recommend a book for my book club!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Okay, we're meeting soon and I need to have a suggestion for my book club this year

Any recommendations??  biggrin.gif

#2 *cough*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Stalking this thread  ph34r.gif

#3 jaluke

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Minstry - one of my favourite books but also a bit of a tear jerker!!

#4 jaluke

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

sorry that should be Rohinton MISTRY

#5 CountryFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

'Perfume' by Patrick Süskind

One of my favourites and it will REALLY cause some fur to fly in the group when you are discussing it!

#6 PatG

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

The Light Between Oceans by M.L Stedman  I just read this after hearing about it on the "what are you reading" thread here.  Set in WA mostly during the 1920s.  Good, thought provoking, interesting.

#7 HappyPhantom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

#8 Ianthe

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 16/01/2013, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Light Between Oceans by M.L Stedman  I just read this after hearing about it on the "what are you reading" thread here.  Set in WA mostly during the 1920s.  Good, thought provoking, interesting.

I have read this and that would be a good book group read.

#9 Mocha Coffee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Ugh I loathed 'Perfume' but it was a good discussion!  

I suggest:

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
All That I Am - Anna Funder
Good to a Fault - Marina Endicott
The Marriage Plot - Jeffrey Eugenides

#10 EBeditor

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

I loved Perfume. Gone Girl has lot of talking points and is more recent.

#11 Kiki M

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

The lost wife - Alyson Richman
Year of wonders - Geraldine Brooks
What I Loved - Siri Hustvedt

#12 FiveAus

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

All of my book club loved The Help and The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul (if you haven't already done them).

#14 ~flaxen~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

One Day - David Nicholls

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel (also Bring Up The Bodies)

The Life - Malcom Knox

Have enjoyed these recently original.gif Don't know if they're Book Club material though.

#15 cuddlebud

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

#16 TinyTeddys

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Another for Gone Girl...

#17 LibertyLady

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

The Kite Runner: Khaled Hosseini[

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thank you everyone, the suggestions are brilliant.  On my personal "To read" list now, as well as a couple of suggestions for bookclub.  

I'm set for a few months now ....  biggrin.gif

#19 asdf89

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

A late suggestion: We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

Definitely will stimulate discussion on nature/nuture: was Kevin born bad or is it all his mother's fault. Great book that I read in about 24 hours because I NEEDED to know what happened.

And agreed with PPs - Perfume is a good one too.

#20 Therese

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Gone girl.

#21 71Cath

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

My book club is currently reading 2 books (to keep us happy over the holidays!), The Harp in the South (Ruth Park) and The Secret River (Kate Greenville)

#22 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper

(I'm sounding like a broken record in book recommendation threads at the moment!)

#23 FiveAus

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Wolf Hall would definitely cause a rousing discussion. It's one of those books where opinions are definitely divided..........you either love it and think it's a work of literary genius, or you hate it and think it's all just a big con job. This is from one of the one star reviews on Amazon:

"Reading this book is a form of torture, though not quite as bad as being racked in the Tower."

As a balance, this is from a five star review"

"The magic in this novel is that it is quintisentially English, and extraordinarily effective in painting the landscape."

I'm afraid I'm in the one star camp....I'd have given it no stars if possible, I hated it. But others I know loved it and raved about it. It will definitely encourage a rousing discussion!

#24 Illiterati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

There is also a movie of it if you you want to be like George Costanza and watch that instead!

#25 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 16/01/2013, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'Perfume' by Patrick Süskind

One of my favourites and it will REALLY cause some fur to fly in the group when you are discussing it!

QUOTE (HappyPhantom @ 16/01/2013, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

My book club loathed Middlesex, because they were all soft suburban mums who didn't want to think about things. Tounge1.gif I didn't dare suggest Perfume!

Seriously though, they like inspiration Eat, Love, Pray books  sick.gif

Tuesdays with Morrie was about the only book they suggested that I actually "enjoyed", though I must admit I cried most of the way through it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.