Inner ear infection - no pain

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OneProudMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Has anyone ever suffered an inner ear infection but not had significant ear pain?

My symptoms are:
- dull ache on one side possibly from ear/neck
- dizziness
- vertigo
- ringing in my ear
- nausea

I don't have any significant pain but I need this sorted ASAP. sad.gif

I have been up to the hospital and seen 3 different GPs and none of them can give me a significant diagnosis.

Edited by OneProudMum, 16 January 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#2 **Xena**

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Sounds like labyrinthitis to me. I suffer from it and it sucks. Unfortunately it's also not treatable except they can give you something for the nausea and you never know how long it will last.

#3 OneProudMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 16/01/2013, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like labyrinthitis to me. I suffer from it and it sucks. Unfortunately it's also not treatable except they can give you something for the nausea and you never know how long it will last.

How did you find this out?

#4 TillyTake2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Do you mean a middle ear infection or an inner ear infection? Inner ear infections can be very very serious. If you feel your hearing has been affected I would go to the hospital or if you have an ENT ring them. If you hum does the sound seem to go to the bad ear? If yes then that is good & a sign it is a middle ear problem. If no, then that is a sign there is a problem in the inner ear (cochlea) & it needs URGENT treatment to prevent permenant hearing loss.

Another option would be to make an urgent appointment with an audiologist tomorrow who will be able to tell you if it is middle or inner ear.

#5 TillyTake2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

If you have already been to hospital did they have an ENT registrar see you? Have they prescribed steroids or anything?

#6 **Xena**

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I got an attack when I went away on holiday once. At the time I had no idea what was going on but my ear felt funny (not sore though exactly) the floor was rising up to meet me and I felt nauseous and had a panic attack (panic attacks can also be a symptom). I went to the GP when I went home and he told me that's what it sounded like to him. He gave me medication for nausea but said that's all they can really do. I read up on it afterwards to learn more.

#7 OneProudMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (TillyTake2 @ 16/01/2013, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have already been to hospital did they have an ENT registrar see you? Have they prescribed steroids or anything?

No they checked me for signs of stroke and heart problem as my heart was beating fast.

This is a rundown

THURS NIGHT
Feel like I'm going to faint, feeling all symptoms above. Get DH to run me to the ED. Start panicking so they look for signs of heart attack or stroke. They ran ECGs and bloods. No mention of ear. Nothing significant found.

SATURDAY
Spent in bed feeling absolutely terrible.

SUNDAY MORNING
Feeling the same so take myself to oncall GP. He prescribes stemetil and ear drops and says its possibly viral. He orders a holter monitor because I told him hospital was more concerned about my heart.

MONDAY MORNING
In such a state I take myself to GP early morning feeling panicky about symptoms. She does ECG. Nothing found.
GP says there is a dizzy virus going around and I need to rest.

MONDAY - TUESDAY
Fitted with holter monitor. Still feel unreasonable but symptoms slightly improve.

WEDNESDAY
Back to same GP I saw Sunday and orders a b12 shot and sends me on my way.

TONIGHT
Hit rock bottom again, feel all the above symptoms. Got my DH to drive me 1 hr away to see massage therapist who says my neck, shoulders and back are completely knotted. Gives me a massage and sends me home. Some improvement but still feeling that something is not quite right. Hard to pinpoint with such a low B12 store.

#8 Wahwah

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yes, I currently have an ear infection without pain and am using antibiotic drops. I also have permanent unilateral tinnitus, and sometimes have achey neck / head that impacts on my ear and sinus problems.

Are you panicky because you are worried about the symptoms, or is the feeling of panic one of your symptoms. Because in your initial list you don't mention any chest/breathing issues, only that your heart was beating fast in a later post.

I live with ear problems which 2 ENT's haven't been able to diagnose and I'm off (on my GPs recommendation) for another opinion. I'm not going to worry until someone tells me something I don't want to hear.

#9 OneProudMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Wahwah @ 16/01/2013, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I currently have an ear infection without pain and am using antibiotic drops. I also have permanent unilateral tinnitus, and sometimes have achey neck / head that impacts on my ear and sinus problems.

Are you panicky because you are worried about the symptoms, or is the feeling of panic one of your symptoms. Because in your initial list you don't mention any chest/breathing issues, only that your heart was beating fast in a later post.

I live with ear problems which 2 ENT's haven't been able to diagnose and I'm off (on my GPs recommendation) for another opinion. I'm not going to worry until someone tells me something I don't want to hear.

I am panicky because of the symptoms. I am scared there is something more sinister. I forgot to add the GP looked in my ear and just said it had a bit of wax but I didn't think inner ear infections were visible unless a scan is done?
I can't sleep as I'm so worried.

#10 OneProudMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I actually work with a GP (in my 8th year with him) and after the run around I've had I am seriously contemplating asking to see him tomorrow.

#11 **Xena**

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

It might be worth seeing your GP and just bringing up labyrinthitis. Your symptoms do sound pretty similar to what I get so it's worth bringing up if for no other reason than to rule it out. I have found that a lot of GPs don't seem to know a lot about it, I was lucky the one I saw did. If you want to do some more reading on it this is just wiki but it's pretty accurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis

#12 OneProudMum

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

How many bouts of it do you have a year, and for how long and do they treat your symptoms?

#13 Mummy2RyanandAlex

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Meniere’s disease ?

#14 Peppery

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (Mummy2RyanandAlex @ 16/01/2013, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meniere’s disease ?

I was going to suggest Ménière's disease as well. My mum suffers from it. I'm sorry but I am not quite sure how it was first diagnosed I was about 8 at the time and just can't recall.

#15 TillyTake2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

The main question is whether your hearing is affected. If it is & it's not a middle ear infection (which it doesn't sound like) then you need to be seen by an ENT NOW. You need to explain your hearing is affected, you are dizzy, you have tinnitus etc. If it is this it is most likely one ear affected, highly unlikely both.

Menieres is unlikely to present with this length of duration as a first attack.

I really think you need to go back to hospital & ask to be seen by an ENT. Whether or not the hearing is affected & if it is one or both ears are important diagnostic factors so you need to include this in your description to them. Along with the tinnitus.

#16 capper

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

I second a visit to an ENT.  My DS has had many ear issues and a CT scan was how they found out his issues.  They are ongoing and he has now permanently lost hearing, but it is manageable once the diagnosis is made.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.