115 replies to this topic

#1 Chelli

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

New thread time original.gif

You can find the link to the last thread here

Chelli

#2 joolz

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Planning to take DH, DS 10 and DD 6 in September this year...staying for about 12  days.
Will be following these threads with great interest.
I see there are flight on special at the moment - but you have to travel before or around July.
Im tossing up between letting a travel agent do it all, or do it myself - any tips?
Probably stay around Legian...have stayed there once before with a girlfriend...not sure about villas or hotels, we wont be needing kids club...
Julia.

#3 Glr-r

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'd do it yourself, heaps cheaper, easy to book online flights and hotels. Legian has heaps of nice accommodation and IMO it's the best location, you get the best of all worlds.

I always start here: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g6084...ali-Hotels.html
when looking at accomodation, i usually start at the top and then have a seperate window open where i look at the hotels website and go through about 10 or so, crossing out one's that don't appeal usually i end up with a short list of 4ish then it's all about narrowing it down original.gif

#4 miss*k

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

count down is on for March. YAY can't wait. We got married over there last year so plan is to go back every year for our anniversary. Met a family there from adelaide last year who we have kept in touch with, meeting them again this year. We stay at the same hotel.

Ramada Bintang from the 11th March to the 22nd.
We will be there for Nyepi this year.

#5 upstyledown

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

We've booked flights to Bali for my husband and I in April. Now the hard part, choosing accommodation. I'm looking for some recommendations. I like the look of Kuta Paradiso but a friend of mine thinks it looks run down. Has anyone stayed there recently? We would prefer to stay in South Kuta, within walking distance to Waterbom, Discovery Mall etc. We'd like somewhere that does a decent buffet breakfast too. We tend to fill up at breakfast and it get's us through the day. Any recommendations?

#6 knickerless

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

My friend swears by Kumala Pantai, right on the beach front  in Legian and about $100 a night I think? (I know of a great place just behind there that makes made to measure sandals for $25 and will copy any shoes you like!)

#7 paod

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Upstyledown don't bother with the kuta Paradiso.
It looks flashy in the foyer but rooms are run down and pool is old.
Enjoy your trip

#8 Cazjade

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Can anyone give advise for Bali travel with a family of 5.  

We are looking at Kuta and have found a place called Bali Dynasty which looks lovely and can accomadate a family of 5 but has anyone stayed there and is it as good as it sounds?  I know pictures can be taken to make it look nice, this will be my first trip overseas so I am excited but also want it to be as awesome as I imagine.

Also can anyone suggest some fun family activities either they have done or know of? I have a 14 yo DD, 9 yo DD and by the time we travel a 6yo DS

Thanks heaps Caz

#9 mrsjane

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have stayed at the Bali dynasty before, long way of from the beach, i would say the hotel is around 3 star, they have a pub which is relatively quiet except on theme nights, forgot the name of ti though.

Room wise is very normal, nothing luxurious and the aircon can be quite cold, used to go to Bali for work and the company would send me to stay there as it was cheapest and nearer the airport but further from kuta beach.

If you really want to find the best hotels, consider using travel websites like wego.com.au to look for accommodation to suit your needs. Also, look online for reviews , as in real reviews by people, can go visit travel blogs to see what the others recommend.

Also, in Bali, there are many areas to stay,
kuta beach (main), hard rock cafe is there
seminyak - higher upscale restaurants, party, night life
ubud - further and ideal for those seeking a retreat, think zen and yoga, ommm
sanur - somewhat like ubud but a tad livelier. just a tad

#10 Ashtonsmum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

cazjade -

Bali Dynasty is nice, I have stayed there, but it is expensive as well. Its really not central to everything, and I think with small children that is important. One good thing is it does have a kids club if that interests you, not many other places do. Consider the Bali Garden Beach Resort. Its right on the beach and across the road from waterbom etc. Another option is the Kuta Townhouses. Friends of ours stay there a few times a year and we will be staying there in March.

Miss K - we will be there from the 16th til the 26th of March (we fly out at 11pm) We are staying in Ubud as well as Kuta. I wanted to stay at the Ramada Bintang but we couldnt get a family room there sad.gif

Joolz, I research EVERYTHING online, and then my sister the travel agent will beat the price  grin.gif (most airlines charge booking fees etc and she will waive this) Most travel agents will to get a sale. For this trip its been good because she was able to book a hotel I wasnt able to book myself (they kept telling me that they didnt have what I wanted), I booked our KTH accomodation direct with them as its the only way you can book with them. I also find it comforting that someone is managing my booking, and as they are professionals they dont miss things like I probably would.

#11 upstyledown

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback paod. I've taken Kuta Paradiso off my list.

The next on my list is the Ramayana Resort & Spa. Does anyone have any feedback on this one?

#12 Cazjade

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks ladies I love the feedback, any help is awesome original.gif, I will look into the Bali Garden hotel, my partner is intent on Kuta.  I wouldnt mind somewhere with a kids club so we can have time as a couple as well as being there as a family.

Is it far to travel to Ubud from Kuta? Can you do a day trip there and back?
I would like to see the Monkey forest, and I think DD 14 would be thrilled (as will the other two but she is animal mad) I'm finding it challenging to find places for a teenager as well as the 9 and 5/6 yo.

#13 Glr-r

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Bali dynasty is nice but busy, we prefer the quieter holiday inn which is a few hotels down adore the kids club there, santika, kartika and the cheaper Bali Gardens are all nice down there. Depends on your budget, another popular budget hotel along there is febri's.

#14 Glr-r

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Ubud from kuta depends on traffic but definetly doable as a day trip, the majority of things in bali are, most are about 1hour to 1.5 hours away and most people get a driver to take them in the morning and return late arvo.

#15 FPVmum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Hi we are heading to Bali in March (13th) for my 30th. taking the children 3 and 8 and hubby of course original.gif We will be staying at the Hard Rock Hotel in Kuta!

Has anyone used http://www.bali-nanny.com/index.html

Any feedback would be awesome.

TIA

#16 Parkersmum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Joolz...definately consider doing it yourself or at least researching yourself and then seeing how the travel agents compare.

Best tip is to check all the airlines daily as specials can pop up instantly.  We have just booked for September and booked one way with Air Asia and return with Garuda.  Thats another tip, you dont have to fly the same airline both ways.  Garuda had been $300 one way and a few days ago I checked and there were limited seats at US$58 one way ($140 with tax).  

Jetstar had a sale when I last checked so have a look at their website.

I check the following airlines if you are flying from Perth:

Air Asia
Jetstar
Virgin
Garuda

FPVmum - did you just book Hard Rock direct on their website?  

Good luck!!

#17 FPVmum

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Parkersmum, no we booked through Escape Travel original.gif

#18 naturalgoodness

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

FPVmum - take a look at Balis Best Babysitting on Facebook all of their nannies are:

English Speakers
First Aid & CPR Trained
Experienced with western children
Warm & caring
Non - smokers
Reference Checked
Have Police Clearance (SKKB)
Can swim

They will also look after 2 children at a time or 3 if the 2 older only require supervision not changing/feeding etc.

This is who I will be using for our next planned trip in December. Also check the Bali Travel Forum for babysitting/nanny services

#19 Ashtonsmum

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

thanks for the babysitting link. I will check them out. It would be great if DH and I could have a couple of nights out without the kidlets xx

40 days for us!! I know its the wet season but hopefully its not too bad. The kids ask every day how much longer we have to go. Im going to help Ashton make a countdown calendar tonight.

#20 Cazjade

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

The Bali nanny idea is awesome thanks for sharing that link.  

We keep hearing about different hotels, has anyone stayed or heard about Fabris or Wina holday villa in Kuta? They seem to have specials all the time...  I've got three favourites at the moment, but we are waiting for airfare specials for November so I'm wanting backups incase they are booked out by the time we book our flights..

Cheers Caz

#21 FPVmum

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Cazjade, my MIL has stayed at the Wina holiday Villas as far as I know from what she has said it was a great place to stay, I am sure she is staying there again when she goes back in May.

35 days too go original.gif

#22 PurpleNess

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Ladies & Gents  anyone know of a small 2 bed villa with private pool that has a permanent pool fence!!
I've found a few but they are larger.
Happy to look at Seminyak, Kerobekan, Canggu etc - NOT Kuta

Thanks

Edited by PurpleNess, 11 February 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#23 our3girls

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Cazjade

We have stayed at Febris twice in 2010 and 2011, we loved it there.

The location, the staff, the rooms ( huge family rooms with a good size fridge for supplies) Buffet breakfast was great and the day spa is awesome.

My girls are desperate to go back and if we were going back to Bali would definately stay there again,but there are so many countries to see. We were all sad the last time we left knowing it would be a while before returning.  

If you do stay there I can also recommend a driver that is just outside, we used him every day as well as airport transfer.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

#24 Percoriel

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

If anyone is looking for a fantasic family friendly resort, I can highly recommend the Novotel Benoa. We stayed there for ten days in January and we all loved it.

We stayed in one of their family rooms which has a king size bed in one room and a bunk and day bed in an adjacent room. We can't fault the resort. It was fabulous. If you are looking some where to relax and get away from the hassle of Kuta, it's great.

#25 loubee

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Just booked DH and I for our 10yr anniversary in June. Just us. No kids! And with Mum and Dad looking after them I'll even come home to a clean house  biggrin.gif .

We are staying 5 nights in Ubud at Greenfields and 2 nights in Seminyak - probably Royal Beach Seminyak but tossing Niksoma about as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.