3 yr old 18 kilos
Car seat laws help please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gossipgirl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

OK with all the target sales and carseats on special my cousin has posted on facebook that she picked up a bargain a booster for under $100 her son turned 3 about 3 weeks ago she says he is 18 kilos and is using the harness that you add on to it and so its fine.

So is it???  because he is 18 kilos he can sit in the booster with the harness on or is still the fact he is under 4 he legally has to stay in a seat with the in built harness?
Thanks in advance original.gif

#2 ~_jen_~

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

The rules do state that "A 3 year old child that is too big for a child seat can be seated in a booster seat instead."

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safety/D...aints_qanda.pdf

#3 ~_jen_~

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

From my knowledge of car seats, I would think the important thing is that she uses the 5 point harness and not a booster with the car seat belt. Also, the booster seats with backs on them are more effective.

#4 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I am more inclined to go by weight rather than age.

#5 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

I have a 3yo who was 19kg by his 3rd birthday and 108cm - I bought the biggest car seat available with a 5 point harness because he had already outgrown the one he got at 2.5 when his little brother graduated to his seat!

I recently had to have him in a seatbelt/booster in the UK as there was no other option and no way would I take that option before I had too. He didn't look safe, he could undo the seatbelt, he could lean forward and reach the window (manual), door handle, his brother...

But mine might be a bit more 'active' than hers.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

New seats are height based not weight based.

Legally he should still be in a seat with inbuilt 5pt harness. An add on harness with a booster does not satisfy this legal requirement, as well as not being recommended due to potential safety issues -refer to sticky at top if this forum about safety concerns over harnesses with booster seats.

An old up to 18 kgs seat was tested with 22kgs test dummies, so is fine to use to 22kgs. Current height based marked seats will suit children up to over 120cm in height depending on the seat. Most seats allow for children to 110cm and the smaller ones to around 100cm. So there is a vast difference. You may have issues legally arguing that your child was too big for a seat if they are only 100cm.

So unless you nephew is over 120cm in height and over 22kgs your cousin is breaking the law as well as not looking after her child's safety.

ETA also unless he is around 100cm he may not reach the minimum height requirements for a booster seat.

Edited by lsolaBella, 17 January 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#7 Gossipgirl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thank you for the replies he doesn't look like he is 18 kilos or over but I guess if he is and she wants to have him in the booster than its fine.

I had my Daughter in a in built harness until she was over 4 and was told her seat was tested with a dummy over 18 kilos so it was ok.

Car seats stress me out I always pray that my kids are restrained properlly.

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

So unless you nephew is over 120cm in height and over 22kgs your cousin is breaking the law as well as not looking after her child's safety.

I agree with this  - going by height is more important too

I had my daughter in the 5 pt till she was 7 and my son in the booster seat till he was 150 cm

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 17 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#9 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I would be concerned that a three year old would not be mature enough to use a booster.

Edited by sparkler, 20 January 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#10 LeiLei

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I agree with the OPs - he is not big enough for a booster and should be in an in-built harness.  Despite being the law, it is far safer for him.

There are plenty of tall convertible booster seats to keep him in an inbuilt harness for a good couple of years yet - some like the Infa Rallye/Rovette/Roamer are often on sale for $130.

http://www.mybabywarehouse.com.au/index.ph...seat-black.html

Your cousin could return the booster and pay $30 more to have a safe and legal seat for her son.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.