Would you buy a 2 bedroom house with two kids?
If you're a single parent?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 paula1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Hi,

I've been looking to buy a house/unit for the last couple of months and not having a lot of luck.
Initially I was looking for a 3 bedroom place for myself and two boys aged 6 and 8.

I'm beginning to think that a better option would be a 2 bedroom place as other wise i'd have to move out further, 15-20 minutes.

I thought that I could use this place as an investment property in a couple of years and then upgrade my home.

Would you consider this? Do you think I could be limiting the future potential renters/buyers by purchasing a 2 bedroom house?

I know that in my budget I have to compromise on something and for me I'd rather live a bit closer in and closer to amenities than further out as I won't be changing the boys out of their school.

Any opinions would be great.

Edited by paula1, 17 January 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#2 Madnesscraves

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Definitely.

I can't see why your two boys can't share. I recall seeing studies say it improves sibling relations and encourages sharing. But I'm sure a lot of factors come into play here.

Is there room for them to go crazy? How will you juggle bedtime?

I can't see how you'd be 'limiting' yourself with a 2 bedroom home. They sell well to first home buyers and IP people to rent out. I have a 2 bedroom apt I rent out in the city and its always has 'young couples' in it, despite the complex having a children's playground in it!

#3 Bart.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Absolutely.  My boys share.  Having separate rooms is a luxury and sometimes personal space needs to be sacrificed for external factors.

Turn the room into a pirate theme or something similar with different spaces for each child.

#4 cinnabubble

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Yep. We have two adults and two kids in a two bedder. It was that or the boon docks and dodgy schools.

#5 Lady Garden

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 17/01/2013, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep. We have two adults and two kids in a two bedder. It was that or the boon docks and dodgy schools.

Same here.

#6 MintyBiscuit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

For kidsof that age, definitely, as long as the bedrooms are either quite a decent size or there is a lot of living space. Sleeping wise it would be easy enough to do with bunk beds, my only concern would be them having enough space to play, whether it's inside or outside.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

If you aren't intending any more kids and the second bedroom is a big enough size for them to comfortably share as they get older, I would.

#8 *melrose*

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Yep for sure.

#9 Musk Sticks

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

I think the market for a 2 bedroom property is increasing - so I wouldn't worry about resale value.

I also think that in general it is great for kids to share a room with a sibling. As long as the room is big enough that they can each have some personal space, it can work out well.

I shared a room with my younger sister until I was 17. It was a love/hate relationship but it greatly enhanced my ability to compromise, respect, share and be tolerant etc.

Edited by Bobita, 17 January 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have a 3 bedroom house for 5 people so not much difference. My 7 and 8 year old boys share original.gif

#11 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

I would never do it myself but considering your children are both the same gender and close in age I think you could manage it. I'd definitely give them the larger of the two bedrooms and take the smaller one for myself though.

#12 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

I would do it, too.    At the moment my girls have their own rooms because DD2 was, up until recently a terrible sleeper.     But when we move into our new house mid-year, they will share a room.     I think it's good for them to learn to share, have boundaries and respect.

#13 paula1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

I feel comfortable with it as the alternative would be further out and time wasting to get to school etc. The area I'm looking at has decent high schools too although I'm planning to buy something different by the time they're in high school!

A smaller house in a better area that is closer in, is more important for me.

The boys share a room now btw but i just assumed that i could buy a place where they didn't have to share!
Bunk beds would definately be the go next time.

Also....some friends and family have said " OMG!! They have to share a room?? But what about their privacy etc?"
I have never heard of anyone dying or being scarred for life because they had to share a room!
Especially not if it was going to be affordable and everyone was having a stress free life with yearly holidays!! (Because having a 2 br house makes it affordable)

Edited by paula1, 17 January 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#14 vanessa71

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I can't see why not. What is it in this day and age that says kids can't share a room?

My parents bought a house in 1979, they had 2 children at the time, however three years later they had another baby and the house was still a 2 bedroom house. We coped, can't see why your boys wouldn't.

#15 Therese

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Yes I would.

#16 Mpjp is feral

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

3 bedder for 3 kids here - so two share. If we wanted to live inner city then that was it. Adavantage of that is that virtually none of teh kids at school have their 'own' rooms unless they are only children!! So our kids dont know what they are missing uot on. original.gif

#17 Mpjp is feral

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Also my girls have those loft beds from IKEA with the high beds and the desk and shelving underneath, which gives them their own 'spaces' and more room in the actual bedroom as well.

#18 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Going against the grain but I HATED having to share a room with an absolute passion and wouldn't make any of my children share if they don't want to. We bought a bigger place a fair way out of town because space, for us, trumped convenience.

#19 Ally'smum

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I would just make sure there is enough living area/back yard.
Also, all of the two bedroom places I have seen have small bedrooms.

There are three of us, DH & I and a two year old and we don't have enough space inside, the loungeroom gets used for everything. We are putting up with it for as long as we possibly can because we don't want to move further out, but if we have another baby we will have to move.

For us the advantages of being inner city far outweigh the space issues.

#20 BetteBoop

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Yes, I would.

QUOTE (paula1 @ 17/01/2013, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that I could use this place as an investment property in a couple of years and then upgrade my home.

I wouldn't plan to do this though. For several reasons, I would aim to keep a principal place of residence as separate from an investment. If you plan to buy an investment in a few years, then cross that bridge when you come to it. Don't start paying off a home loan to use as a rental.

If you have doubts you'll be happy to stay in this house, then wait. The property market is dropping rapidly throughout Australia (I'm sure people start going on about some anomalous mining towns where prices are booming, but that town is not reflective of the rest of Australia).

My advice is to take time and find a house you'll be happy with for a long time. In the meantime, keep saving and do lots of research on listed prices and sale prices.

#21 Kay1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Depends on the rest of the house. My two older boys share. they are 7 and 4. They like it and are happy. But they really only sleep in their room as we have a play area.

I have read that having private space is particularly important for boys as they become teens. We have a spare room downstairs that we can use when we get to that stage if they no longer want to share. So if you are planning on moving again when they are teens then I would go for it. Or if the house has some other space that you can designate to each child.

#22 MsDemeanor

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Definitely! Especially in the short term, with your boys at their age. I could never do it as I have older kids, a boy and a girl with a four year age gap/

#23 Justaduck

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Not us personally, we had little enough space with 3 bedrooms. I guess a lot of it depends on how big your living areas are and if you have a dedicated study as well

#24 Holidayromp

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Yes if you are renting but no if you are considering buying.  We have empty two bedders around here that have sitting unoccupied for months due to lack of interest.  With a two bedroom property it is just that and if something changes in the future where you will need the extra bedroom even if it is for storage/study whatever you either have to embark on costly extensions or have the hassle of selling up and buying a three bedroom.
I have bought a two bedroom house before with my ex and it didn't work out because the house was not the biggest and most of the stuff had to be stored underneath and the damp ruined most of it anyway.
If I had my time again (not with him though original.gif) It would be three bedroom.  Also another way of looking at it is rates - the block of land could be the same size as a large house yet you are going to be paying the same amount for a p*ssy two bedder.
Not worth it.

#25 gemgirl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yes, do it! Sounds great if you've got two boys, similar age group

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.