Anyone Started Menopause Naturally?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 morgansacre

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hi,

I started peri menopause when I was about 40. I was told I should expect menopause in 5-10 years. I will be 51 in March. AF is very heavy and irregular.

So what I want to know is:

How long did you have peri menopause?
What age did you have menopause?
Did your periods just stop, or did they get less and less?
Do the hot flushes continue when menopause started?
Any other information I might need?

Thanks
Lynn

#2 morgansacre

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Anyone? sad.gif

Lynn

#3 ubermum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Not me, but my mum has discussed this with me. She was in peri menopause for a few years. Her period was no longer regular like clockwork but when it did arrive it was heavy. She was 49  and away on a driving holiday with dad and she had the worst period ever and lots of hot flushes. She said she had never bled so heavily in her life, and she resolved that when she got home, she would go and see her doctor. She didn't, but as it turned out, that was her very last period. She said that after that, she still had other menopausal symptoms, but every time she thought about going to the doctor, they weren't as bad as they had been so she let it go. They tapered off. My mum has told me that it is mind over matter and accepting it as a natural process is how to get through it. That is how she coped, I will see how I go once my time comes.

#4 Silver Girl

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

No experience sorry, but the Better Health Channel has some fact sheets that may answer some of your questions:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...pages/Menopause

#5 FiveAus

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Started peri menopause around mid 40s. Had a few mild hot flushes but mostly, I'd just get a bit warm, take my cardigan off and it never occurred to me for a very long time that it was to do with menopause. Haha, I just thought the air con at work was a bit flaky.
Periods were all over the shop for a couple of years......heavier and longer than normal few a while, then scanty and irregular. Then they just became less and less and I think they stopped altogether at about 50 but it may have been earlier. Really though, it was a non-event.

#6 MarsBarSlice

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Great question, I think this could be one of the options the gp is thinking for me. My af has completely changed and causing me problems. I'm getting some tests done to rule out other things.

#7 Feral Nicety

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

My periods this time last year were OMG WTF and I'm so grateful for the people who copped it on our weekend away and who were kind.  

Since then at nearly 50, it's been all good and manageable.  Thanks so much to the period goddess that I got to go through hell wink.gif

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

So, tell me, is a period going on for 20 days (and a mere 14ish days following the preceeding one) something one might experience during this peri-menopuase thing?

Doing my head in.

#9 FiveAus

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (howdo @ 08/02/2013, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, tell me, is a period going on for 20 days (and a mere 14ish days following the preceeding one) something one might experience during this peri-menopuase thing?

Doing my head in.

Yes it is. I had one last for 3 weeks, then finally went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for the mini-pill to regulate things. I took it for a few months, then stopped of my own accord and it was no longer heavy or lengthy. It went then to light and very irregular which was a lot less of a problem.

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

I got a referral for the gyn today. The way things are going it'll be a bloodbath if she wants to actually look at the stupid thing *sigh*. Seriously 20 days and every time I think it's stopping and slowing down it seems to start afresh! Time to ditch it I think.

#11 MarsBarSlice

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I've got an appt with a gyno on 26th this month. I've had blood tests and an u/s done. I'm not aneamic (sp?), nothing wrong with my blood count or heomoglogin. They did find cysts on my cervix and somthing on my uterus, they aren't sure what it is. My GP wasn't panicking.  Hopefully I'll get some answers. Will let you know the results.

Good luck with your appt Howdo.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm anaemic - I mean more anaemic than usual. I am really wanting to crunch ice and any little icicle or particle calls to me ... LOL

#13 scarfie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I had irregular periods for a year or so, one would be really heavy, then a couple of weeks later I'd get a lighter one, then maybe 6-8 weeks later I'd get another heavy one.  I went to the GP who did all the blood tests, and they all came back clear.  She said I was a year or so off peri menopause.

I haven't had a period in the last 6 months (I'm sure I've jinxed myself now!).  I have been getting hot flushes, but only when I go to bed, they last all of 30 secs.

My mother tells me she used to get hot flushes while she was at work, and would be wanting to strip all her clothes off, and they lasted up to an hour!  She advised me to use HRT, but if this is all I get, then I think i can manage without.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.