Those steam mop things
Carpet cleaning attachment - any good?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TopsyTurvy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thankfully the house is mostly bamboo flooring, but DS playroom (and the bedrooms) is carpet.

His playroom carpet whilst a dark mushroom colour, still gets pretty dirty.  About once every couple of months I hand wash it (yes I am nuts) with a sponge to try and keep it looking half reasonable.  But I was wondering if one of those steam mops you see on Telly with the carpet glider attachment thing might make the task less arduous.  

Does anyone have one and do they do a good job?

#2 iheartu

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I was under the impression they deodorise the carpet rather than steam cleaning it iykwim.

You might be better off getting a wet/dry vac or something. I've seen them in godfreys for $100ish from memory.

Ps we also have a pinkish mushroom colour carpet and I too crawl around on my hands and knees cleaning it ninja.gif Tounge1.gif

Edited by iheartu, 16 January 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#3 EssentialBludger

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I have one, it's useless on carpet. Though my carpet is el cheapo sh*t that absorbs every single stain, so maybe not the best example.

I love it for everything else though.

I have the X5.

#4 epg

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have a Kenwood Ariette.
It's useless on carpet stains.  But makes the carpet look a bit fresher overall.
Great on hard surfaces though.

#5 Z-girls rock

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I have heard that you shouldnt use a steam mop on bamboo because bamboo is absorbant and might expand.... (is that an urban myth??)

#6 qak

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I think the steam mops just blow steam, where you need one that will suck as well to take the dirt OUT iykwim?

#7 countrymel

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'd just pay to have professionals come and do it for you every 6 months.

I couldn't believe how cheap they were when I got them in to do my parents house ready for the tenants!

#8 tamjk

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

You want a carpet shampooer, not a steam mop.
A shampooer sprays soapy water onto the carpet and then sucks it back up along with (hopefully!) all the dirt and grime.
A steam mop just sprays out steam and relies on friction to remove the grime, the steam loosens it but it won't lift anywhere near as much grime as a shampooer.

I have both a steam mop and a carpet shampooer, the amount of difference between how good they are at cleaning carpets is amazing.

#9 her mum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

They don't really clean carpet, just deodorise it a bit.
Either buy a cheap carpet shampooer, of if it's for just occasionally, hire the ones from the supermarket - they work really well.

#10 TopsyTurvy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Thanks all original.gif

I just checked out Godfreys online and they have a carpet shampooer for. $79

The reviews look alright too.

Might pop in and grab one original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.