about through AHPRA: conduct, health or performance.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

If you feel your complaint wont be actioned at a hospital or practise level then I think I would be making a complaint to both if warranted.

I guess your next step to to work out what they did / said that was negligent; what was the consequences of this action(s) and what outcome you want.  

You would need to detail all this in your complaint.

I've never complained medically, but I have always found that trying to keep it factual (not emotional) as possible when describing the event(s) helps.

I think if there were serious health consequences then when talking about those you can put more of a victims impact statement slant on that.

Good luck and I hope you get the resolution you want

#6 noi'mnot

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think you're meant to try to resolve the complaint with the service provider first. Of course, depending on the situation, sometimes this might not be possible. For example, a hospital generally has a clear complaints system but a GP practice might just ignore or not address complaints, as mentioned by a PP.

Anyway, I've never tried before myself but have supported clients to do so. They've generally received satisfactory results from a response from the service provider through this means.

I'm sorry that you've had a negative experience with a health professional, and I hope that you can get it sorted out asap.

#7 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I made a complaint once but the doctor just denied that she did what I said she did. That was the end of it.

She ended up getting investigated for something else not long ago, but she's practising again so I guess nothing came of it, despite the fact someone died.

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I complained about a gynaecologist many years ago. To be honest, I didn't feel that I got a satisfactory response. I got a cursory apology and an acknowledgement that he had done the wrong thing (he didn't give me some test results for a pap smear that could have led to cervical cancer had it not been picked up by another doctor). Although he did admit that he was in the wrong, nothing else was done, he received no proessional censure that I am aware of. I was young at the time and his attitude was very superior and I still think to this day he thought he was in the right not giving me the information as apparently I was 'fragile' due to another diagnosis I had already received which conincided with the cervical problem. I don't feel that I was 'black listed' by any doctors as a result. I should have pushed harder, but again, I was young, I was treated poorly and I was left feeling like I was in the wrong for daring to complain about a medical professional.

If it happened now hell would freeze over before I would accept a simple apology for what was a doctor failing in their duty of care.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.