Update #53 - Anyone else have an ant problem?
Sydney area

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 ~~~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Afternoon style_emoticons/default/original.gif
We have had an increasing problem with ants in our house, not just food areas (although kitchen is actually spared mainly) but upstairs and here and there and (almost) everywhere. I'm not sure if it is the hot weather, last summer was a lot milder, but thought I'd see if we were the only ones with unusual ant activity.

I remember years (decades) ago when we had huge amounts of those little cockroaches for a couple of summers, and I have read somewhere that ants come inside more when its going to rain bigtime..... but the problem with that is no.... Sydney is not in for a deluge any time soon.....

Anyone else have too many ants?

Thanks

Edited by ~~~, 21 January 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#2 fizzy19

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Shocking at my house over here in Perth. I've booked the pest control to come and spray for them on our block rather than chase them around like last year.

#3 katniss

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yes! I can't get rid of them. They are literally driving me insane. I can't even figure out where they are coming from. So I've just gone around the outside of my house and scattered ant sand because I've tried everything else - all the natural remedies, got a pest guy in. So far it's working for the main lot of ants but there are still randoms hanging around.

#4 erindiv

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's ant season.

Having it the same this summer as last one. Everywhere. Can't get rid of them with anything. I've resigned to the fact they'll be around until the weather cools, and until then I'll keep squishing them and using fly spray on their trails.

#5 *melrose*

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Yep! i think it's the hot conditions that are bringing them out.

Had them bad here in Brisbane.

Edited by *melrose*, 16 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm on the Gold Coast & it's driving me nuts here. No amount of surface spray or bates is getting rid of them.

#7 ~~~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I used Antrid fairly successfully, but I'm just so surprised to see them in areas that are nowhere near food etc.

#8 mrshappymum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I feel for you! I have been living in my current house for 3 years and had them every summer. At the beginning of December I decided to get a pest controller out who gave me a special syrup to get rid of them, you just put a small amount where the ants are via a big syringe and they gravitate to it and take it back to the nest, when you first put it out it attracts SO many damn ants, I was freaking out! But then in the morning when I would check they are all gone, not a sign of them.
Well 7 weeks on I am free of ants! Yay!!

and yes they mainly came in my bathroom and never in my kitchen!!

#9 lisacat

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

We have them in our laundry. Normally I use antrid and it works well, this year nothing will deter them. I am in Canberra.

#10 BeYOUtiful

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yes, i even had one bite me on my inner thigh!  I steam mopped the floors yesterday and we have been out all day today so not anything on the floor for them to be attracted to (ie toddler food droppings).
I noticed one crawling up the wall a little while ago near the study desk.  Yet there are none in the kitchen.

We use antrid, but it only works temporarily.

eta: We are in Sydney

Edited by ~Jane05~, 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#11 ~chiquita~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yes, I'm in Sydney and am also having 'ant' issues but only in my kitchen. First time I've seen them inside and we've been here 2 1/2 years.

#12 ~~~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Oooooh, I feel special..... I have spam in my thread eexcite.gif

#13 Puggle

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

We're in Canberra and have had them for the last week.

Last year we had to get the pest guy in as there was a nest somewhere in the house/roof. Our skylight was literally covered in dead ants (we also had a spider problem which wasn't surprising given the ready supply of ants as food). Ant bait (which the ants LOVED) was put down on the main access trails but it still didn't fix the problem. The pest guy came back and tracked them down - they were nesting in the roof inside the metal pipe style supports for our satellite dish. More bait and that was the end of that. If we ever have a problem to that extent again I will not hesitate to call the pest guys straight away.

Edited by Puggle, 16 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#14 Batmansunderpants

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Ant rid is your friend.

#15 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yep, definitely a problem here. Not even sure where they are coming from anymore.

Ant rid did nothing.

#16 Chelly_M

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Ants everywhere here in Perth. I have been waging war against them all day today, they're everywhere and it's driving me mad! I've been tolerating them until today when I saw them all over dds water bottle in her room, some on her bed, in her bedside table, grrrr.  Even found a few randoms crawling in ds's cot ohmy.gif Need to convince Dh we need pest control to come in I think!

#17 asdf89

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

My mum swears by a mixture of equal parts brown sugar, bread crumbs and borax... the sugar and breadcrumbs will bring out every ant in the suburb Tounge1.gif but they take it back to the nest and it poisons the lot of them.

Put the mix around the place in a jar lid/on alfoil/similar out of reach of kids and pets and wait!

#18 ~~~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (asdf89 @ 16/01/2013, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mum swears by a mixture of equal parts brown sugar, bread crumbs and borax... the sugar and breadcrumbs will bring out every ant in the suburb Tounge1.gif but they take it back to the nest and it poisons the lot of them.

Put the mix around the place in a jar lid/on alfoil/similar out of reach of kids and pets and wait!

I read up about borax - I thought that Antrid had borax in it..... We just have the liquid version and it seemed to work well, but you do need to have it on the trail where they are.... we have too many random ants around to put the drops everywhere. I was working off the premise before that we only had ants when there were crumbs etc, but this isn't the case anymore.

#19 WizzFizz

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I started with them in the bedroom but now seem to have them coming out of my laptop ! Little buggers have been living in there somehow I think.

Arrrgghh...driving me crazy !

#20 lizzzard

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yes! We have them in Sydney too. Mostly in the kitchen, but they seem to have appeared out of nowhere!

#21 asdf89

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (~~~ @ 16/01/2013, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read up about borax - I thought that Antrid had borax in it..... We just have the liquid version and it seemed to work well, but you do need to have it on the trail where they are.... we have too many random ants around to put the drops everywhere. I was working off the premise before that we only had ants when there were crumbs etc, but this isn't the case anymore.

This mix doesn't have to be put on the ant trail - they will sniff it out where ever it is!

#22 ~ppp~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

-
-

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 01 March 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#23 ~~~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (knowsnotmuch @ 16/01/2013, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First step is to catch a few in stickytape and send them to your ag dept for identification (free in wa and likely elsewhere). The two main differentiations are whether they are sugar ants or protein ants (preferred food source).

Yes, I have noticed that we have 2 different types of ants, one small and black (went nuts over Antrid) and the other (in the kitchen/dining area) are a lighter brown and a bit smaller/thinner.

#24 ~ppp~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

-

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 01 March 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#25 Leha

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

We had a terrible ant problem last year. I'm in south sydney. Our pest man sold us this product that you put across their trail and they all swarm to it and take it I to their nest. We just did that a few times and I haven't seen any inside since. It works well because they take it back I to their nest and the other ants consume it as well.

I just found the packet. It's called DuPont advion and is about $50 but by gosh it works well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.