Nurses or midwives: has your employer ever stuffed up your hours worked and pay grade?
Posted here for more traffic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mianta

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I have been working in my current job for around 6 months. Before that, I worked with the same employer, different health district for 7 months, permanent part time. I also worked for them on the casual pool for about 9 months before that. Prior to this I worked in the private health system, with the one employer for around 4 years.

The private company were able to keep track of my hours perfectly, raising my pay grade as necessary. My current employer, being the public health system, cannot keep track at all.  So far, they have miscalculated the hours in my current position, to about half of what I have really done and completely forgotten to add my hours as a casual to my tally. It's so frustrating!

Has anyone had this happen and what did you need to do, short of going into the "health support services" office to correct the mistake yourself? Their office is in Newcastle, around 600 ks from here, so I can't go in.  If it happened to you, did they back pay you without too much trouble? By my calculations, my pay grade should have gone up around 6 months ago.

TIA

Edited by Mianta, 15 January 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#2 melaine

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I work in a public hospital in Victoria and have done so for 13 years across multiple networks and hospitals including acting up grades, having secondments involving being paid different grades for different days etc.

There's been the occasional teething issue when I've started new jobs - making sure they have the same anniversary date etc so that my pay grade changes at the right time (I had to get a certificate of service at one point to prove my grade) but overall, no, no significant issues involving not being paid for casual work etc.  

Good luck getting it sorted. Can't you call them? I've usually sorted it out on the phone or email as I'm often on a different site to pay office.

Eta - yes, I did get back paid when they gave me the wrong pay grade.

Edited by melaine, 15 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#3 Mianta

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have called them and they go between being useless, confused, rude or saying they have fixed the problem and they haven't.

Was just wondering if there was another channel I could work through. I guess I should get my NUM involved as well. They have also stuffed up my continuous service date mad.gif

#4 papilio

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

You can speak to Fair Work Australia.  

I totally sympathise.  I'm not a nurse, but I know people who have been with an employer for over 6 months now and not been paid correctly once.  I also know someone who was overpaid $2000.  I've been overpaid and underpaid, though more of the latter!

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Was very lucky, I guess it depends on the employer but in over 30 years maybe once or twice.
I would be angry too.

#6 Elemental

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I work for the Qld public health sector (you may have heard about our charming payroll debacle). I have had a lot of issues in the last few years with incorrect pay scales/no overtime/no pay/incorrect pay. First port of call is usually your line manager, and if that doesn't help, then calling payroll directly. Your manager should be able to tell you who to speak with on that front.

My main advice is to keep accurate records of all hours worked and dates so that you can compare to your payslips and any official documentation.

Good luck!

#7 Shellby

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

My Dh works for a NSW public hospital and yes sometimes his pay is stuffed up - and his start date seems to move all the time so they don't roll over his sick pay - very annoying.

However most of those issues happened with his old NUM who was a pain for everything anyway - his new NUM is great and any pay issues he just has to go to the NUM as they are the ones who input your hours and what you should be paid etc and its all fixed.

So I would be going to your NUM as they will have direct access to the pay software and see what has happened as well as bat for you.

#8 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yep. This went on for 9 months with me ringing everyday for the lat 5 months. Finally I went to the union and they sorted it out. My poor NUM had done everything right though so we were not sure why I was being paid as a permanent employee when I ws casual, turns out that the DDON had put in the computer that I had signed a contract that I hadn't. Luckily I had kept a copy of the contract which I had signed to say I wouldn't be accepting the position.

I had a great payout after 9 months  biggrin.gif

#9 TTC2013

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Public health system still owes me 6 months of a higher pay grade.. I've almost given up asking for it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.