Relocating to Melbourne from Sydney
Suburb/school recommendations needed

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Kreme

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

We will be relocating to Melbourne in a couple of months for DH to take a new job.
DD will be in Year 1 this year and DS is starting FYOS.
We will be looking to rent initially and our budget is around $800-$1000 per week. We are looking for 3-4 bedrooms, 2  living areas, 2 bathrooms and a backyard
Being in the catchment area for a good primary school is very important to us and ideally we'd like to be located less than 30 mins from the CBD via public transport.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for suburbs and information about schools.

Thanks!

#2 Wyn99

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Edited by Wyn99, 15 January 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#3 Wyn99

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Oops sorry misread yr post & can't edit my previous post.

#4 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Ivanhoe, East Ivanhoe, Eaglemont, Glen Iris, Surrey Hills, Mont Albert, Camberwell, Balwyn (no train station), Hawthorn, Kew, Hawthorn East, Canterbury, Malvern off the top of my head.

Edited by yabbadabbadoo, 15 January 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#5 starsg

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

for that budget you could rent a great place in Melbourne. A few questions-are you looking for somewhere that's a very 'family' suburb? or is something a bit more inner city ok? Are you into galleries, great restaurants, funky shops etc, or more looking for something suburban?

Clifton Hill/Fitzroy North are about 10 minutes drive from the cbd but have great schools, parks (Edinburgh Gardens are beautiful) and a real community feel. Further out there's Ivanhoe which is still pretty close to the city but a more suburban feel, probably more families. Northcote is also well worth a look, great restaurants and shops but still good schools and again a good community feel.

South of the Yarra tends to be more slightly more expensive than north, but is still very funky- South Yarra, Malvern, Prahran, Windsor would all be worth looking into.

Edited to add: are you looking at private or public schools? if you're going private, Hawthorn or Kew is where it's at original.gif

For your budget you should have no problem getting something lovely close to the city!

Edited by starsg, 15 January 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#6 Kreme

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (starsg @ 16/01/2013, 12:48 AM)
15241725[/url]']
for that budget you could rent a great place in Melbourne. A few questions-are you looking for somewhere that's a very 'family' suburb? or is something a bit more inner city ok? Are you into galleries, great restaurants, funky shops etc, or more looking for something suburban?

Clifton Hill/Fitzroy North are about 10 minutes drive from the cbd but have great schools, parks (Edinburgh Gardens are beautiful) and a real community feel. Further out there's Ivanhoe which is still pretty close to the city but a more suburban feel, probably more families. Northcote is also well worth a look, great restaurants and shops but still good schools and again a good community feel.

South of the Yarra tends to be more slightly more expensive than north, but is still very funky- South Yarra, Malvern, Prahran, Windsor would all be worth looking into.

Edited to add: are you looking at private or public schools? if you're going private, Hawthorn or Kew is where it's at original.gif

For your budget you should have no problem getting something lovely close to the city!

Thanks for the response! We are looking for a more family suburb, but we'd rather have a slightly smaller house in a good location than go for a big house further out. For primary school we want a public school, definitely.

Off to google some of the suburbs you've mentioned, thanks again  original.gif

#7 lucky 2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

That's an awesome budget for a rental, you'll have lots of choice. I'm looking for a rental 1/2 that budget and I'll still find something pretty good!

#8 Mumma3

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'd also suggest looking bayside - Hampton, Sandringham - zone 2 trains to city about 30 minutes, and great schools as well. You might even find something in Brighton or Gardenvale  still  close to the bay, but a little more expensive but zone 1 and again, great schools.

It is probably worth looking at the public transport map. - Zone 1 is a lot cheaper transport than zone 2.

Melbourne train map

With that budget though, you will find something very nice, I think

#9 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

A couple of words of advice as someone  who has moved from Sydney to Melbourne.  You have to have central heating, be it ducted or hydronic.  This shouldn't be a problem in your budget.  Also, we have found that the rental prices are not always comparative to the purchase price.  Rent is a lot cheaper comparitively.  Just because you can afford to rent somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to afford to buy.  Again, maybe not a huge issue in your budget, but if I were you I would look at some sale prices just for future reference, should it be a long term thing.  Bear in mind the market is very flat here at the moment, so be prepared for possible higher prices.  Last but not least, as much as it seems forever away, please at least have a brief look at secondary school options ..  

Where in Sydney are you moving from? PM me if you like, I may be able to give some comparitive suburbs.

#10 skylark

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Elwood Primary has an excellent reputation (one of those schools people move into the catchment to go to), Elwood is a lovely suburb too. We lived there and sent our son to that school last year in FYOS and I highly recommend the area, the school has a very strong sense of community. Houses do tend to be smaller than you may be used to as it is a more inner suburban area (although it doesn't have the grunge factor of St Kilda etc).

All those leafy areas like Malvern, Hawthorn & Camberwell would probably suit.

#11 Charli73

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

For that money look at Ivanhoe East, Kew, Mont Albert, Balwyn North..

Very close to the city and great schools..

#12 Kreme

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (yabbadabbadoo @ 16/01/2013, 10:04 PM)
15244450[/url]']
A couple of words of advice as someone  who has moved from Sydney to Melbourne.  You have to have central heating, be it ducted or hydronic.  This shouldn't be a problem in your budget.  Also, we have found that the rental prices are not always comparative to the purchase price.  Rent is a lot cheaper comparitively.  Just because you can afford to rent somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to afford to buy.  Again, maybe not a huge issue in your budget, but if I were you I would look at some sale prices just for future reference, should it be a long term thing.  Bear in mind the market is very flat here at the moment, so be prepared for possible higher prices.  Last but not least, as much as it seems forever away, please at least have a brief look at secondary school options ..  

Where in Sydney are you moving from? PM me if you like, I may be able to give some comparitive suburbs.

Thank you for the that advice. We have central heating in Sydney so we will absolutely have it in Melbourne  laugh.gif
The advice about purchase prices is fantastic. That is absolutely something we will consider as we don't want to have to move drastically within Melbourne if we decide to buy.
In Sydney we are in Lane Cove, which we love. Would love to hear your opinions on comparable suburbs.

#13 Life'sJuggle

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

It is probably not PC to ask but do you prefer a politically left or right leaning suburb.  I have a definite preference and it influences how I feel about my sense of community.  Sorry I am not familiar with Lane Cove (this might have given me a clue so I didn't have to ask!).
North and West of the city are usually more left leaning and south and East more right.  Speaking in generalities of course.  I myself am decidedly an inner north girl and if I had your budget I would be looking for one of the larger homes in North Fitzroy, Northcote, Fairfield or Clifton Hill. But that is me!

#14 Kreme

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (kdzf @ 16/01/2013, 10:31 PM)
15244547[/url]']
It is probably not PC to ask but do you prefer a politically left or right leaning suburb.  I have a definite preference and it influences how I feel about my sense of community.  Sorry I am not familiar with Lane Cove (this might have given me a clue so I didn't have to ask!).
North and West of the city are usually more left leaning and south and East more right.  Speaking in generalities of course.  I myself am decidedly an inner north girl and if I had your budget I would be looking for one of the larger homes in North Fitzroy, Northcote, Fairfield or Clifton Hill. But that is me!

Lane Cove is on Sydney's north shore and is typically a safe Liberal seat. We are actually left leaning ourselves but we feel very happy here. Prior to this we lived in Sydney's left heartland of the inner west. So I guess we are fairly adaptable original.gif
I don't think we would be comfortable in the wealthiest suburbs but we also want a bit more room to move than can be found in the inner suburbs (so a backyard, not a courtyard). I've lived in Sydney all my adult life so I know where I fit and where I don't. It's hard to work this out for a new city in a short space of time. So I appreciate all the information!

#15 andieinvic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hi if you love Lane Cove I'd agree with the leafy Eastern suburbs - Camberwell, Hawthorn, Mont Albert. Nice and green, great schools, very family friendly and on one of the most efficient train lines. Very established affluent areas, quite like the North Shore.
Having said that do also check out the Elwood/bayside area which is also a great pick. Probably a bit more vibrant and up and coming feel here in parts.
All the best with it.

#16 lucky 2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I could imagine it's a hard decision, as someone who has rented in many areas of Melbourne over the past 30+years I find I always settle to where I am living whatever the location.
I'm pretty happy in the East now with it's hills and looking at the Dandenongs, very leafy. I was in the South East and it was fine, just no hills. I could access the beach but I didn't much, mainly for bike rides.
Inner north was vibrant.
When I was younger I liked the areas close to interesting night life but leafy and spacious suits better now.

#17 HatLover

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Bentleigh, McKinnon, Ormond areas are really family friendly and have lots of great schools/kinder/childcare options.  Good public transport and the "cafe scene" is on the way up.  Easy trip to the city and also beaches.

#18 Stinkermouse

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I moved from Sydney last year to Melbourne and after a day by myself driving around from East to Bayside and back again.  I settled on Surrey Hills.  We are paying $850pw for a lovely house.

The areas mentioned like Glen Iris, Ashburton, Camberwell, Hawthorn, Kew, Surrey hills, Canterbury etc are all very family friendly with great parks and playgrounds, lots of local good cafes.  There are plenty of preschools and great primary schools.

The transport is great for trains and trams and we are only a 24 min drive into the CBD which even I find easy to do.  I would definitely recommend getting a sat nav though it has been great.

The bayside with the exception of Brighton's main street is very much like Manly, Dee Why and I'm a little bit partial to gorgeous tree lined streets which is why we decided on the East.

#19 noi'mnot

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'd highly recommend Northcote/Fairfield. These areas have been highly gentrified recently, are very very family friendly, very close to the CBD but with great sized blocks (unless, of course, it's a subdivision). They're traditionally quite left-leaning suburbs, and whilst the gentrification has diversified this a bit they've retained a lot of that feel. Initially I would have suggested Kensington, North Melbourne and Clifton Hill which are great but the land sizes are significantly smaller. You might also be interested in Brunswick.

#20 Anne of The Island

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

We moved from Sydney to Melbourne 2 years ago (for 2 years but that's another story).  We had a very similar wishlist to you.  We lived on the Northern Beaches in Sydney and thought we'd go Bayside but decided the commute was too long once you factor in waiting for trains and the walk to & from station - the journey is 30 mins not the whole commute.  I disagree with a pp who said the bayside suburbs are like Manly & Dee Why - very different, in our opinion, and an other reason we decided not to live there.

However, like the pp, we settled in the Eastern Suburbs - we are on the border of Canterbury & Surrey Hills.  Our eldest is at Chatham Primary in Surrey Hills and we are very happy.  Our youngest is at Canterbury & District Kindergarten  in Surrey Hills & he loves it.  The school & the kinder are a short walk from our house, which is great!

We still own our house in Sydney and are renting it out.  We are now facing the decision of whether to return to Sydney or stay in Melbourne.  If we stay in Melbs, we will buy, but this area is expensive so would mean we would defrinitely have to sell up in Sydney.  We wanted to avoid this, if possible, in acse we ever neeeded to return.  Had we chosen an area where housing is cheaper we could probably have bought & kept our place in Sydney so kicking ourselves a little (only a little though, as we have loved it here).

Good luck!

Edited to second the proposal for a Sat Nav - my lifesaver, I would be lost without it!

Edited by emmaellis, 18 January 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Edited by IsolaBella, 15 June 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#22 katpaws

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Williamstown is also very nice, as is Seddon and Yarraville. Yarraville is ten minutes from the city and has good transport to the city. Some great cafes and it has an art deco cinema. Lots of schools in the area but probably less choice with high schools. It has a very strong family and community feel. A lot of people in the Arts industry live this way.

#23 cameo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I used to live in Mosman so kind of now Lane Cove.  We now live in Highett which is the "cheaper" suburb of Bayside Melbourne.

I would heartily recommend Sandringham for you.  It's Bayside, has a lovely beach area, train station to the city (zone 1 only so cheaper) beautiful houses and a gorgeous shopping area.

Other areas in Bayside are lovely like Black Rock but they have no direct train line so travel to city is limited.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-hous...ngham-409461391

This house looks gorgeous for $750 a week.

Peak hour would take 45 mins and not peak hour 30 mins so maybe longer than you were thinking travel times but it's such a gorgeous suburb!

#24 Kreme

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (cameo @ 19/01/2013, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to live in Mosman so kind of now Lane Cove.  We now live in Highett which is the "cheaper" suburb of Bayside Melbourne.

I would heartily recommend Sandringham for you.  It's Bayside, has a lovely beach area, train station to the city (zone 1 only so cheaper) beautiful houses and a gorgeous shopping area.

Other areas in Bayside are lovely like Black Rock but they have no direct train line so travel to city is limited.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-hous...ngham-409461391

This house looks gorgeous for $750 a week.

Peak hour would take 45 mins and not peak hour 30 mins so maybe longer than you were thinking travel times but it's such a gorgeous suburb!

We saw this house, it does look really nice! Sandringham is definitely on the list. Thanks also to the PP who mentioned Williamstown. I actually met someone yesterday who lives there so we will be checking that out too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we're heading down to Melbourne for a few days this week to have a look around at all these suburbs and hopefully narrow the search a bit.

I'm quite excited by the move now (apart from the actual moving part - UGH!)

#25 cameo

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

If you move to Sandringham, there are alot of great primary and high schools in the area.  My DS goes to Black Rock Primary school which we love but there are also great schools in Sandringham too, Sandringham Primary and Sandringham East Primary.

There are so many great private Schools in the area too, if that's your preference.

I love that house too, wish I could have it!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.