40th Birthday Present for DH

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Poss and Soss

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Apologies not sure where to put this.

Need ideas for DH's 40th birthday pressie in a few weeks. I'm usually good at gifts but this time am drawing a blank.

#2 PurpleWitch

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

A fish.

#3 elmo_mum

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

- 40 small items
- a photo of you and the kidlets?
- a weekend away - just you 2
is he sporting person?

#4 JustBeige

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (PurpleWitch @ 15/01/2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A fish.

laughing2.gif

I got DH a frying pan once.  He was being painful and I kept telling him I was going to whack him with one, so I got him a new one.

Does he have any hobbies OP?

#5 vanessa71

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I bought DH a pair of Hermès cufflinks for his 40th, but they're not to everyone's taste.

#6 knittingkitten

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

What's your budget...what does he like?

My Dh would be happy with some amazing red wines to drink or cellar. His 40th was a trip to Fiji for the family.

#7 cattivo lupo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Red balloon?  I gave DH a parasailing adventure over Sydney Harbour for his 40th, it was tandem and just fabulous.  He also got 2 introductory flying lessons which he loved.

#8 daturah

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I turned up to my DH's place (we were still 'dating' then) wearing a specially-bought corset, stockings and high heels with a coat over the top, carrying a cake I baked that day. He says it was the best birthday present he's ever had.

#9 Poss and Soss

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (elmo_mum @ 15/01/2013, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is he sporting person?

NO sad.gif

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 15/01/2013, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does he have any hobbies OP?

Not really. He likes Dr Who. And cycling although it's been a few years.

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 15/01/2013, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought DH a pair of Hermès cufflinks for his 40th, but they're not to everyone's taste.

Nice! DH doesn't wear cuffed shirts though sad.gif

QUOTE (knittingkitten @ 15/01/2013, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's your budget...

Have been saving for ages so budget is not too much of a worry. Up to $2,000?

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 15/01/2013, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A holiday

That part is already organised.

QUOTE (daturah @ 15/01/2013, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I turned up to my DH's place (we were still 'dating' then) wearing a specially-bought corset, stockings and high heels with a coat over the top, carrying a cake I baked that day. He says it was the best birthday present he's ever had.

A hot night is a given! Thought I'd give him something else too.

Really struggling with it. Appreciate all ideas.

#10 namie

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

My DP would be happy with books, lol! Particularly any that complete annoying, unfinished series'.

A holiday, a hot night with me in skimpy, sexy lingerie and some new books would make it the best darn birthday ever!

And he'd have to be happy with that (his is in a few months) because I have no other ideas either. I do like the idea of 40 small gifts - could be things from thinkgeek.com? There may be some Dr Who stuff to get from somewhere? Favourite snack foods/treats? Maybe you could put together a hamper of all his favourite goodies?

#11 Toodee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

My DH is about to turn 30 and I got him a watch (which he already suspects so I am also going to get him mats for his new car to give him first to try and throw him off the scent of the real present)

#12 HollyDocker

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I am giving my DH a holiday without us, to indulge his interests, which are all pretty kid-unfriendly, and time consuming, so he doesn't often get to do them. Maybe a hunting trip, or a bush survival course, or a long scuba diving trip. Along with that some sort of a keep sake, maybe some new cuff links or something. I think he would also love an iPad or similar.

#13 CountryFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Poss and Soss @ 15/01/2013, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He likes Dr Who.

Well then a bow tie.. bow ties are cool....!

#14 *dreamer*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

I gave my DH a book of art up tied up with a bow and told him his present was a piece of art of his choosing up to a ballpark figure.  It took him 7 months to find the one he wanted, but he loved hunting for it and it now hangs proudly in our dining room.  I wanted him to have something that we would have forever.

For his 50th - meh I'm out of ideas.  biggrin.gif

#15 iavy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

My nerd DH was 40 last week and I got him a telescope. He loves it so much......

#16 OscarAndTilly

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

My hubby went skydiving.

#17 mindy05

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

For Dh's 40th I bought him a Scalectrix car race track. He never had anything like it as a kid. For his 50th, he said he wanted a silver cross. I bought one for him in white gold.

Edited by mindy05, 16 January 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

For my brother's 40th, my sister and I bought him 10 laps in a lamborghini (sp??).  He loved it.  He'd never buy that for himself, but loved the opportunity - as he said, once in a lifetime thing.

For BIL's 40th, I bought him a whole bunch of retro stuff - a retro cassette cover for his iPhone, some vinyl record coasters, etc.  He's into retro.  Anything that reminds him of his childhood.  rolleyes.gif

Dr Who gifts - like this and this

Experience birthday gifts usually go down well - like from RedBalloon or Adrenalin

It will be the thought that counts, not the price tag.

#19 Poss and Soss

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Books are out as he likes to use his iPad and I wanted to get him something to keep.

Got him a watch for his 35 and he can't wear it at work anyway.

He's already booked on a holiday without kids.

He doesn't like clutter and wouldn't wear a themed shirt so DW merchandise is out.

I like the art idea but shudder to think what he'd pick!

Skydiving or car driving or other experiences like that is not his thing.

He has a telescope.

See? He is the world's hardest guy to buy for wacko.gif

Only thing I can think of is cooking lessons as he likes to cook.

#20 hjv

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Do the cooking lessons then! (as a keen cook I would love something like that)  There are places where you can do a whole weekend of lessons and stay over as well.  Or you could give him a magazine subscription to a cooking mag.

I was also going to suggest a really nice bottle of something that he would never buy for himself eg whiskey.  There are a couple of really nice Tasmanian ones which rank among the top in the world.  Or you can buy wines etc from the year that he was born in (forget where but google will help!)

Good luck choosing

#21 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

A home brew kit.

A new BBQ.

A new bike.

#22 Tiamo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

What about a beautiful French style copper sauce pan?  A good medium sized one costs about $700.  Maybe even with cooking lessons.

#23 CountryFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Poss and Soss @ 16/01/2013, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only thing I can think of is cooking lessons as he likes to cook.

My friend an I were in Thailand (Chiang Mai) when an unseasonal burst of rain set in for 4 days - on the spur of the moment we booked ourselves in for Thai Cooking classes.  Awesome!  Truly awesome!

I think cooking classes, in a cheap to visit country, with you, would be a great present!

#24 FiveAus

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

A puppy. A beautifully bred pedigree puppy. A friend for him for the next 10-15 years.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.