14 month old on lap for night flight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cocolatte

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi,
I have a quirky little idea, that I would like a bit of input on, from other plane travellers.
We are off to Singapore for 8 nights, with my 3 yr old and 14 month old. The 3 yr old has her own seat, but 14 month old is on our laps. Discount airline so no bassinet, and it's a midnight flight.
My concern is, when she goes to sleep, how I'm going to comfortably support her for 5 4-5 hours on my lap. I have medical issues with my wrists and think this might flare it up.
She hates the Baby Bjorn, but I was thinking about trying to sew a large stretchy piece of material in a circle fashion, that could go around both of us, so she'd sort of be coccooned into my front.
Thoughts, or other suggestions?????
TIA

#2 TheSmithFamily

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

We are also doing an overnight flight to KL and my youngest will be 19 months.

I am crossing my fingers there is a spare seat!

I think the sling is a good idea and a pillow too. Hopefully your three year old can sit up asleep and share the seat with your toddler?  So that their bottoms are on the seat but each has a head on your lap and your partners? Does that make sense?

Good luck and enjoy your trip x

#3 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Maybe try an ergo rather then a Bjorn? Or a hugabub? Thats what we've done with my boy for flights, but he's always loved it.

#4 LJandAJ

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Can you just lay bub across your lap, with her head on a pillow on the head rest then you can pop you hand on top of her to hold her in place

#5 Anita02

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

LJand J
Can you just lay bub across your lap, with her head on a pillow on the head rest then you can pop you hand on top of her to hold her in place

As PP said above, the pillow is brilliant. We've just come back from long night flights and I had my 17 month old on my lap throughout with his head resting on a pillow on the hand rest

#6 Mel from the Creek

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I did Sydney to Singapore on Scoot with my 18 months (then) in July. By myself.  Never again.

I had booked months and months before that when Scoot first opened and I guess I just didn't think how much bigger he would be.  He is a very active boy and he was excited and fidgeting.  He didn't cry but he was moving a lot.  We walked up and down the cabin a hundred times.

He talked to all the people around us and people were very nice and tolerant.  One gorgeous lady gave him her ipad to play with and someone else gave him some of her apple.

I felt so sorry for the poor guy sitting next to me.

The only person who was unpleasant was one of the Scoot hostesses.  She said I shouldn't let him run around the cabin.  I just smiled and ignored her.  I don't imagine she has had children.

He did not sleep the entire 9 hours but this was because the cabin crew did not dim the lights at all.  As we were descending into Singapore they turned the lights off and he collapsed.

Anyway I wish a much more pleasant flight on you.  I think if you have a few seats together you'll be fine.

Good luck!

#7 xarley

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Cocolatte @ 16/01/2013, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I have a quirky little idea, that I would like a bit of input on, from other plane travellers.
We are off to Singapore for 8 nights, with my 3 yr old and 14 month old. The 3 yr old has her own seat, but 14 month old is on our laps. Discount airline so no bassinet, and it's a midnight flight.
My concern is, when she goes to sleep, how I'm going to comfortably support her for 5 4-5 hours on my lap. I have medical issues with my wrists and think this might flare it up.
She hates the Baby Bjorn, but I was thinking about trying to sew a large stretchy piece of material in a circle fashion, that could go around both of us, so she'd sort of be coccooned into my front.
Thoughts, or other suggestions?????
TIA

We flew to the US with our 12 month old (tall) and placed a pillow across two tray tables.  Of course we were always sitting there so it was safe but it got the weight off of us and allowed one person to geta up and stretch

#8 frogcal

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Also check in early and don't be scared to ask them to block out an extra  next to you if the flight is not full. I flew 4 hours when I was 26 weeks pg with my ds who was 22 months. Discount carrier and they were happy to do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.