Would it change your perception of a gift
Loyalty program points

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Superman+4sisters

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Would it change your perception of a gift if you found out it was purchased using points from a loyalty program?

The last few years we've paid for a magazine subscription for a relative using Frequent Flyer points. They found out and basically said "Thanks a lot" in a sarcastic way.

Our approach is that normally we'd use those points for grocery vouchers or other things we need. Money is always tight, we work hard to make it stretch as far as it can!

So would it bother you how a gift was paid for? I'm not talking about freebies here, or re-gifts. Just gifts bought using points. I'm just about through with all the politics of gift giving - for adults anyway. This year I think I'll stick to gifts just for the kids.

#2 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Nope. I am grateful for any gifts. original.gif As long as the gift wasn't stolen I am happy. original.gif

#3 ~sydblue~

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Wouldn't bother me. You had to buy stuff to get the points, so the gift probably cost more when points are used.

#4 allthiseffortpaidoff

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

How ungrateful!

It doesn't matter how a gift was purchased!

#5 zackcat

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

#6 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

No, wouldn't bother me at all.

I use my loyalty points for a mag subscription for myself original.gif

#7 erindiv

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Uh, no, you still 'paid' for it, in a way.

I wouldn't be buying it for them again.

Edited by erindiv, 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#8 FiveAus

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Wow, how ungrateful! I used to get bonus points from my employer to spend on an online gift site, and I used to give the points away as gifts. The recipients were thrilled to receive them because they could then choose themselves a really nice gift and the points were always worth more than I'd usually spend on a gift.

#9 MrsWidget

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Not at all. I'd appreciate your thoughtfulness.

#10 Sui-yat

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. You have to spend a lot of money to earn those points and could have redeemed them for something to use yourself.

However, I have been known to use gift vouchers given to me to buy a present for someone else.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

What??

Well it's a bar of soap for you next year Mr/Ms Ungrateful!

I don't give a flying fart how my gift was obtained (well.... if it was stolen I wouldn't be impressed!) I just love that someone has thought of me and what I would like.

We give second hand, hand me down and home made in this family too without drama though.. and EB has lead me to understand that this is not the norm..

#12 JRA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

What a prat of a person.  Give them nothing next year

#13 FluffyOscar

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 16/01/2013, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope. I am grateful for any gifts. original.gif As long as the gift wasn't stolen I am happy. original.gif

This.

Ungrateful!

#14 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 16/01/2013, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here.  You would have had to spend the money to get the points anyway.

OP, how does that person feel about handmade/homemade gifts?  Are they ungrateful twats about that as well?

#15 MintyBiscuit

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wouldn't bother me at all. I think what they actually meant to say was "I'm an ingrate, please don't bother giving me gifts anymore"

#16 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#17 snuffles

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Would not bother me at all.

#18 Mpjp is feral

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 16/01/2013, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and even then...still happy biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

#19 lizzzard

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I definitely wouldn't mind!

I'm thinking the person probably doesn't understand how these things work...or gave it much thought. Perhaps they thought it was a free gift you got and you didn't want? (not that that should make much difference)...but some people aren't familiar with the sophistication of reward programs these days...

#20 bakesgirls

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I've done it myself. My points were about to expire, so I used them to get a gift for someone that I knew would like what I chose, and it would have cost more to buy than I was going to spend in actual cash.

As long as the gift didn't 'fall off the back of a truck', I wouldn't care. I'd be pretty miffed if someone was unhappy with me using points. How ungrateful of them.

#21 luke's mummu

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

No I wouldn't mind at all. I do this every year for my son's Kindy teachers. They each get a $20 voucher for Myers (not Coles-Myers) that I save my points from during the year to buy each December. It's just another form of savings, I could spend it on myself at Myer during the year, and then they would get nothing!

#22 Jax12

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

ohmy.gif How ungrateful of them!  Save your points for yourself or someone who will appreciate them next time.  Or better yet, get them a donation gift from Unicef.  That way they can't complain you haven't spent your own money plus you will be contributing to someone worthwhile and grateful.  They sound like the type who would really appreciate such a thoughtful gift!   wink.gif

#23 Coffeegirl

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

My rewards points are worth more than cash and take ages to build up original.gif

I thought of buying DS an ipod touch with my points for his birthday.  Would cost me 55,000 points.   With 55,000 points 3 of us could fly from Sydney to Hamilton Island and back!!!

#24 Poss and Soss

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (laracps @ 16/01/2013, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me it's indifferent from where the money comes from. It's a gift, not an obligation.The fact you spent some time to choose something you think I would like (instead of a gift voucher) is heaps more important.

My family give me a gift voucher most years for XMAS from loyalty points.

It does hurt as they put a lot of thought into everyone else's gifts but I get a Coles Myer card.

If they chose a magazine subscription I'd like with the points instead I'd be thrilled.

#25 Lees75

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have done exact that. I used my points to buy a magazine subscription for the kids to give to XH for Christmas. Seemed less painful than laying for it with actual money, although in reality, it is the same given that I usually get Coles vouchers with my points and use them for groceries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.