Tips for cooking with Stainless Steel
Anyone got any?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 noi'mnot

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I bought a new stainless steel saute pan with some Christmas money. It's big - 32cm - and quite deep. I'm really enjoying cooking with it.

I used to have similar in non-stick, but got a bit freaked out by the non-stick coming off. The stainless steel was a bit of a whim, but I am enjoying working with it. It has taken a bit of getting used to the different way that it reacts to heat, but I'm particularly appreciating being able to use higher temperatures, and putting it in the dishwasher! I've also figured out how to clean it when something burns, I have found bicarb soda gets anything off super easily.

Anyway, I was just wondering - how does everybody else use their stainless steel? How does it go with more delicate things - I didn't think I'd be able to do pancakes or fish in it when I bought it, but has anybody had success with these things? What else is it wonderful for, and what are its limitations?

Thanks! original.gif

#2 9ferals

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

We bought All-Clad pans last year and love them.
I've cooked all kinds of things in them and haven't found anything that's a problem so far. I do use more oil in them (compared to non-stick - not surprising!), but that doesn't worry me.
I've cooked fish, fritters, meatballs, steaks, omelettes, lots of chicken dishes, casseroles etc. No problem.

They heat up pretty fast, so I've learnt to pay attention to how high the gas burner is (which is a problem with my crummy stove not the pans).  

The main thing I've learnt is not to panic if they go really brown on the bottom while I'm cooking, adding in some hot water while they're hot makes them so easy to clean.

For any marks that don't come off with regular washing I use Barkeeper's Friend, it's magic.

#3 noi'mnot

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Ace, that's fantastic! Yes, I find that it heats up to very very hot, very very quickly (although it has quite a thick base). I'm just worried about things like fish sticking all over the place and falling apart.

Likewise, with my gas stove, I've found it a bit of an adjustment getting used to how the temperature is different. I think I will try some fish in the next couple of days, but I'll use a lower heat and see if that prevents the sticking and falling apart.

It would be ace if I could do pancakes/pikelets, with that surface area I'd get so many done at once! I'm just not quite game yet.

I'll take a look at barkeeper's friend if I ever have any problems with bicarb. It's getting all sorts of black marks off at the moment, but I'm sure I'll manage a doozy of a burn at some point and need something stronger! original.gif

#4 AnotherFeral

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I use cast iron for most things, but I've found my stainless steel pan is really good for pikelets!
A trick I discovered accidentally is to preheat the pan really hot then turn it down to the desired temperature before cooking. It just seems to cook much more evenly if I do this.

#5 noi'mnot

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Aha, that's really helpful, thanks Ariataw! I might give it a go this weekend. If worst comes to worst I'll just have a bigger crusty clean-up than usual, right? original.gif

#6 Chelara

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

It's fine for fish but you need to get the temp and oil levels right. I often make fish in mine and its fine.

You will need to use more oil with it and yeah sometimes it will stick but I cook meatballs, rissoles, spaghetti sauce, schnitzel pork chops, sausages etc in it without too much trouble. I prefer cast iron or the BBQ for steak.

Oh and it's great to clean. Just add water and a little washing liquid and soak. You can heat the soaking water for a quicker job.

Edited by Chelara, 16 January 2013 - 07:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.