Expecting Multiples #117

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#26 Twin Mum Runner

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi, just popping my head in to say hello. I found out at my 12 week scan today that I am expecting twins. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.

#27 AliGeo

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Still lurking!

CONGRATULATIONS REESAN!!! cclap.gif  ddance.gif  cclap.gif  ddance.gif Welcome to the world Holly and Kate!
Good weights and cant wait to see some pics when you get a chance. Sorry to hear that you had a horrible time in hospital, we had the same with DD, so I can sympathise.
I wouldn't worry about the cost of your night nanny if you need her. Just do what you've got to do to get through I say.

Congratulation to emso and welcome Oscar and Cooper too!!! Very good weights for that gestation, well done.

Hi to everyone else, hope that you are all surviving being pregnant or newborns.

I can't believe that Isis and Rhett are almost 8 weeks, it's gone so fast. I won't lie it hasn't been easy but well worth it. Hopefully now that things are settling down I'll be able to pop in more.

#28 Jo-Anna

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Wow! I don't check in for a couple of days and 2 sets of twins are born! Congratulations Reesan and Emso! Sounds like great sizes all around!
Welcome Dylmah. It's nice to have a new face around.
Nothing new here. Babies are growing well according to scans, in the 80th percentile. I also tested neg for GD which was a huge relief. So 30 weeks now and the real waiting begins. I am so tired and sore I can't wait for this to be over!

#29 jess1980

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Congrats Reesan good for you getting a night nanny I would've cut my right arm of for one but living where I live I was unable to get one. MAkesure you get sleep whenever you can those first few weeks are hard yakka but you'll get through it! Mine are 6 months now and I'm absolutely besotted with my little men!

#30 Alxeen

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Lovely to her of some more healthy twins entering the world!! Congratulations Esmo and Reesan! Reesan your pics on the NIMBA fb page are great, what a quick and hurried thing that turned out to be! Pity to hear hospital stay was disappointing as it can be a great help in those first few days but also cannot if you get a certain set of staff with their knickers in a twist sad.gif

I am 36+6 today...nearly full term! I had a growth scan last week and ob appointment yesterday. Ob said he was thrilled with the scan results, showing one 6+ pound baby and one 5+ pound baby (2.9 and 2.5 kgs), with good fluid and good cord blood flow. Plus the bigger one is head down and the first to escape which is especially positive for delivery. He also said he won't be booking in an induction (as can be standard in most hospitals at 38 weeks) as the scan is showing that babies are healthy and unless there is a reason to induce we will be letting me go into labour spontaneously. I'm pretty pleased with this as its my preference too and so far the pregnancy is progressing well. I'd love for the babies to arrive some time next week, but apart from BH getting no other signs. Perhaps I'll be one of those poor women that go to 40 weeks with twins!? laughing2.gif

Jess1980 Sounds like you have life all settled and worked out....busy, but under control original.gif I can just imagine that as the time rolls on and the twins get bigger every day gets easier.

DylMah Welcome! How's the pregnancy been so far? My first trimester was terrible. There's loads of resources out there for multiples, and if you have any questions just ask original.gif

Jo-Anna Amazing weights for your two little ones being 80th percentile! Hope you're feeling well, I hit a bit of a wall at 28/29 weeks, I think because I had surpassed my max singleton pregnancy size.

#31 MJCplus1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Congrats reesan on the arrival of your little girls, sorry to hear your experience was not pleasant. Hope you are all settling in at home well :-) the idea of a nanny sounds awesome! Wish I could get one lol

Welcome Dylmah! Such an amazing journey & I hope you breeze through it. Everyone on here is lovely and supportive so it's great to share the experience :-)

Alxeen wow you are amazing wanting to go past the 38 week mark! I just don't think I could do it, each day is becoming more of a struggle as each night I sleep less and less and my 20 month old is as active as ever. Always exploring & wanting to play, I feel terrible not being able to give him the attention he deserves.

I can not lay or sit in any position for longer than 30-40 mins with out too much pain or something going numb so I'm constantly moving which in itself is tiring.

My 36 week scan estimated my little boy at 2.6kg and little girl at 3kg. Will be interesting to see their actual weights in 2 weeks. Both twins still traverse so c-section booked in for 38 weeks. Unlikely that anything will change or that labour will start before then - cervix long and closed. Babies very comfy in there little home lol

Anyone else due soon?

I feel like a huge sook looking back over my post lol I'm just tired and want my Body back I guess... Less than 2 weeks to go so ill survive & I cannot wait to hold my precious babies!!

Hope everyone is well :-) xo

#32 MAandM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hi everyone,
Hoping I can join in please. Found out at our dating scan last week that we are 8 weeks along with twins! Shocked but very excited.We also have DD who has just turned 1 so three under two it is! Looking forward to getting to know you all and learn from you all!
Ali x

#33 maddyg

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and my twins are measuring just over 9 weeks (although gestational date is just over 10). We had a scan at 8 weeks and heartbeats were strong and healthy (180 and 173bpm).

We have told family and close friends today because we just couldn't keep it to ourselves any longer...but I just keep freaking out that we're going to rock up to our next scan and there will only be one there.

Has anyone else had this experience or fear?

#34 MAandM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Maddyg I worry about this a lot. I'm scared that our scan next week will show one. It's hard because we have no clue what's happening in there. Our twins measured small too, by dates I was 8 w at first dating scan but babies measured 7w2d. Is your next scan the NT at 12 weeks?

#35 Jo-Anna

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hi and welcome MAand M and Maddyg.
Maddyg I worried a lot about this at the beginning too. It makes it harder to accept and begin to get excited when you are constantly on edge. Sounds like they had great heartbeats and measuring a little off is quite common in the early days I think.

MJCplus1 Please feel free to vent away, it makes me feel better to know there is someone out there feeling the same way. I worry that my DH and mum are getting sick of hearing it but I just can't help it when I feel miserable all day long! Having a toddler as well is especially tiring. I think the pregnancy would be a lot easier (still hard work, don't get me wrong) if it was the first. At least then you could rest all day long.

Nothing new here. 31 weeks and counting down. I said at the start that I really wanted to go as long as possible and not be induced, but now the OB's offer of a 37 week induction is looking pretty tempting.
Good luck to everyone with babies due soon, I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

#36 maddyg

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

MAandM our next scan is the NT scan but we'll be just under 12 weeks (due to appointments not lining up at the OB). We go in on 21st March so only two more weeks to wait.

I think I read too much stuff about vanishing twin syndrome but everyone I've spoken to in the medical world (midwives, sonographers, OB's and paediatricians - I'm lucky to work in a medical organisation) have really not heard of it or have said that it's highly unlikely with two strong heartbeats.

I am a twin and my mum lost my twin at 28 weeks so I'm also just afraid of history repeating itself. Mum had a low-lying placenta and we must have been identical twins sharing a placenta (she didn't know she was having twins until she lost one). My twins are di-di and have their own placenta's - the sonographer said that's the lowest risk type.

Thanks for the reassurance Jo-Anna I really appreciate any pieces of reassurance I can get  original.gif

#37 muggins_00

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

I am bowing out as we found out on Tuesday at 16 weeks 2 days that one of our babies stopped growing at 14 weeks sad.gif

#38 Jo-Anna

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

So sorry to hear that muggins. Please take care.

#39 MAandM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

So sorry muggins, hope the other one is strong and well
So sad to hear that and worrying. I hope you are doing ok sad.gif

We are not sure if our twins are sharing a placenta yet, was too soon to tell. They look like they each have their own sac though so that is a positive. But the scan tech said looks as though they are sharing placenta, but as i said too hard to be specific. heartbeats were 145 and 139 at 7w2d. Find out more at second scan this coming week.
Then NT scan in two weeks.
I would feel better if we have loads of scans, reassuring
This is a scary time. I just want to be excited but its hard not to let some doubts in
Have been researching prams etc to take my mind off it. Need a wagon with three!

#40 Alxeen

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Muggins That's devastating, I'm so sorry. I hope you have been looking after yourself and surrounding yourself with loads of love and care. Sometimes unfair things happen to good people sad.gif

First trimester worries As I mentioned earlier my first trimester was the most difficult for me. Upon hearing we were expecting twins DH and I google freaked ourselves out with losing one, losing both.....the extra risks just go on, and on. Two strong heartbeats is a very good sign though, so take comfort in that. As we had ourselves so worried we only told our parents that I was pregnant and it was only on our 12 weeks scan that we told them that we were expecting twins. It was such an interminable wait to 12 weeks, compounded by the fact that I felt horrid, suffered extreme fatigue and could barely keep down my job. Having said that, the next two trimesters flew by and here I am at 37 weeks expecting to pop any day now original.gif I suppose my only advice would be to start planning ahead, do lots of reading and research any new things you might need. As my last two trimesters were so busy I found myself pressed for time, and wish I had spent those many hours on the couch or in bed doing that instead of feeling sorry for myself.

So I'm now full term, and tbh not feeling any sign of anything starting. I think these babies are going to hold on as long as they can oomg2.gif The heat is really getting to me, and the pee breaks during the night mean that I'm getting much slower during the day. It seems I have finally become the pregnant woman that whales around on the couch resting, catching up on iview and waddling to the fridge. I'd really love to have the babies some time next week  hands.gif

#41 Twin Mum Runner

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Muggins - I am so sorry.

Alxeen - Hopefully things start moving soon. Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to hear that 2nd and 3rd trimesters don't drag like the 1st.

Thank you for the welcome. original.gif

Now that the shock is wearing off, I'm kind of relieved to be having twins. It explains why I have so far this pregnancy so much harder then previous pregnancies. I normally love being pregnant, no so much this time. I can't get over how tired I am all the time. I'm already getting up once or twice a night to pee, my stomach is already heavy, and I swear I look close to 6 months.

Before we knew we were having twins, I worried how this baby would fit in with DS and DD with a 5 and 6.5 year age gap. DS and DD are best mates, and I worried baby #3 would be left out. I'm glad that worry is gone.

We've started to research new cars, and because we will need 4 anchor points for car seats, I think we're going to end up with a people mover. I never imagined myself owning a people mover.  laughing2.gif

#42 reesan

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I haven't had much time to get on here (got a lot of support on AMBA forum for some specific problems we were having with our formula blocking teats.. we never prepared for using formula because we thought with our hospital grade double pump, all our knowledge about breastfeeding, and our australian breast feeding association membership we'd be able to figure it out - but we had to start wtih formula only then progressed to mixed feeding and now it looks like they are just going to be formula babies due to my flat nipples and lack of supply).

We are doing well now and in the swing of things though still really needing periodic support from our night nanny and we have her three times this week for hubby's first week back at work.

We have realised that I need to be covering the night shift if he is to function and so working out how to get me rest at other times along with doing all the things (and calming the mind when there is so much to do) has been tough but I have become very very organized so we are all doing pretty well now.

There are some photos here if you want to sneak a peak - http://www.flickr.com/photos/63794496@N06/ - I really should have figured out how to pick a couple and post them in the thread but it's way too hard for me now. I used to work in IT so it should be easy but omg is it hard to pick up new things when you are picking up a hundred new baby things each day.

The best thing is that the babies are super cute and doing really well with putting on weight, as of last check they had put on over 10% of their birthweights in four days and as you will soon find out if your babies are early everyone puts non stop pressure on you about their weights so we are really glad that side of things is working out!

Wishing everyone well and thinking of Alex especially if you still have them in OMG and WELL DONE! This sunday will be Holly and Kate's 40 week adjusted date and I just think oh my goodness I can't believe anyone keeps twins in that long (I know it's a bit different between mo dis and frats but still).

In surprising news I lost every single pregnancy kilo in the first week and a half. I was absolutely run ragged the first week which contributed hugely I think. I weigh less now than  before i got pregnant (though different shape).

Right, that's all I have time for for now! Wishing everyone super well.

#43 *mylittleprince*

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi everyone

So nice to see the new members of the group and see how everyone is going.

Sophie and Asher turned 5 months old on Saturday. Asher is a big boy and weighs 8.220kg and Sophie 6.790kg and are both doing well. We're still exclusively breastfeeding which is going well which I'm pleased about. We've slowly started solids and they are going well. Asher slept through the night last night so hope it continues! The best decision (for us) was separating the twins, they are on their own schedules (unless we need to go out) and are content and good sleepers. Asher shares with his older brother and Sophie has her own room.

I love being a multiple mum and am really enjoying this journey. HOpe you are all well.

#44 MAandM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi allReceived the dating scan results yesterday. We are having identical twins. They have separate sacs but share a placenta.Also, there was originally a triplet! But it has not developed, explains bleeding early on. Now just waiting for NT scan in 2.5 weeks. Hoping all will be ok. Scary the unknown! Wish we had our own scan tech at home! Lovely hearing about the babies that have been born.Interested to know how feeding goes reesan, if they continue with ebm and formula or will just prefer formula.

#45 Alxeen

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hey all, guess what? I'm still pregnant! laughing2.gif

Had ob appointment yesterday, he's still happy, said 38 weekers are just like normal singleton term babies so fingers crossed once born should maintain temps and feed well. I had some monitoring done and fluid levels checked, they are squirmy little babies, and very happy in Mum's tummy! Everything looked great. I just have a feeling ant this one.....I think Im going to to stay pregnant for a while yet, one more week, maybe two! Eeek!

Reesan I love seeing pics of your bubbas, they are just SO cute! Don't stress too much about the feeding, you gave it a go, and ff makes it easier for you to manage life with twins.....well who can argue with that!

DylMah you'll find a limited selection out there with four anchor points! Not sure if its true but apparently the Odyssey only has two! I told DH if we ever had one more I'd just be going all out and getting a minibus!

MAandMM Wow, a triplet....how do you feel about that? I mean, I know it's gone now, but I imagine I'd have mixed feelings about it, sorry if I sound insensitive. I suppose it was 'meant to be' but a loss is still a loss. Congratulations on your mo-di twins original.gif and as for 2.5 weeks to NT scan....try to fill your time with things to keep you occupied, the waiting is hard!

Mylittleprince lovely to hear about a twin mummy enjoying life with twins, it sounds lovely and Im sure hearing things like that will keep me going through the first few months original.gif With the twins being on different schedules does this mean you are feeding at different times? I suppose as they get older feeds get more efficient and this is probably not such a big deal.

Ok I'll be sure to check in if I have any news!

Edited by Alxeen, 13 March 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#46 Alxeen

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

P.S. Oh and Happy Multiples Awareness Week!

#47 Jo-Anna

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi all! Thought I might come in to bump the thread up. It's been quiet in here lately.
I haven't seen you around the boards lately Alxeen so I hope that means you are busy at home with two new gorgeous babies?!
My little prince I am loving your posts and positive attitude! I am hoping that my experience goes as smoothly as yours seem to have been!
MAandM good luck for your scan, not long to go now.

32+4 here and feeling pretty miserable. DH has worked 20 out of the last 22 days and is not likely to have a day off till at least easter. DS has dropped his day sleep too which is killing me.
I feel as though in the last week my body has just fallen to pieces. Up until now I felt quite ok, but now everything hurts and I feel like I need to pee every 5 seconds. I can't even get the grocery shopping done with pain and many rest breaks. I am so glad I got the nursery done early and put all the baby stuff on lay-by. We picked it all up on saturday which was very exciting. I have played with the pram set up heaps and have found the carseats clip in and out surprisingly easily. I do look like a bit of a freakshow though, especially with DS's buggy board on the back!
I'm off for my 34 week growth scan next week. They are still both head down (side by side), which is causing havoc on my abdominal separation, but I guess that will be something to deal with once they are out, not much I can do about it now!
Looking forward to hearing how every one else is getting on. I have a feeling I will be pregnant right up till I give in to an induction so maybe 6-7 weeks. Can't wait!

#48 MJCplus1

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

Morning everyone. Just popped in to say my twins arrived!! Tuesday c-section as expected. Layla 6pd 9pz and Noah 7pd 6oz! He surprised us all by being bigger!! At all scans we were told he was atleast 1pd lighter than her lol both doing extremely well no problems as I made the 38 week mark. Will post more when I'm home and have time lol good luck to everyone about to pop and rest up those who still have awhile xo :-)

#49 MAandM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for writing Joanna hope you are taking care. What pram did you get? I'm researching prams at the moment, I will need a toddler option too as my DD is only going to be about 19/20 months when the twins arrive. Scan end of next week, can't wait. Will feel so much better when I can see they are both doing ok.
What else have you set up? You sound very organised. I'm going to try to be the same, but DH said I have to wait until 18-20 weeks to buy anything, he is a worrier.

Mjcplus1 congratulations! Can't wait to see some pics of them! They were a great size you did an awesome job keeping them in there so long! What an inspiration!
Take care everyone, nice to hear from you xxxx

#50 Alxeen

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

MJCplus1 congrats on your babies! What fantastic weights, those growth scans aren't so reliable, I always take the estimates with a grain of salt. Hope your recovery is going well and you are enjoying those beautiful babies.
Jo-Anna I feel for you, chasing a toddler and having your DH working so much would be really hard. I find pushing a shopping trolley around hard, so highly recommend online shopping wink.gif
AFM 39 weeks and still pregnant. All monitoring is looking good, I'm keen to go into spontaneous labour so will keep hanging in there. I know of some Mums that carried twins to 41 weeks, so I'm trying to be patient, however I'm finding emotions are often getting the better of me, I struggle sleeping, and I'm irritable and sensitive. I'm also getting so sick to death of well wishers calling and texting and messaging me. As much as its nice, I just don't have much to say other than I'm well thanks, and no, I'm not in labour, but you will her about it once the twins are born. I've been getting this since 36 weeks :/ I've also have four lots of false starts, getting contractions etc. and then it fizzles. It didn't bother me too much until yesterday when I really felt like things would happen within the next 24 hours of so, but no...... I'm trying hard to maintain a patient frame of mind, and also trying not to wish away the time I have to myself for the last time in ages I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.